Australian Idol 2006 (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Thank goodness Lavina is gawwwwwwwwwne!!

I wonder what will happen with the band if theyre doing Idol originals? Will the contestants tell them what to do? Hmmm...I cant imagine what sort of thing Ricky would write...prob some rnb crap...

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I think its gonna suck for the people that dont write their own material. I know Lisa, Bobby and Damien do already. Ricky possibly, I dont think Jess does. Chris is in a band isnt he? So i suppose he probably would. And I dont think Dean does either.

So probably 4 people with their own songs.. what are the others going to do? They might look silly up against the ones that have their own thing. And Ricky, Jess and Dean dont play instruments either?

Perhaps i should visit the idol site.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lourai*87 said:
So probably 4 people with their own songs.. what are the others going to do? They might look silly up against the ones that have their own thing. And Ricky, Jess and Dean dont play instruments either?
that's just like any other night though, bobby/lisa don't do disco, or rock, or anything besides their own style

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
That's why people love them. I'm completely sick of the Ricky/Lavina try-hard/diva types. I used to watch Idol for amusement but I'm now seriously tuning into the performances because there are some real artsist there.

lourai*87 said:
I think its gonna suck for the people that dont write their own material. I know Lisa, Bobby and Damien do already. Ricky possibly, I dont think Jess does. Chris is in a band isnt he? So i suppose he probably would. And I dont think Dean does either.

Perhaps i should visit the idol site.
Dean plays the guitar and writes his own material although that "Nice to Meet You" song he sang at his first audition was atrocious.

anniea89 said:
WTH? I can't believe Lavina got booted off. She was one of the best performers in the comp.

Lisa should not be in there. She ruined Heart of Glass and she has zero stage presence. Fine, she is "unique and original" and I can appreciate it, but she imo is NOT Idol material. Same goes for Bobby. The point of having theme nights is to prove versatility. He did not do Disco, he did what he felt like which was not the point.
Lavina = performer only in the sense that she has a good voice. She doesn't connect with the audience. She comes bounding out and nobody even gets up to dance or clap. Zzzzzzzzzz. No x-factor whatsoever.

I think most people are aware that Bobby and Lisa aren't Idol material and I doubt they're unaware of the fact themselves. The point is to get recognition and a foot in the industry.

As for Bobby's disco "cheating", pfffffft. The rule is to pick a song from the period. That's it. Are you seriously saying that you'd rather put up with Damien's horrific car crash performance (which stuck with the theme in terms of song as well as style/arrangement) than Bobby's brilliant arrangement?

anniea89

HSC
I don't want to start a fight, but firstly, Lavina definately connected with the audience. Everyone got up as soon as she started singing. Maybe it didn't come out that way on t.v but she is a diva and you have to respect that.

I appreciate the fact that Lisa and Bobby are different, but in all honesty, I couldn't watch their performances. Lisa ruined Heart of Glass- she should ahve picked something else. It had too many high notes and she just wasn't showing any range.
As for Bobby, he personally has not impressed me. His arrangement was great, but it was a boring performance to me.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I think it's just different tastes in music, I guess. I actually did like a few of the songs Lavina sang but she just comes across as very fake and full of herself. Or maybe it's just over-confidence. Either way, it's off putting.

Coincidence but I just saw this msn article and it just made me dislike Lavina even more if that's possible http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=70834.

Anyway, does anyone know how we can find out the song choices for next week?

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Whoops, yeah. It's not I haven't made clear how much Lavina annoys me anyway. Ack.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
anniea89 said:
Lisa should not be in there. She ruined Heart of Glass and she has zero stage presence. Fine, she is "unique and original" and I can appreciate it, but she imo is NOT Idol material. Same goes for Bobby. The point of having theme nights is to prove versatility. He did not do Disco, he did what he felt like which was not the point.

I'd like to see Dean, Jess, Damien and Chris in the final four
Ditto. That'd be my final 4, too.

Lisa and Bobby are unique, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're idol material and/or will sell records. Lisa is extremely boring, has no versatility, looks like a child, has no maturity, and mumbles through her on-stage interviews. Who the hell keeps voting for her?

I did like Bobby's superfreak arrangement but didnt like how he didnt even attempt a disco tune. At least put in the effort e.g. Damien. So what if you crash and burn, you'll get the sympathy votes anyway e.g. Damien & Lisa.. and you'll know that you pushed yourself & went outside your comfort zone.

Ricky's good, but he's yet to do his "wow" performance. Give it a couple weeks and he'll get there.

I'm sure acoustic night will be Dean's breakthrough performance. But imo, since Bobby got a touchdown for superfreak, Dean should've got one for doing gloria estefan. Most of the group knew that disco "isnt their thing" yet Dean proved he could do it if he actually tried.

/2c

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
I hope so. I'm still confused if they're allowed to sing originals or just play instruments. Hopefully they'll post it up on the site tomorrow.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
on the tv ad, they mentioned original songs and instruments.

MikiRei

HSC
lol - i hardly watch these days. Just the last few final shows (if I manage to flick to it whilst eating dinner)

I just like Bobby - the end. But I reckon he should just get second, get the publicity and go off and do his own things. He's too good for idol - far too good. :p The idol tag will just ruin him. Dean is probably the one that fits the Idol stereotype better.

Anyways, tra la la....

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
So it looks like Sunday night is just guitar/instrument night, and not original night.

Chris- No More Lonely Nights, Paul McCartney
Damien- Wicked Game, Chris Isaak
Dean- On the Way Down, Ryan Cabrera
Jess- Have You Ever, Brandy
Bobby- Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac
Ricky- Feel, Robbie Williams
Lisa- See You Soon, Coldplay

Hmmm. Dean sang the same song to get into the Top 24, and he did a good job of it from the little bit we were shown, though I have to say, I don't think that song is anything spectacular. And Lisa sang that song in one of the packages shown, and I thought she did a pretty decent job of it. Hopefully they'll all live up to the hype that "guitar night" has been generating.

Last edited:

purplemonkey

HSC
Sunday night is Contestants Choice #2
Monday night is Verdict show
Tuesday night * Idol Originals * but no judges, and I dont think the public can vote...I'm assuming this is the show that costs $15 coz its a charity event...should be good though...or maybe interesting is a better word :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Annegelic said:
Gloria Estefan wasn't daring enough?
Beside that. With disco, practically any selection is daring but once it gets back to a "regular" night, Dean's choices are disappointing. I generally like the kind of music he does, the whole light "pop/rock" thing but it gets boring. His disco night performance was the best so far but he getting back to his boring roots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)