• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Islamic School BANS Australian National Anthem (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A BRISBANE school has banned the national anthem at assemblies and sacked the teacher who asked for it to be played.

Australian International Islamic College teacher Pravin Chand was sacked in November, four months after his proposal for students to sing Advance Australia Fair was ruled to be against the "Islamic view and ethos".

A memo sent to teachers at the Durack school in July and obtained by The Courier-Mail, also said "the singing of the anthem will be put on hold".

The revelations follow an outcry on the Gold Coast this week at a plan by the same college to open another campus at Carrara. A vocal crowd draped in Australian flags accused the college of promoting segregation, anti-Australian values and even terrorism.

Muslim leaders slammed the protests as "un-Australian" and claimed religion should not be used as a reason to protest against a school.

School chairman Imam Abdul Quddoos Azhari yesterday denied the anthem ban and said students sang it "at every function".

But Mr Chand, whose version of events was backed by a second teacher, said he had not heard the anthem once this year.

"No national anthem to me means no integration with Australian kids," Mr Chand said. "Western values (at the school) are a no-no.

"It's like a paramilitary camp that place."

Mr Chand's employment was terminated by the college board last month on the grounds he was "not fitting into the school's ethos".

Outgoing principal Azroul Liza Khalid, who started at the school in July, said she had not heard the anthem once at assembly, although it was played two or three other times.

Ms Khalid said she was told by a board member not to play the anthem or any songs on Friday because it was a holy day. In July, school assembly day was moved from Monday to Friday.

A spokeswoman for Education Minister Rod Welford indicated it was unlikely a public school had banned the national anthem.

"It's not compulsory for schools to play the national anthem," she said. "There's an expectation it would be played on formal occasions when the Australian flag is being raised."

A Catholic education spokesman said: "I'm absolutely confident that no Catholic school has ever banned the playing of the national anthem and never will."

School trustee Keysar Trad and Imam Quddoos said they had not heard of the ban and supported the playing of the anthem at future assemblies.

The future of the proposed 60-student college at Carrara will be decided by Gold Coast City Council next year.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24754060-1248,00.html

Talk about being in a Western Country.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'm all for keeping your original cultural traditions but this is just retarded

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
School trustee Keysar Trad

boris

Banned
HSC
lol those islams, at it again. Hilarity will ensue

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
At a Jewish primary school I attended they flew the Australian and Aboriginal flag proudly and sang the Australian National Anthem whole-heartedly.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
JaredR said:
At a Jewish primary school I attended they flew the Australian and Aboriginal flag proudly and sang the Australian National Anthem whole-heartedly.
well they control the whole country, of course they'd be happy to sing the anthem ;)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I suggest other Australian schools now ban Islamic music and culture.

shakky15

HSC
Trefoil said:
I suggest other Australian schools now ban Islamic music and culture.
i dont know if thats meant to be sarcasm, but if you meant it, it was a pretty silly thing to say. what islamic music and culture do 'australian schools' even partake in? and to retaliate to this article by just doing the same back is plain dumb. grow up. i bet this article is rubbish... trying to spark controversy.

katerebecca

HSC
They need to remember they live in AUSTRALIA. We would never dare to go to theirs and enforce upon them our culture and be so inconsiderate as to not adapt to and recognise their traditions.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
katerebecca said:
They need to remember they live in AUSTRALIA. We would never dare to go to theirs and enforce upon them our culture and be so inconsiderate as to not adapt to and recognise their traditions.
Isn't one of our traditions not forcing people to do things?

monesh

HSC
shakky15 said:
i dont know if thats meant to be sarcasm, but if you meant it, it was a pretty silly thing to say. what islamic music and culture do 'australian schools' even partake in?
multi-cultural day maybe and the arabs playing their arab music all the time, well that's at my school...

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
shakky15 said:
i dont know if thats meant to be sarcasm, but if you meant it, it was a pretty silly thing to say. what islamic music and culture do 'australian schools' even partake in? and to retaliate to this article by just doing the same back is plain dumb. grow up. i bet this article is rubbish... trying to spark controversy.
The Muslims are coming!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I wonder if this would be in the news if it were just some regular school.

shakky15

HSC
sam04u said:
I wonder if this would be in the news if it were just some regular school.
we VERY rarely hear the national anthem at my catholic school... in fact, im not sure when it was last played.

noo the catholics are gonna take over!!!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
shakky15 said:
I'm going to call them on monday and ask why.
I'll see if I can record it too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)