Australian Muscle (1 Viewer)

lengy

HSC
The Holden ute IS the Rodeo unless you're talking about the Commodore based 'utes'.
I've seen a few F150 around. I thought that there was a F250, it's bigger than the F150. I should wiki it.
The muscle ute culture is just starting up especially with the Toyota Hilux.
You can buy American cars from this car lot on Parramatta Road, it has a number of different types of American cars, not just muscle, as well as Australian classic. That's if you live in Sydney though.
I only drive a V6 Camry and it's good enough for me. I love it. :)

j_davo24

HSC
blackkatz said:
I think ive seen a few Torana's before, but are they great cars? IMO the 68 Monaro is a beauty, but i like 69 Charger more
Depends what you want. They were one of the only cars released worldwide with the option of having a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine. The V8 models used the same engines as those in the Monaro's and we're actually the race car of choice at the time due to the fact that they were lighter and easier to handle.

Heres a few links to info on Australian Muscle cars:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_monaro.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lc_gtr.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lj_gtr.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lh.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lx.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_falcon_gt.htm
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_chrysler_pacer_charger.htm

The LX A9X Hatch is probably the most famous torana theres should plenty of information on the net in regards to it search it on google if you're interested.

We don't have it yet, only purchased it last weekend and it's being delivered this weekend. But I'll see if I can get some when we get it. Oh and btw I wish I owned it, but sadly it's my fathers. Lol.

lengy said:
I've seen a few F150 around. I thought that there was a F250, it's bigger than the F150. I should wiki it.
Theres both, the number designates the cargo capacity of the vehicle 1.5 tonne for the 150 and 2.5 for the 250 AFAIK. I stand to be corrected though.

lengy said:
The Holden ute IS the Rodeo unless you're talking about the Commodore based 'utes'.
I think that is more than likely what he is reffering too. They have models such as the SS ute with the same V8 as the commodores and new Monaro and then theres the HSV Maloo as well.

IMO you can't really categorise a HiLux as a muscle truck. Until fairly recently it was a strictly commercial vehicle, the latest generation has included some styling to make it more 'appealing' to the general public. Still isn't in the same league as the big American units in terms of muscle.

Although I will concede they have great potential for modification as seems to be the way to do thigs these days.

blackkatz

HSC
^ Thanks! Those links sure help a lot!

The Toranas uses the same engine as Monaros? Thats news to me

I think Ive seen some 68 Monaros too, but I never realize it until now!
About the Torana: muscle "hatchbacks"? Never see that one in the States. FYI I love hatchbaks than sedans/coupes

If u get your hands on the car, can u post in how it handles and kicks?
I really wanna know how powerful/driveable is an Aussie muscle. And if it doenst bother you, how much did you pay for it?

^^ Ute IS the Rodeo? I thought the Rodeo is an SUV and the Ute is half car-half open bed? Ive been in Sydney/Melbourne last year, and have been seeing them around (the front looks like a monaro). I think they're cool: muscle half-open beds <please, correct me. I dont know what they're called>
Plus, Ive seen one in Jakarta. I remembered it was black, and just looks nice even by just sitting there in front of me. I heard that they can go fast

I wont class in the Hilux as muscle, but it does look big and intimidating. I'd class in Datsuns as muscles tho (ie: s30)

I know about the new Commodore, but does Holden make any new changes on the Monaro? As much as I like the Commodore, the Monaro's looks appealed to me. The Commodore is beautiful IMHO, but the sleeper look of Monaro just takes me away
And I havent been able to get the current price range on the Monaro. I just wanna know how expensive they are and do tehy worth the money paid.

Sorry, for sounding oblivious but is there other Aussie manufacturers that produces muscle cars other than Holden? I just havent been able to get new infos lately.

Plus does anyone know where to get American cars in Melbourne (just for refference)?

Thanks a heap guys!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I like Aussie Muscle only because it's.. Aussie.

Otherwise I'm not a fan of muscle cars. Much prefer my Jap or Euro.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
HQ holden or a ford falcon hardtop... i think these are from '75 or thereabouts
i like the shape

j_davo24

HSC
blackkatz said:
About the Torana: muscle "hatchbacks"? Never see that one in the States.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/a9xclub/gALLERY/

That link should have a fair amount of pics of the A9X Hatches. They were officially an option pack that could be applied to the standard model range. The rules of Australian Touring Cars at the time stated that so many of the vehicle that was to be raced had to be available to be purchased by the public. So it was a car that was specifically developed for the Bathurst 1000 (which you might not be familiar with so heres a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathurst_1000 ).

blackkatz said:
If u get your hands on the car, can u post in how it handles and kicks?
I really wanna know how powerful/driveable is an Aussie muscle. And if it doenst bother you, how much did you pay for it?
Dad took it for a test drive and also another guy whos had alot of experiences with them. It's not set up for blistering off the line acceleration. It has the A9X box in it which was designed for the endurance race mentioned before so first gear is very tall with the other ratios closer together. It'll go fast but it won't get there as quickly as one set up for acceleration/drag.

As far as the handling is concerned it's had a power steering conversion done to it so it shouldn't handle too badly.

We also have an LJ torana (can see them in those links I posted previously) and I've driven that. It's got some pickup for a 6. Although it has been worked so it should go harder than the standard engine. As far as the handling of the LJ it's got quite heavy steering and Dad wouldn't let me get it moving because he'd jsut bought it and I'd only just got my P's. Lol.

blackkatz said:
I thought the Rodeo is an SUV and the Ute is half car-half open bed? Ive been in Sydney/Melbourne last year, and have been seeing them around (the front looks like a monaro)
Yeah thats right. The Monaro is basically a 2 door version of the commodore with a few other little changes. So they look very similar.

They can go quick is they've got the V8 in them. The standard sixes are no slouch either mind you, but they also won't do anymore than your standard family sedan.

blackkatz said:
I know about the new Commodore, but does Holden make any new changes on the Monaro? As much as I like the Commodore, the Monaro's looks appealed to me. The Commodore is beautiful IMHO, but the sleeper look of Monaro just takes me away
And I havent been able to get the current price range on the Monaro. I just wanna know how expensive they are and do tehy worth the money paid.
I don't know if you are aware, but the new commodore has just been released on a completely new design platform that will become the GM standard for rear-wheel drive vehicles. The new Chevy Camaro is also going to use this platform and the new Monaro which I think is going to be released early '08.

The Monaro was also sold in the US as the Pontiac GTO and in Great Britain (and probably other parts of Europe) as the Vauxhall Monaro VXR.

The V8 monaro's, new ones, retailed for between $A60-70k. If your talking prices for old ones, as always depends on model and condition, originality (Ie. matching numbers), etc.

blackkatz said:
Sorry, for sounding oblivious but is there other Aussie manufacturers that produces muscle cars other than Holden? I just havent been able to get new infos lately.
Yeah, Ford. At this stage thats about it. Although there are rumours that the Pontiac might be entering the Australian market in 2008 and that the new Camaro will also be sold here (although it might still be sold under the holden nameplate instead of Chevrolet).

lengy

HSC
What would you prefer? It to be sold as a Holden Camaro, Holden Monaro, Holden xxxxxxx, Chevrolet Camaro or Chevrolet xxxxxxx? I prefer if they keep the Chevrolet badge and if successful bring in more of their model lineup and hopefully a Corvette. :p

j_davo24

HSC
lengy said:
What would you prefer? It to be sold as a Holden Camaro, Holden Monaro, Holden xxxxxxx, Chevrolet Camaro or Chevrolet xxxxxxx? I prefer if they keep the Chevrolet badge and if successful bring in more of their model lineup and hopefully a Corvette. :p
The Monaro will be a completely seperate model to the Camaro. It just uses the same basic architecture of the GM Zeta Platform.

I'm with you, keeping the Chev name would be better in my opinion, however GM might feel that may be considered a cannabalistic move placing direct competition onto Holden's Monaro.

It's release here isn't confirmed yet, so we will have to wait and see what they do.

Yes, a Corvette would be a nice addition to the Aussie market... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)