• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (6 Viewers)

spiny norman

HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Slidey said:
Looking at history is fine, but you're looking at history of the past 60 years, not past 10.
Well, naturally? In the past ten years people were better off under Howard, because he's been the only Prime Minister for the past ten years (aside for Rudd's eight months, so it's hardly fair to compare him yet).

And would you really say that people of Chifley's era were better off? Really? People of Howard's era had no wars (I wouldn't exactly count Afghanistan's liberation which we sent just a couple of thousand elites to),
Well, Chifley was only a wartime Prime Minister for one month. I more considered him post-war Prime Minister as I wrote it.

economic stability and prosperity,
Chifley's economic management was excellent. Though Australia was still going through rationing, he was easing it out. Australia had full employment in that period, without massively compromising workers' rights. In that economic sense (the sense that most Liberal supporters seem to think counts) Australia was better off than it's been before or since.

easy access to high technology, easy access to high medicine, world-class levels of health to go with it
All true enough, but that's the context of the time. That people are not hospitalised for influenza at the same rate is not something for which Howard can be commended, nor for which Chifley can be condemned. It should be noted, too, that it was Chifley who introduced a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, so accessibility for the best medicine of the time was quite high.

good foreign relations
I question this. I think many nations of the world have a lesser view of Australia after Howard. His unwaivering commitment to Bush's wars, along with the mandatory detention policy have soured the world view of Australia. Likewise the Cronulla riots, which received worldwide attention, mean some foreigners (and Australians) see Australia as xenophobic. I won't argue it wasn't xenophobic in 1945-1949, and Chifley undoubtedly had some terribly racist policy. However, that was quite common for the time, whereas the racism that has been borne out of the Howard years is regressive.

a very small income gap
The income gap's the biggest it's ever been?

world-class levels of education (8th in the OECD)
But amongst the worst for the poorest in the population.

good healthcare and welfare.

I don't think too many people on welfare would agree.

I do of course realise that we rode on the backs of the efforts of earlier prime ministers, especially with respect to economic and social reform, but Howard certainly didn't screw it up, at the very least.
Oh, I'd say he did.

If it weren't for Stanley Bruce and William McMahon I'd not hesitate before naming Howard the worst Prime Minister Australia has ever had. As is, I'll hesitate first.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

spiny norman said:
Well, naturally? In the past ten years people were better off under Howard, because he's been the only Prime Minister for the past ten years (aside for Rudd's eight months, so it's hardly fair to compare him yet).

Well, Chifley was only a wartime Prime Minister for one month. I more considered him post-war Prime Minister as I wrote it.
Post-war recovery and Cold War count as part of general war-time to me. I love Chifley, and he was an epic PM, but he still had completely different conditions to Howard, and was in power when the world was much, much different to today. It's silly to compare.

Howard isn't the best PM we've had. But Australians under Howard enjoyed a great quality of life; probably the best in the country's history. You don't need to like Howard to accept the later proposition. :rolleyes:

Chifley's economic management was excellent. Though Australia was still going through rationing, he was easing it out. Australia had full employment in that period, without massively compromising workers' rights. In that economic sense (the sense that most Liberal supporters seem to think counts) Australia was better off than it's been before or since.
It's silly to bring up Worker's rights since they only really became an issue at the very end of his tenure and were quickly torn to shreds by the Australian public (remaining, for the most part, theoretical and untested, thankfully).

All true enough, but that's the context of the time. That people are not hospitalised for influenza at the same rate is not something for which Howard can be commended, nor for which Chifley can be condemned. It should be noted, too, that it was Chifley who introduced a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, so accessibility for the best medicine of the time was quite high.
I'm not commending Howard for it; I'm simply observing that Howard wasn't some demon who fucked up Australia, and certainly improvement in technology and health continued unabated under Howard.

I question this. I think many nations of the world have a lesser view of Australia after Howard. His unwaivering commitment to Bush's wars, along with the mandatory detention policy have soured the world view of Australia. Likewise the Cronulla riots, which received worldwide attention, mean some foreigners (and Australians) see Australia as xenophobic. I won't argue it wasn't xenophobic in 1945-1949, and Chifley undoubtedly had some terribly racist policy. However, that was quite common for the time, whereas the racism that has been borne out of the Howard years is regressive.
Don't get me started. I seriously question the validity of claims that Australia is racist, but that's been done to death in other threads around here. Anyway, I never mentioned foreign perception of Australia, I mentioned foreign relations of Australia; they're actually two fairly different things.

The income gap's the biggest it's ever been?
Oh is it just? Could you please provide a little evidence?

I'm willing to accept, once you provide some evidence, that the income gap is showing a widening trend. But under Howard the income gap was kept remarkably small for the majority of his tenure. I fully expect it to start to widen a bit, as well as other economic problems to occur now that Rudd is in power. Do I blame Rudd? No, it's natural economic variation; neither Rudd nor Howard can control the American economy for instance.

But amongst the worst for the poorest in the population.
Absolutely false. The educational quality disparity w.r.t. income is no worse than the norm for OECD and I doubt any worse than it has been in the past in Australia. What's with making stuff up just so you can rag on Howard?

I don't think too many people on welfare would agree.
Yeah, because instead of the government giving them wadloads of cash for luxury and hedonism, it gives them enough to live on and support themselves with while seeking employment or education. That's a good thing; it's a safety net that encourages independence, something which Howard introduced.

Oh, I'd say he did.
Please do. Please explain how Howard screwed up Australia?

If it weren't for Stanley Bruce and William McMahon I'd not hesitate before naming Howard the worst Prime Minister Australia has ever had. As is, I'll hesitate first.
In what way was he the worst PM? Is it because he was part of the Liberal party and your delicate left-wing sensibilities can't stand the idea of a right-wing PM doing some good?

Howard turned out to be completely out of touch with Australia in the end, and I'm darn glad the Liberals lost; I voted Greens. But it's silly to deny that life was good under Howard.

spiny norman

HSC

Slidey said:
Post-war recovery and Cold War count as part of general war-time to me. I love Chifley, and he was an epic PM, but he still had completely different conditions to Howard, and was in power when the world was much, much different to today. It's silly to compare.

Howard isn't the best PM we've had. But Australians under Howard enjoyed a great quality of life; probably the best in the country's history. You don't need to like Howard to accept the later proposition. :rolleyes:
Well, yes. However, as you say, it's silly to compare. Is Australia better now than it was 100 years ago, when tuberculosis was common, penicillin not yet discovered and anyone not an Anglo-Celtic male was a second rate citizen? Obviously. Therefore, the question to argue (and what Rudd was saying in his speech that you commented on that prompted the argument) is are Australians best fulfilling their potential now? And I would argue, in that sense, no. Australia is not better relative to the rest of the world as it has been in the past.

I accept this isn't how I articulated my previous argument, but it's how I took the statement (and Howard's "working Australians have never been better off" statement). As you say, it's silly to compare Australia with the technology of the world now vs Australia with the technology of the world then without taking the wider context into account.

It's silly to bring up Worker's rights since they only really became an issue at the very end of his tenure and were quickly torn to shreds by the Australian public (remaining, for the most part, theoretical and untested, thankfully).
Howard began doing so from his very first term, with individual contracts. Look at the situation on the wharves. Howard always ideologically opposed unionism, and over his twelve years set out to massively weaken them. It was only that in his final term, wherein he had the Senate to do whatever he pleased, that he really went too far too quickly for the Australian public. But no, Howard was the greatest enemy the working classes ever had.

I'm not commending Howard for it; I'm simply observing that Howard wasn't some demon who fucked up Australia, and certainly improvement in technology and health continued unabated under Howard.
But even then, Howard's support of the big business moguls has hindered his allowance of major advancements that had been progressed during the Keating years. For example, Australia was the leading nation in solar power research in 1996, but today has fallen well outside the top ten. There's that story of the fellow who couldn't get government funding in producing solar cells, so went to China, where he's now one of that country's richest men.

Don't get me started. I seriously question the validity of claims that Australia is racist, but that's been done to death in other threads around here. Anyway, I never mentioned foreign perception of Australia, I mentioned foreign relations of Australia; they're actually two fairly different things.
I don't necessarily believe Australia is racist, but there's no question there are racists in Australia. And Howard played to them and set out policy to exploit those feelings of xenophobia in the community to rally behind him. Each Prime Minister post Menzies furthered Australia's move to a more racially tolerant nation, but Howard stopped such progress and turned back the clock.

I recall reading an interview with Malcolm Fraser, who claimed the reason he appointed Howard as Treasurer following Phillip Lynch's resignation is that he felt Howard would be of least threat to his leadership - that Australians would never accept such a picket fence racist as Prime Minister, and therefore Fraser's position as leader would be, to a point, safe.

Oh is it just? Could you please provide a little evidence?

I'm willing to accept, once you provide some evidence, that the income gap is showing a widening trend. But under Howard the income gap was kept remarkably small for the majority of his tenure. I fully expect it to start to widen a bit, as well as other economic problems to occur now that Rudd is in power. Do I blame Rudd? No, it's natural economic variation; neither Rudd nor Howard can control the American economy for instance.
I don't have the source on hand, and am a bit too tired and tipsy to do a thorough search. But, in my understanding (and please by all means show me wrong), the income gap expanded to a rather large extent under Howard. I won't argue that it had been doing so under Hawke and Keating also, but, from what I know, it increased dramatically under Howard.

Absolutely false. The educational quality disparity w.r.t. income is no worse than the norm for OECD and I doubt any worse than it has been in the past in Australia. What's with making stuff up just so you can rag on Howard?
As above, I'm not really up to finding the source at this moment, but again, I recall reading it (something like our impoverished are in the bottom two OECD nations in the world? I think). On both of these points I'm happy to be shown to be wrong, if I have my facts muddled.

Also, just because this is the best place to put it (and is an opportunity to rag on Howard with something that's absolute fact), Howard's increasing the cost of university courses, and introduction of full-fee paying university places, was disgraceful.

Yeah, because instead of the government giving them wadloads of cash for luxury and hedonism, it gives them enough to live on and support themselves with while seeking employment or education. That's a good thing; it's a safety net that encourages independence, something which Howard introduced.
Howard introduced welfare payments?

I am not just referring to unemployment payments, but likewise to the senior's pension (which increased well below the rate of inflation, under Howard) and others of that ilk. Anecdotally, I have a friend whose mother is a rather ill diabetic, whose father is absent and has a younger 13 year old brother. She is her mother's carer, but the payments are so low that she is unable to live anywhere off the state's allowance bar a housing commission place. Because her mother doesn't want the son to grow up in such a neighborhood, my friend has taken on a cash in hand night-time job, so as to keep them in a half-decent household.

While no doubt such stories existed pre-Howard, I think he's done so little to appease the situation, and the prevalence of such have only grown. The sign of a nation's greatness is how it treats its least fortunate people. Howard could not give a shit about them.

Please do. Please explain how Howard screwed up Australia?
Howard's ideological dislike for anything not outside of his view of a perfect Australian society was treated with disdain. The working class, the poor, non-Europeans, homosexuals, non-Christians - he had little time for these people. Howard's agenda was to better those in strong social/economic positions in this country. To achieve this, he exploited the fears of the people of his country so as to disunite them and remain in power, governing for those at the top. Howard may not have screwed up Australia to the extent that, for example, Honorius fucked up Rome, if that's the argument you're trying to make. However, Australia is a lesser nation because of him.

In what way was he the worst PM? Is it because he was part of the Liberal party and your delicate left-wing sensibilities can't stand the idea of a right-wing PM doing some good?
Not at all. Fraser was a part of the Liberal Party, and he was okay (likewise Gorton and, to go back to Commonwealth Liberals, Deakin). It's that he was a reactionary, an economic rationalist and, in short, a right cunt.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Howard's battlers?
I think he was a lot more common than you give him credit for... To a large extent and for a long time, I think he was a pretty good mirror of Australian society. The fault is not in our stars...?

spiny norman

HSC

Iron said:
Howard's battlers?
I think he was a lot more common than you give him credit for... To a large extent and for a long time, I think he was a pretty good mirror of Australian society. The fault is not in our stars...?
I don't know about that. To take, for example, Menzies and his anti-communist shit. Was he just mirroring Australian society, or was he engineering and manipulating it to be a beast that will return him to government? I think Howard did that to a huge extent, too (not with communism, obviously).

There's this old debate as to whether art influences society or the other way around. Is it the depiction of violence in movies that create a more violent society, and etc. I think the question could well be asked of many of the world's leaders - in their being products of their societies, to what extent is it the opposite that is the case?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I just watched our Immigration Minister announce a substantive end to Howard's cruel detention policy.
Why he was at ANU law school, I cannot say for certain.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Asylum-seekers allowed into community

"Obviously what we're hearing is very good. Australia is the only country that has mandatorily detained anybody who has arrived without a document, and up until 2005 that included families with children," spokesman Graham Thom said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24094733-421,00.html

Of course illegal immigrants without any identification documents do not deserve to come here, they CAN pose a threat to the community + It's unfair to those who came to Australia legally and costly, compared to those who jump ship here illegally.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

lol personally, with the asylum seekers, i think they should be placed in detention centers and not placed in the community BUT given proper accommodation and human rights that western civilization upholds and fights for around the world.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

WEST Australian Premier Alan Carpenter is set to call a State election for September 6.

A spokesman for Mr Carpenter says the premier will visit WA Governor Ken Michael this afternoon at 2.30pm (WST).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

spiny norman said:
Eh, I agree with you anyway. I hate the direction of the Liberal party, and despise economic extremism (both conservative and communist).

Progressive

HSC

Iron said:
A thread to discuss domestic political events that dont quite warrant their own thread.

A substitute to fill the vaccume left after the big election threads.

Discuss, laugh, cry. Will be more lax on spam here, as long as it's broadly Australian politics.

/coff/ So.. hows about that Brendan Nelson? Back in single digits I see.
yeah the Brendon Nelson thing, lets take a look at that. lets look at all the Liby's first we got Tony abbot smart intelligent got a bit of PR problems says weird things from time to time...mmmm no for opposition leader.

Then we got hot shot business man Turnbull hahaha, primeminister material my rear side pure self interest. no for opposition leader.

Then we got Costello GEEE PETER i thought you where leaving politics, why did u come back ofcourse, he came back, he's useless outside of politics how he going to lobby theres no liberal party in power hahaha, so hes media men makes him look good knocking back a big corporate job to be opposition leader, I MEAN THE GUYS GOTT AN EGO THE SIZE OF THE UNIVERSE go to bloody united nations. lets not start with the GST issue with costello, there not much stemitle to go around. i mean if Peter comes back whose he punching for the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE or HIM SELF hmmmm something to thingk about isnt it.

Conclusion i gues the only bloody decent bloke left for the job is Nelson. hahahahaha. :uhoh:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Costello v Rudd would be a great campaign. I'd prefer Turnbull to Costello, but I suspect that Rudd would win that contest without much sweat.

When it comes down to it, I doubt that Costello has many ideas for the future. I doubt that he'd be a particularly successful PM. Like poor, poor Beazely (ANU Chancellor 08 HURAR) he's a believer in the politics of inheritance. So i'm not convinced that he'd even campaign with all that much passion or enthusiasm. But what's certain is that a whole bunch of electorally crucial people believe that he'd be significantly better with the money.

Whether a man can successfully plop into the PMship, rather than violently force themselves into the coveted bowl, remains to be seen.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/nt/2008/

Labor will win, but the CLP is in a great position for the coming term. ALP looks like it will be returned with just a 1 seat majority.

Current count

2PP: CLP 50.7 ALP 49.3 (9.2% swing to CLP)
Seats: Labor 13, CLP 11, Ind 1

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rafy said:
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/nt/2008/

Labor will win, but the CLP is in a great position for the coming term. ALP looks like it will be returned with just a 1 seat majority.

Current count

2PP: CLP 50.7 ALP 49.3 (9.2% swing to CLP)
Seats: Labor 13, CLP 11, Ind 1
Great results, though we haven't broken the great wall of Labor yet..but that time will come soon.

IN N.S.W :shy:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

chicky_pie said:
Great results, though we haven't broken the great wall of Labor yet..but that time will come soon.

IN N.S.W :shy:
Very soon I hope.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

More results in. Antony Green and Kerry O'Brien are no longer calling a ALP win definate. A hung parliament is still a real possibility.

The CLP is just 40 votes behind in Fannie Bay. If the CLP make this up in prepoll and postals, it'll be 12-12, with the 1 independent deciding the government.

Considering the result at the last election where the CLP was annihilated, this result should be a shock to the ALP.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

This is just amazing. Nobody saw this coming. Everybody just assumed an easy ALP victory. The polls. The commentators. The party consultants. The politicans. The betting markets. All caught off guard.

Pre-election Sportingbet had ALP on $1.05 and CLP on $10.

Hung Parliament still possible.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Election result will not be known tonight.

Absentee votes will not begin to be counted untill Monday, so not result untill next week.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)