Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
I gather (as most people have) that Gillard is well and truly headed for the chop now, the question being where do they go from here. Unsurprisingly the factions are still loathed to see Rudd return so they're jostling for the numbers between Crean and Smith almost along identical factional lines to those which the 2003 ballot between Latham and Beazley was fought but Rudd is gathering a lot of momentum on the backbenches and if they don't sort something out quick Rudd might raise the numbers to challenge without factional backers(except Albo ofcourse). The reported 9 votes short in the paper isn't accurate but it's also not that misleading. If Crean gets the leadership it will probably mean Smith moves into Swan's job and Swan will be shafted from cabinet, if Smith gets it there'll probably be less upheaval. He and Swan are close caucus allies. Imo the ideal team for re-election would be something like
Leader: Rudd
Deputy/treasurer: Smith
Minister for Foreign Affairs: Evans
Finance Minister: Emerson
Climate change: Albanese
Immigration: Plibersek
(those are the portfolios what which the next election will be fought on more or less)
And I'd move that shouting dolt Bowen into Justice and Home affairs just to keep him out of trouble.

Politic

HSC
N/A
I think the electorate will be less cynical if Rudd challenges Gillard. That way there's really no "faceless men" argument against Labor, just bitter leadership relations. Either way their only hope is to pull back votes with a popular leader, and Rudd has a much better track record than Gillard on that front.

Lentern

HSC
I think the electorate will be less cynical if Rudd challenges Gillard. That way there's really no "faceless men" argument against Labor, just bitter leadership relations. Either way their only hope is to pull back votes with a popular leader, and Rudd has a much better track record than Gillard on that front.
Politically Rudd is far and away the most popular choice but I can appreciate why they can't stand him. People like Arbib and Shorten are actually humans too, bright, talented individuals who forewent six figure salaries to work in politics presumably in hope of making the world a better place. Rudd repays them by calling them a cancer on democracy.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Politically Rudd is far and away the most popular choice but I can appreciate why they can't stand him. People like Arbib and Shorten are actually humans too, bright, talented individuals who forewent six figure salaries to work in politics presumably in hope of making the world a better place. Rudd repays them by calling them a cancer on democracy.
but they are a cancer on democracy

let korben lodd return and toby arnott (pbuh) will destroy him in the kayak race to be king

Lentern

HSC
"Their heads are so firmly stuck in the sand they cannot see the wood for the trees!" Oh Swanny.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Bill Shorten eh

Seems like a vicious, vicious man, but there's something about him that makes me think he'd be a good political party leader

Lentern

HSC
Bill Shorten eh

Seems like a vicious, vicious man, but there's something about him that makes me think he'd be a good political party leader
I was a Shorten fan under Rudd, thought in six or seven years when Rudd had run his course somewhat that Shorten was the ideal man to succeed him. But he fucked it all up when he rolled Rudd, people will never trust him, they always suspect he's up to something.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
What is the purpose of this 'labor party'

Who do they represent

why do they exist

no one knows

James Bluntus

HSC
What is the purpose of this 'labor party'

Who do they represent

why do they exist

no one knows
That is the problem with the Labor Party today.

We don't know where we stand and which direction we are following. We need to get back to our old policy roots. Social Democratic and tradition Labor values. Fighting for the average Joe. We need to get back to the Labor that introduced Centre Link, Medicare among other things.

James Bluntus

HSC
but they are a cancer on democracy

let korben lodd return and toby arnott (pbuh) will destroy him in the kayak race to be king
^^

This. I'll be the first to admit I'm a Rudd supporter. All Arbib and Shorten care about is political power. If they aren't in power... they have nothing.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

We don't know where we stand and which direction we are following. We need to get back to our old policy roots. Social Democratic and tradition Labor values. Fighting for the average Joe. We need to get back to the Labor that introduced Centre Link, Medicare among other things.
Fighting for the average Joe eh

By enacting minimum wage laws that fuck over a whole bunch of racial minorities and providing them with welfare that doesn't end or encourage them to actually leave that system which is an incredulous burden on actual productive members of society
^^

This. I'll be the first to admit I'm a Rudd supporter. All Arbib and Shorten care about is political power. If they aren't in power... they have nothing.
okay so "korben lodd" and "toby arnott" and "kayak race to be king" didn't make you think at all at any stage that that post wasn't even remotely based in reality

Lentern

HSC
^^

Again your ideas are half baked, you say you want Labor to get back to its roots and traditions yet you support the guy who wanted to modernise the Labor Party, whose whole platform was counterposing himself against the old union based ideology and framing the Labor party as an urbane, progressive, social democracy party. Rudd, Emerson, Plibersek etc represent those in the party who want to break from the past, not those who look to it for answers.

HSC
Uni Grad
Probably doesn't need a thrad yet but
JULIA Gillard is set for a reversal on gay marriage, with government sources claiming she would announce within weeks a conscience vote on the issue. Government sources said the Prime Minister would state her position ahead of the Labor Party's national conference in December.

It could come as early as Monday or after the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth finishes at the end of next week, The Daily Telegraph reported.
http://www.news.com.au/national/jul...-on-gay-marriage/story-e6frfkvr-1226172375816

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh I was looking for it but I only saw the "why gays/lesbos cant have kids" one :s

cheese_cheese

HSC
Bill Shorten eh

No, you're wrong.

I would agree with this. Tertiary education needs to be free for all.

I am in two minds about this. On one hand it is a great social freedom. On the other hand it goes against my Catholic roots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)