• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Except for in Cabramatta and Lakemba eh? You'd think that since the ALP is doing such a revolting job that the Liberals would be able to put together a better package. But no, they're mediocre as always. Nothing will change after the next State election. Nothing at all.

Viva la Revolucion!

ASNSWR127

HSC

The greens will keep making more and more headway unless the major parties sit up and take note of what is happening...

Good luck to them I say! We need a 3rd voice to the stifling, boring political arena in this country!

K Rudd, M Turnbull take note or you may find the 2011 election is not as much of a surety as it once was... particularly in the senate!

Nobody cares abut state politics anymore do they? I mean we all know it should just be federally run with larger councils given all of the powers (and funding) to take care of the administrative stuff (roads, hospitals and education etc go to federal control) it is simply a mater of time before this happens.

maybe when we become a republic the constitution will be altered to reflect this more practical approach?

Not that I particularly want a republic (think of all the money that would be required to make the transition! This country could use it for far more important things like the above mentioned priorities!).

ASNSWR127

HSC

JaredR said:
Victor-y! Victor-y! Victor-y!
Mcain-Palin, you are a real tosser

Even most Libs are not into the ultra-conservative mindset of the republican party in the US.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Except for in Cabramatta and Lakemba eh? You'd think that since the ALP is doing such a revolting job that the Liberals would be able to put together a better package. But no, they're mediocre as always. Nothing will change after the next State election. Nothing at all.

Viva la Revolucion!
Massive swings in the two safest seats in the state are nothing to be scoffed at.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A

Labor is going to be trounced come the next election. Absolutely trounced.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

WAF said:
Massive swings in the two safest seats in the state are nothing to be scoffed at.
I scoff at them.

EDIT: I suppose you were scoffing when Liberals suffered swings against them in the Federal election. :rofl:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Captain Hero said:
Labor is going to be trounced come the next election. Absolutely trounced.
No way to tell. Way too early. (Edit: unless you mean the NSW state election.)

ALP has 3 years left of 4. Rudd's approval rating is currently the highest ever (and 2nd highest in history) at 71%.

Meanwhile America is shifting back towards the centre in a fundamental way the likes of which only happens every 30 or 40 years (which is rather politically relevant to Australia) and it is not at all evident that ALP's election in 2007 was due to a shift back to the centre or a backlash against Liberals. Most likely both, but only the latter could be even slightly good news for Libs.

And in the meantime you have the Greens continually increasing in power. Greens now won 15% of the vote in the ACT and have about 20% of seats. Meaning for the first time in history, the Greens get to decide who forms government.

Meanwhile, yes, Liberals are regrouping, cutting their losses, etc, so it'd be foolish to write them off, but...

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

What a ramble.
NSW Labor is finished.
State governments in general are finished
Only total faith in Ruddama will save us from corrupt, tired, inefficient, rambling over-government

spiny norman

HSC

Trefoil said:
ALP has 3 years left of 4.
Federal elections in Australia occur every three years, not every four. Why do so many people find it difficult to wrap their heads around this fact?!

Also, given all the discussion in the thread preceding CH's post were about state politics, I'm going to hazard a guess that's what he was referring to.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I think NSW gets 4

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Only total faith in Tatie Kully will save the lives of you and your family
I am KT
Obey me

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

"He flips and flops around like a barramundi on a boat ramp up in the Northern Territory,"

A punishing label!
Will Turnbull defeat the barramundi tag in time to win the election?
Only TIME will tell

This mug predicts that it will retain the slippery lack of stick the fish is famous for
This has been an Iron public conversation ty for tuning in and buy Camello Suds. Nothing says 'HELLO IM CLEAN' like Camello

Camello cameello
Hello camello
Yeah!

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I'll wrassle you for it

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

spiny norman said:
Federal elections in Australia occur every three years, not every four. Why do so many people find it difficult to wrap their heads around this fact?!
Probably because you're dead wrong.

NSW holds elections for both the Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council every four years (last one being in 2007).

(Although the Legislative Council members serve 8 year terms.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)