Australian Politics (6 Viewers)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

I dont like him, even if he is improving. Small and twitchy. Not the picture of confidence that Keating or Costello were. It's a joke that Gillard doesnt have it.

Lentern

HSC

Iron said:
I dont like him, even if he is improving. Small and twitchy. Not the picture of confidence that Keating or Costello were. It's a joke that Gillard doesnt have it.
If ever there was an overated orator it is her. She's just loud, that's all there is too it, she is paraded around like the best labor have had since Keating, Rudd may not have the domineering style but he is a much better orator, Tanner is leagues better, Smith has nowhere as much to say but he is still so much more effective, Crean, not a formidable orator but he's competent and doesn't hop up and down as if to say "someone look at me, I'm important." How Gillard got her reputation I'll never know, even Tuckey got the better of her in debates a few times. Costello absolutely savaged her in the deputies radio debate.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

australian politics is a joke. :)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
malcolm turnbull on gay marriage.

New opposition leader Malcolm Turnbull had to concede in a radio interview this morning that a newsreader who held a high profile ‘illegal gay wedding’ with his partner of 16 years in 2005 wasn’t entitled to the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples.

The interview on 2DayFM’s Kyle and Jackie O show this morning covered a wide range of topics, from David Beckham’s penis to Facebook and gay marriage.

Every time newsreader Geoff Field has a high-ranking pollie on the show, from Kevin Rudd to Turnbull, he grills them on gay marriage. “I promise you, every single politician who comes on will get it from me,” Geoff told Same Same today. Having ‘married’ his partner Jason in 2005 in an ‘illegal gay wedding’, he’s well within reason to demand why his partnership is not being recognised.

“Why you are against gay marriage yet you are a great supporter of gay rights?” asked Geoff. “Why are Jason and I still second class citizens and any other gay or lesbian in this city because we can’t get married?”

“I believe marriage is a permanent union between a man and a woman and I know that’s the wrong answer for Geoff but that doesn’t mean your relationship is second class, it just isn’t marriage,” said Turnbull.

“You will change your mind eventually,” replied Geoff. “Well we’ll see,” said Turnbull. “I have to tell you though, I think that marriage is a special institution, I think it’s fundamental and I think it’s a permanent union between a man and a woman. I know you don’t like to hear that Geoff but the reality is your relationship is one that should not be discriminated against in any legal way but I do believe marriage has a special status in our society and our culture and it is between a man and a woman.”

It sounds like he’s reading from the same hymn book as Kevin Rudd, virtually repeating word for word the same argument that “it is because I say it is.”

From there, the topics went a little downhill, with Kyle Sandilands mishearing a question from Turnbull as though he was asking if David Beckham was circumcised (he’s not, according to Sandliands) and Turnbull admitting that “there are lots of good looking guys. I haven’t fancied them. There’s a difference between being good looking and fanciable.”

And there’s a difference between saying you support gay rights and actually supporting them, Malcolm.

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/3061/Turnbull_Gay_Relationships_Just_Arent_Marriage
i actually have to agree with malcolm on this tbh.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Sounds like the empty rhetoric that politicians have been using is starting to be seen for what it is: hollow clap trap.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

ACT Poll. Indicates a 10% swing against Labor.

Stanhope will need Greens to hold power

Chief Minister Jon Stanhope's Labor Party is set to lose up to three ACT Legislative Assembly seats and Mr Stanhope will have to rely on the Greens' support to keep his job, according to an exclusive poll.
The Patterson-Canberra Times poll, conducted this week, points to the end of majority government on October 18 and finds the ACT Greens will be the big winner on election day, increasing their representation fourfold and getting to decide who takes power.

Today's poll also gives Labor and the Liberals six MLAs each, although there is one seat still up for grabs in the central electorate of Molonglo. Despite a swing of about 10percentage points against it in every electorate since the 2004 election, this key position is most likely to fall to Labor, but the result will hinge on how independents' preferences flow.[...]

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

How scary. It's not a bad government, all things considered. Little too left, but far more capable than the mess of the opposition.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Ryde Poll. 24% swing to the Liberals.

Voters set to hand Rees a thrashing

In a stunning result for the Liberals and their candidate, Victor Dominello, The Sun-Herald/Taverner poll of 500 voters in the state seat of Ryde tips a swing of more than 20 per cent against Labor.

Translated statewide, such a result would decimate Labor at the March 2011 election. A swing of even half that size would mean a loss of 20 seats, while the Coalition - which needs to win 12 seats to govern in its own right - would romp to victory.

Pollster Philip Mitchell-Taverner said the shift in sentiment away from Labor and towards the Liberals was "extraordinary".

"The poll shows that an enormous 41 per cent of those who say they preferred Labor in March 2007 now prefer Liberal," he said.

"I suspect such rejection of a political party is virtually unheard of in a democratic community.

"The shift in preference from Labor to Liberal is dramatic and suggests that Labor has absolutely no chance of remaining in power at the next election without some extraordinary event occurring."

Ryde is one of four state seats facing a byelection on Saturday - dubbed Super Saturday.

Labor expects to be scarred but still standing in Lakemba and Cabramatta, while Nationals candidate Leslie Williams and independent Peter Besseling are slugging it out in Port Macquarie.

Ryde - vacated by former deputy premier John Watkins last month - was won by Labor with almost 45 per cent of the primary vote at the March 2007 general election. After preferences, the Labor-Liberal split was 60:40.

Those numbers seem set to be turned upside down on Saturday. The poll predicted a final result of 64 per cent (after preferences) to the Liberals, with Labor on 36 per cent.

It predicts Labor's primary vote will plummet to just 24 per cent. That's even lower than internal ALP polling of a month ago, which put Labor's primary vote at 29 per cent and gave the Liberals 43 per cent.

In the first public review of his premiership, Ryde voters polled for the survey were also asked their view of the Premier.

Ominously for Labor, Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell outpolls Mr Rees 44 to 32 per cent on who would make the better premier, with 24 per cent undecided.
[...]

44Ronin

HSC

The party system itself is a failure.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

ur mums a failure. im voting labor.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

hey did anyone watch today tonight, today. interview with malcolm turnbull.

turnbull suggesting the best way to help the economy is by giving extra money (an extra $30 p.w. i think it was) to pensioners. do you guys reckon that this will actually help the economy.

ASNSWR127

HSC

melanieeeee. said:

turnbull suggesting the best way to help the economy is by giving extra money (an extra $30 p.w. i think it was) to pensioners. do you guys reckon that this will actually help the economy.
Not at all.

Rather than cash grants the Liberals should have realise a long time ago that investing in public infrastructure is the best way to go...

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

melanieeeee. said:

It was also a research done by University pplz who said that also, so yes, inject old people with money. :)

badquinton304

HSC

melanieeeee. said:

LOL politicians talking to today tonight.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

In other good news, well not politically.

Australia tops prosperity index

AUSTRALIA has topped the rankings in a prosperity index of more than 100 countries, with its quality of life and economic strength pushing it into number one spot. The Legatum Institute's Prosperity Index of 104 nations measures the material health of a country, including wealth, quality of life and life satisfaction.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24498882-29277,00.html
eat that world :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)