• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (3 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
katie tully said:
and omg sheep is the plural of sheep and i bet you dont pull people up when they say sheeps?!*)$?

you know what we're getting at dickhead. obscure semantics isn't the same as blatantly refusing to acknowledge that the spelling of one of Australia's major political parties has been the same for 90odd years
Who says sheeps? I would pull them up for something as bad as that. But agenda, a popular word in the english language has been in heavy use far longer than the Australian Labor Party so it's hardly more obscure. But by all means carry on all smug like I'm sure you feel very clever just a word of advice you don't look it, You look very spivvy.

Lentern

HSC
katie tully said:
Spivvy! Oh my, he's pulling out the big guns.
I knew that one would set a cat amongst the pigeons. Quickly triangulate!

Lentern

HSC
katie tully said:
OR we can just refer to it as the Labor Party henceforth?
I allways do, I just find the oh so smug corrections a little unimpressive.

spiny norman

HSC
Lentern said:
But agenda, a popular word in the english language has been in heavy use far longer than the Australian Labor Party so it's hardly more obscure.
Hardly the same thing, and you'd be a fool if you honestly think so. The name of Australia's oldest political party should be spelt correctly. People get to see the word up in advertisement everywhere at least every three years (without even taking into account two other levels of government). And if they feel strongly enough to join discussions on these issues they should understand how to spell something so simple.

I don't think it too much to ask that people discussing politics know how to spell the name of the party currently in government. People who spell Obama's first name 'Barrack' or whatever also earn my ire to some extent, but at least there they haven't had 96 years to become accustomed to the correct spelling.

If this were a sub-forum for "Semantics in Policy-Setting Language", I'd correct anyone on agenda/agendum in a heartbeat. But this is no such forum, so I'll only correct what's relevant to this.

Lentern

HSC
spiny norman said:
Hardly the same thing, and you'd be a fool if you honestly think so. The name of Australia's oldest political party should be spelt correctly. People get to see the word up in advertisement everywhere at least every three years (without even taking into account two other levels of government). And if they feel strongly enough to join discussions on these issues they should understand how to spell something so simple.

I don't think it too much to ask that people discussing politics know how to spell the name of the party currently in government. People who spell Obama's first name 'Barrack' or whatever also earn my ire to some extent, but at least there they haven't had 96 years to become accustomed to the correct spelling.

If this were a sub-forum for "Semantics in Policy-Setting Language", I'd correct anyone on agenda/agendum in a heartbeat. But this is no such forum, so I'll only correct what's relevant to this.
Well I won't recite all that I've said to Katie I'll just reiterate the key point that it comes across as spivvy, smug and a little sir Humphrey Appleby.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
spiny norman said:

Off your high-horse now. This has absolutely nothing to do with 'news and current affairs'.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It has everything to do with it and you know it

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Oh my, yes yes, you're right.

"THIS JUST IN: Anal-retentive university student has a spack about how to spell a word."

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
In an exclusive interview, the Opposition Leader complained Mr Rudd ignored him socially and refused to respond to his letters.

"I don't have any relationship with him at all," he declared.

"For someone who trained as a diplomat he is often very undiplomatic. He is very chilly towards me. He is odd."

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, that didn't take long

ALP plotters stir the pot already over Rees'

NSW Labor Party bosses have been secretly canvassing backbenchers to gauge waning support for Nathan Rees in the party room, just two months after he was installed as Premier.

At the same time they have been soliciting support for former unions boss John Robertson to pave a smooth path in the caucus for his elevation to the ministry within weeks.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that Labor Party president Bernie Riordan has called at least six right-wing Labor MPs in the past week asking if they still supported the left-wing leader.

"He asked how we thought Nathan was going," one MP said.

Mr Riordan is an ally of Mr Robertson and saw himself as a major player in the downfall of Morris Iemma and the defeat of electricity privatisation.

But Mr Riordan's furtive straw poll came as some Sydney MPs showed signs of dissent with the new administration, claiming they were being abused in their electorates for the planned budget cuts to metro rail, back-to-school allowances and bus passes.

Some MPs have revealed they were also asked what their opinion was of newly elected MP Mr Robertson, a regular companion of right-wing factional boss Joe Tripodi,

One MP described it as an exercise in courting the "Terrigals" - the once dominant sub-faction of the right.

boris

Banned
HSC
What would need to happen to remove labour from nsw government right now?

badquinton304

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Kevin Rudd is not good at speeches, compared to Turnbull, he's excellent. :)
I would not say Kevin Rudd was not a good speaker. I would agree that Turnbull is the better speaker out of the two, but they are both very good speakers. They both leave Howard sounding like a cave man in terms of speaking. However the only speaker that ever left me in awe in Australian politics would be Paul Keating, with the redfern address and the true believers speech.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Wasnt a closet bully
Closet Catholic though

Wouldnt be surprised if he was gay, but meh. He still had a family and probably never acted on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)