Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

atreus

HSC
about the howard years, i think downer came out looking worse than anyone else. i didnt think it was possible, but the series made him look like even more of a tosser.

impervious182

HSC
atreus said:
about the howard years, i think downer came out looking worse than anyone else. i didnt think it was possible, but the series made him look like even more of a tosser.
I like Alexander Downer. I think he was a remarkably talented Minister for Foreign Affairs... as much can't be said for Stephen Smith.

In my opinion the documentary presented him in good light and as an effective and diplomatic minister. Particularly his dealings with the Norwegien Foreign Affairs minister cemented this for me. Norwegia were trying to bully him and threaten him and he held his ground well...

How rude that the minister would knowingly call him at 2am in the morning.

spiny norman

HSC
alexdore993 said:
I like Alexander Downer. I think he was a remarkably talented Minister for Foreign Affairs...
I love you, don't ever change.

Particularly his dealings with the Norwegien Foreign Affairs minister cemented this for me. Norwegia were trying to bully him and threaten him and he held his ground well...
Fucking Norwegia.

Lentern

HSC
I like Alexander Downer. I think he was a remarkably talented Minister for Foreign Affairs... as much can't be said for Stephen Smith.
These two responses demonstrate that Downer is a prime example of what Peter Brent described as "A Latham politician". Basically someone who really knows how to get up the nose of the kind of voters that would never vote for the opposite party anyway. He antagonises republicans, western sydney blue collar workers and greenies in a way that deeply pleases the parties core supporters. Tony Abbott and Peter Reith were the same. For Labor Keating, Gillard and ofcourse Latham are the most serious offenders.

These type are best shoved in a harmless portfolio, Health for Abbott when there were all state labor goverments was spot on, IR is perfect for Gillard, but foreign affairs, treasury, defence, and party leader, not so smart.

Alex really gives up any hope of being taken as an astute advisor in bagging out Smith. He can hate labor ideology but there is no question of Smith's ability as one of Rudd's most capable ministers. Gillard, Swan, Roxon and Carr are headaches for sure and you can criticise them until the cows come home, Garrett you might call radical and Conroy is a grub but when you start trying to play Smith, Tanner or Evans, all you're really saying is "I hate labor"

ubernuton

HSC
politics

these days i am just diapionted with all politics i used to be very active and belived in a cause now i just feel tha politics is a waste and humanity is doomed

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Re: politics

ubernuton where u been bro

atreus

HSC
all those "he was seriously pleased with me"-type comments downer made throughout the series made him sound like a child.

as for smith, i thought that he had had a good year, and was seen by most as one of the government's strongest performers.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
atreus said:
all those "he was seriously pleased with me"-type comments downer made throughout the series made him sound like a child.

as for smith, i thought that he had had a good year, and was seen by most as one of the government's strongest performers.
lol sounds like you saw the Clarke and Dore take on the 7.30 Report

Lentern

HSC
walrusbear said:
low-altitude flyer
Well done you can quote Keating. Don't you just love these labor tough guys who think they're oh so clever because they can recall some of the supercool things Keating used to say. "All tip and no iceberg" oh damn I'm gangsta. "desiccated coconut" Oh shit if I keep this up I'm going to get a bit excited. "When they circumcised him they got rid of the wrong bit" hehehe.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Keating was more awesome in Howard's dying days. Rudd was urged to denounce him -slay the dragon!- but this advice was wisely ignored.
But what a beautiful, masculine mind.

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Keating was more awesome in Howard's dying days. Rudd was urged to denounce him -slay the dragon!- but this advice was wisely ignored.
But what a beautiful, masculine mind.
Look I like Keating' one liners, the speech he gave at Combet's election launch was hilarious, I just find it unimpressive when people throw his quotes around to be cool or clever or what not. And decided to register that I was unimpressed.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But he's very quotable? The essence of cleverness in Australia

walrusbear

HSC
Lentern said:
Well done you can quote Keating. Don't you just love these labor tough guys who think they're oh so clever because they can recall some of the supercool things Keating used to say. "All tip and no iceberg" oh damn I'm gangsta. "desiccated coconut" Oh shit if I keep this up I'm going to get a bit excited. "When they circumcised him they got rid of the wrong bit" hehehe.
he appears to have been right though

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Oh my god. Kerry demolished Turnbull on the 7:30 Report last night. That was painful to watch.

HSC
Iron said:
Oh my god. Kerry demolished Turnbull on the 7:30 Report last night. That was painful to watch.
Yeah he needs to work on his acting a little. It's very obvious when he's been blondisded by a journo.

He's getting bullied

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
NSW Newspoll 59-41 to the Coalition

Premier Nathan Rees's glimmer of hope vanishes

Labor primary down to 26%

"The Premier's dissatisfaction rating has spiked by 21 points, to 47 per cent, while the proportion of voters satisfied with his performance has shrunk by five points to 34 per cent. "

As I predicted, Barry O'Farrell has retaken the lead as Preferred Premier.

Full table here: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/files/newspoll16dec.jpg

White-knuckled ride to crash landing with Nathan Rees in cockpit

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Rafy said:
NSW Newspoll 59-41 to the Coalition

Premier Nathan Rees's glimmer of hope vanishes

Labor primary down to 26%

"The Premier's dissatisfaction rating has spiked by 21 points, to 47 per cent, while the proportion of voters satisfied with his performance has shrunk by five points to 34 per cent. "

As I predicted, Barry O'Farrell has retaken the lead as Preferred Premier.

Full table here: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/files/newspoll16dec.jpg

White-knuckled ride to crash landing with Nathan Rees in cockpit

Watch as donations to the Liberal Party pour in just before the election. We'll win in 2011. But Labor spin doctors, they'll overspend themselves with advertisements trying to clinch the power they have left lol. The sad reality is, that we have to deal with 41% idiots who will still vote for state Labor Party. Even after they've announced a $15 train ticket hike, people still would vote for Labor? LOL

$15 ticket hike 'a win for commuters' | National News | News.com.au

:speechless:

Lentern

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Watch as donations to the Liberal Party pour in just before the election. We'll win in 2011. But Labor spin doctors, they'll overspend themselves with advertisements trying to clinch the power they have left lol. The sad reality is, that we have to deal with 41% idiots who will still vote for state Labor Party. Even after they've announced a $15 train ticket hike, people still would vote for Labor? LOL

$15 ticket hike 'a win for commuters' | National News | News.com.au

:speechless:
You see the temptation for me is that oppositions with it in the bag tend not to rock the boat, so having spent a whole campaign converting policy into platituds they change very little once in government, hence I can't imagine O'farrell doing anything exciting for NSW anyway. So it would be fun to be part of the team that won the unwinnable. Plus what is O'farrell actually going to do to improve NSW anyway? It is a state with neglected infrastructure and a debt, a coalition government might curtail the debt but aren't going to do anything for infrastructure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)