Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Gerald10

HSC
I remember the 'me tooism' of the Labor government throughout the election campaign.

Twas pretty obvious.
Rudd seperated himself on three key issues - work choices, Iraq and climate change - everything else he agreed with. It was a brilliant display of political skill.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Rudd seperated himself on three key issues - work choices, Iraq and climate change - everything else he agreed with. It was a brilliant display of political skill.
What was brilliant about it?

So he didn't allow the Coalition to attack him on certain issues, because he just adopted them anyway? Brilliant!!!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I would say that of those only Turnbull and Hockey could possibly do it. Two words will defeat Costello - 'Work Choices'. While Nelson just isn't PM material.
WorkChocies was technically one word.

Lentern

HSC
I would say that of those only Turnbull and Hockey could possibly do it. Two words will defeat Costello - 'Work Choices'. While Nelson just isn't PM material.
And why would anyone have called John Howard "prime minister material" in 1989? Not just because he seemed to be in the wilderness but he had really been made to look so desperate and hapless by Hawke, it was like he was a little kid hopping up and down begging to be let to play with the big kids whilst Hawke sniggered as the Australian people told him "not yet Johnny." What made Howard electable from opposition?

Nelson's timing is abhorent but his political abilities far surpass those of Howard 1989. As for workchoices and Costello, to accept that would be to accept economic policy has a signifcant bearing on election results. I can't do that. I like to point out that Hawke beat Howard, Hewson finished off Hawke, Keating beat Hewson but Howard was better than Keating...go figure.

Lentern

HSC
I remember the 'me tooism' of the Labor government throughout the election campaign.

Twas pretty obvious.
Me tooism is the way to run a campaign from opposition. John Howard that courageous politician who had conviction was described in 1996 by Paul kelly in the Australia like this
"During the 1980s there was an orthodoxy about Howard - that he was the reforming spearhead of the Coalition, but weak on politics. Yet the orthodoxy today is more likely to be the reverse that Howard is an adept politician with doubts about his ability to implement genuine change."
Shaun Carey from the age had this to say

the course that John Howard took. That was to convert most policies into platitudes and let the incumbent Government slowly starve itself of energy and oxygen. But that took 13 years
I've said ti before you can write the script for "The Rudd Years" allready. A couple of politicians in awe of his ability to stay strong when under siege, lauding his dogged determination to get that stimulus package past Xenophon etc and a few dissesntors, lamenting that they didn't cut taxes or greenhouse emmisions by more. It'll finish with everyone in the party wanting Gillard to lead the party but nobody having the guts to tap Kevin on the shoulder...or maybe it'll be like "labor in power" and Julia will knife Kevin.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Costello as shadow treasurer? Yay or nay?

Bishop has certainly underperformed. With the present focus on the economy the Coalition need a heavyweight to reclaim the mantle as superior economic manager. Who better than Costello who presided over 11 years of boom, built the surplus, paid off the debt etc.

A dream team. Turnbull-Costello 09

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Wait, wait, wait.

I'll be totally honest with you here. I had no idea Julie Bishop was opp. treasurer. Seriously. I've only heard from Turnbull and Xenaphon regarding this fiasco, I thought Julie Bishop was still in charge of Education, idk.

When Costello was in opposition, at least he was vocal and created opposing packages and stuff.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Bishop has certainly underperformed. With the present focus on the economy the Coalition need a heavyweight to reclaim the mantle as superior economic manager. Who better than Costello who presided over 11 years of boom, built the surplus, paid off the debt etc.

The operative word 'dream'.

Costello is unlikely to take up the position as the understudy yet again. As great as it would be, I suggest we start thinking realistically.

I recall him saying the other day words to the effect of 'I've done my time as shadow treasurer'..

Lentern

HSC

It'll never happen. It would be good for the coalition if Costello and Nelson returned to the frontbench and were given the treasury foreign office respectively, but one suspects neither will be part of a Turnbull frontbench. Costello may join the frontbench of the next liberal leader though. If he stills covets the prime ministry but it's clear Rudd won't lose the next election then siding with Turnbull's successor would be an excuse for Costello to stay on: "Originally I did not intend to stay on after my term was finished, however Mr Hockey has shown such leadership qualities as to compell me to approach Mr Hockey and tell him "mate anything I can do to help, just say it" and he asked me to be part of his frontbench."

A Costello leadership with a Turnbull treasury is also very unlikely, I think there's only really one job Turnbull is interested in and if it becomes clear he's not going to get it he'll scoot.

Gerald10

HSC
What was brilliant about it?

So he didn't allow the Coalition to attack him on certain issues, because he just adopted them anyway? Brilliant!!!
He's now Prime Minister having knocked off one of the most skilled politicians Australia has ever seen.

Gerald10

HSC
And why would anyone have called John Howard "prime minister material" in 1989? Not just because he seemed to be in the wilderness but he had really been made to look so desperate and hapless by Hawke, it was like he was a little kid hopping up and down begging to be let to play with the big kids whilst Hawke sniggered as the Australian people told him "not yet Johnny." What made Howard electable from opposition?
So by that logic what makes you sure that Pyne, Bishop and Abbot can't do it?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Im not sure what your trying to say. My point was that regardless of what you or anyone thinks of their policies, both Howard and Rudd, are very very talented politicians.
That may be true, but I don't think Rudd looks as convincing when giving his speeches. He looks a tad scared and uncomfortable. Not sure how Howard was like in his early days (other than the token eyebrows) and thick framed glasses.

This may be inexperience in his position, as he hasn't been PM for long. It may be that he's trying too hard. Not sure. I respect the man for his political mind, but he needs to work on how he connects with the public. There seems to be a difference between how he perceives he'll be received, and how the public really do perceive him.

He needs to relax.

Gerald10

HSC
That may be true, but I don't think Rudd looks as convincing when giving his speeches. He looks a tad scared and uncomfortable. Not sure how Howard was like in his early days (other than the token eyebrows) and thick framed glasses.

This may be inexperience in his position, as he hasn't been PM for long. It may be that he's trying too hard. Not sure. I respect the man for his political mind, but he needs to work on how he connects with the public. There seems to be a difference between how he perceives he'll be received, and how the public really do perceive him.

He needs to relax.
Entirely fair point. He is certainly a control freak and would probably be better off if he delegated more like Hawke did than trying to do everything himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)