• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
...so why go about posting your rambling on an online student forum then? Even as an analyst, you need to structure your shit properly so people can read it, but instead you seem to spew chunks at a time. Keep convincing yourself though. :)

I take it you were dropped on your head as a baby.
Pardon me I surely shouldn't have thought that a place filled with aspiring tertiary graduates labelled "Australian politics" might be the place to discuss matters related to Australian politics. I'll stick to the gimmicky cliche's that mask lack of intellectual capacity if you prefer "Conviction politician" "working families" "You were dropped on your head as a baby"

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Pardon me I surely shouldn't have thought that a place filled with aspiring tertiary graduates labelled "Australian politics" might be the place to discuss matters related to Australian politics. I'll stick to the gimmicky cliche's that mask lack of intellectual capacity if you prefer "Conviction politician" "working families" "You were dropped on your head as a baby"
More references to "working families" and "unprecedented times" would definitely be appreciated. :)

I'm a simple man.

Lentern

HSC
I personally don't know that much about Barnaby Joyce, but in terms of Bishop she hasn't been a great success and needs to go.
Tell me what do you personally know about Julie Bishop? I'll run off the funamentals to save you the time, she's a woman, she's from WA, she was the education minister she was shadow treasurer, her office plagiarised something, she used her authority as deputy leader to switch to foreign affairs, she gives alot of interviews to the press and she did a jig on Good News Week.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Tell me what do you personally know about Julie Bishop? I'll run off the funamentals to save you the time, she's a woman, she's from WA, she was the education minister she was shadow treasurer, her office plagiarised something, she used her authority as deputy leader to switch to foreign affairs, she gives alot of interviews to the press and she did a jig on Good News Week.
This changes everything.

You forgot her performance during Question Time where she hand gestured like a tiger to the lovely Julia.

Lentern

HSC
This changes everything.

You forgot her performance during Question Time where she hand gestured like a tiger to the lovely Julia.
Jesus if that's what it takes to not be great success as you put it that Kevin must be up the creek. Doing the little dance on Kerry Anne, making that bring it on hand gesture at Chris Pyne, stealing all but 7% of Costello's budget to say nothing of the ear wax, the strip club, the tantrums and of course he doesn't even know the tax thresholds. However did this man get the idea he could make it in politics?

spiny norman

HSC
I take it you were dropped on your head as a baby.
For the record, I was dropped on my head as a two week old.

Lentern, I think you're okay, you clearly know shit. However, too often you display the same personality as your idols like Stephen Smith (ie. none) and therefore make your posts a little boring, especially when they last five paragraphs as often as they do. Get them a little more succinct, and throw in a dick joke or two, and it'll liven things up a bit.

99% of this section is either retarded, economic rationalists, boring or some combination of the three. Given the others are probably lost cases, you're my last hope, Lentern.

On-topic: everyone's saying this budget's going to be one from hell; the worst in a long long time. With the leaks so far - cutting the private health insurance rebate, closing the tax loophole on those who earn money off-shore, paid parental leave - am I the only one who thinks it seems all pretty promising?

Lentern

HSC
No, I don't believe you did. Go on.
Oh the shame, tripping up at the summit of condescension. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to run; shame is mine forever. I am reminded of when Chris Bowen was making fun of Julie Bishop for suggesting China was deregulating their market before saying "China is not floating the yen".

blue_chameleon

HSC
On-topic: everyone's saying this budget's going to be one from hell; the worst in a long long time. With the leaks so far - cutting the private health insurance rebate, closing the tax loophole on those who earn money off-shore, paid parental leave - am I the only one who thinks it seems all pretty promising?
Yes, Wayne Swan is saying this loud and clear, when he says "Every Australian will have to contribute". However, the politics are as clear as day here. Release all the junk before budget night and include exaggerated figures/dire forecasts, and what's left that we don't know about? All the good stuff!!!!!

Wait, please don't tell me you're of the opinion that cutting the private health insurance rebate is a going to be beneficial? Because I love the incentive for people sticking with private health insurance [and thus less burden on the joke of a public system] being taken away.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Oh the shame, tripping up at the summit of condescension. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to run; shame is mine forever. I am reminded of when Chris Bowen was making fun of Julie Bishop for suggesting China was deregulating their market before saying "China is not floating the yen".
Don't let it get you down. It's not like correct English would have saved your post anyway.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Yes, Wayne Swan is saying this loud and clear, when he says "Every Australian will have to contribute". However, the politics are as clear as day here. Release all the junk before budget night and include exaggerated figures/dire forecasts, and what's left that we don't know about? All the good stuff!!!!!

Wait, please don't tell me you're of the opinion that cutting the private health insurance rebate is a going to be beneficial? Because I love the incentive for people sticking with private health insurance [and thus less burden on the joke of a public system] being taken away.:rolleyes:
And the bogan electorate will fall for it. If Swan says now that the deficit will be $70 billion, but it is only $60 billion, the bogans will think that isn't too bad. This fails to take into account that for the past decade of the Howard years we have had sustained surpluses. Labor economic credibility = 0. Unfortunately, Labor voters care factor about economic credibility = 0 also.

Deathwatch

HSC
My style of voting. See who's on the list and pick them in order of who i hate least!

Lentern

HSC
Don't let it get you down. It's not like correct English would have saved your post anyway.
Whats that I see? you failing to contribute anything once again merely just feeding your insatiable desire to hate those who aren't in lockstep with your own views? Katie Tully for all her faults of which there are many actually seems to believe something and comes here projecting those believes. What the heck do you come here for?

And the bogan electorate will fall for it. If Swan says now that the deficit will be $70 billion, but it is only $60 billion, the bogans will think that isn't too bad. This fails to take into account that for the past decade of the Howard years we have had sustained surpluses. Labor economic credibility = 0. Unfortunately, Labor voters care factor about economic credibility = 0 also.
Weakening a reasonable arguement with outrageous claims. Liberal party are better at economics? Quite possibly. Liberal party would have helped the Australian economy through this period by keeping the budget in surplus? Sorry no. Labor voters don't take economics into voting? Don't be silly.

badquinton304

HSC
Howard had no difficult economic circumstances. There is currently a world wide recession, your inability to read between the lines is quite evident as you fail to look at the big picture which includes the economic environment of a given time.
Also surpluses started under Keating as treasurer, so according to your logic you cannot say that Labor has no economic credibility. If someone who delivers a surplus has credibility and then suggests that going in the red on budget night would be suitable given the circumstances, thats not a lack of credibility that is rational and pragmatic policy, as your environment changes you must best prepare yourself to prosper in those changes.

Lentern

HSC
Lentern is invariably right though.

Libs are in a bit of a tricky spot. Do they give Turnbull until the election, lose it then elect Costello? Do they consider Turnbull deadwood and appoint someone from out of left field? Uncle Nick and the other powerbrokers need to consider their next move carefully.

If I was in the coalition, I would be looking at ways to get Barnaby Joyce into Deputy Leader of the Opposition. The public clearly love the guy - he comes across as forthright, stands up for himself (how many times has he crossed the floor?) and is media savvy. Bishop is too wooden.

It really has to be a long term strategy because the only way the Libs can win the next election is by Labor imploding.
Barnaby is not well liked in the liberal party. Like really not well liked. Costello has this big rent in his book about Barnaby getting rewarded for being an attention grabbing little shit while the loyal troopers in the nats have to take a backseat for him. Apparently he doesn't actually fight that many battles in the party room, but then they turn up in parliament and he's decided he's on the other side.

As for the libs I think it really depends on what Joe decides. Costello doesn't want the leadership yet, Bishop has spent her political capital and the good doctor has decided he's done. If Joe decides the job isn't worth having at the moment Turnbull will probably make it tothe next election. If Joe does wants it I'm sure Turnbull won't make it. Hockey is probably the oppositions strongest performer and having him working against the allready struggling Turnbull would be pretty bad.

Joe would then probably go on to lead the party but I make way for the small possibility it would be Abbott. When Abbot withdrew from the initial ballot it was probably because Nelson had won the support of all the conservatives Abbott needed. With Turnbull and Hockey splitting up the progressive votes between them Abbott would scoop up a couple of conservatives. Do we do run off ballots in Australia or would it just be whoever gets the most votes?

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Howard had no difficult economic circumstances. There is currently a world wide recession, your inability to read between the lines is quite evident as you fail to look at the big picture which includes the economic environment of a given time.
Also surpluses started under Keating as treasurer, so according to your logic you cannot say that Labor has no economic credibility. If someone who delivers a surplus has credibility and then suggests that going in the red on budget night would be suitable given the circumstances, thats not a lack of credibility that is rational and pragmatic policy, as your environment changes you must best prepare yourself to prosper in those changes.
How enlightening.

Indeed, there was no global recession during the reign of the previous government. But to say that there were 'no difficult economic circumstances' is ignorant at best. The two notable issues were of course the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis and the economic implications of the Terrorist Attacks in 2001. Each having an impact much less than a global recession, but an impact nonetheless.

It is far too early to speculate whether is is 'rational and pragmatic' policy. Of course the government says it is. We repeatedly hear the words 'measured', 'responsible' and 'rational'. Government has to use those words to justify any action it takes, and paint it in a politically attractive light. I also regularly hear comparisons to other affected but incongruous economies in an attempt to highlight our strength. Many of these other nations were in debt at the commencement of the crisis.

The strength of our position is due to the state of the economy prior to the crisis, not pragmatic or rational policy.

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
And who the fuck are you to judge?

Don't give me this bullshit that we had to spend big to fight our way out of a recession. We are borrowing money that will have to be payed back eventually - by the taxpayer. The past two stimulus packages have done fuck all compared to their massive cost.

Your point about Keating I might be willing to concede. He was a rare Labor PM who had half a brain - floating the dollar, privatising Qantas, mandatory detention for asylum seekers were all good moves for the country.

However, Rudd and Swan clearly have no idea about the economy. You can spin the party line about how this spending is necessary (and parts of it, such as the aged pension increase , I concede are), but at the end of the day, we are going to be minimum $100 billion in deficit by the end of Rudd's first term. I posit that the deficit would have been far less under a Liberal government.

The Robin Hood-esque taxation schemes don't wash with me either. Taxpayers obviously are being told by Labor that ambition should be frowned upon, because if you want a promotion and requisite payrise, be prepared to be gouged for it. This is why we need taxation reform ASAP.

blue_chameleon

HSC
One thing I notice whenever Rudd or Swan open their mouths is that talk is cheap.

Bring on the inter-generational debt, ey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)