Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes, yes I see! If I agree with one man about something then logically I must agree with all men about everything!
I've been a classic fool!
strips naked while running and screaming into the street

Lentern

HSC
Yes, yes I see! If I agree with one man about something then logically I must agree with all men about everything!
I've been a classic fool!
strips naked while running and screaming into the street
You accept the opinion of one bonehead journalist as facts, you might as well accept them all.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Shut up Lentern, you fumbling, grasping twat. Ellis is one of the most skilled and provocative writers this country has ever produced. He's like our Gore Vidal. He is anything but a 'bonehead' and hardly something as petty as a journalist.

Read one of his many books some time, like Goodbye Babylon or Goodbye Jerusalem or his assorted articles. I did around your age, when I was out of hs, and was v impressed

Edit: Or you could go on pompously quoting passages from documentaries like The Howard Years, littering it with awkward, PAINFUL, expression and various errors

Last edited:

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Meh close enough. Political narratives make for great reading and as a result Rudd like Howard before him will have history rewritten to imply his premiership was recieved very differently to the way those with keen memories will remember it.
I've supplied a few excerpts before which if you flick through this thread you'll probably find that show Howard was viewed as a weak little populist in his first term. Ducking for cover at the first whiff of unpopularity, real Jim Hacker kind of stuff. The Port Arthur Massacre prompted incredible demand for a government to make strong moves to increase gun control and as a result was overwhelmingly popular. It was not popular in national party homeland but those were seats that labor had buckleys chance of winning anyway. As for the waterfront dispute, Howard rode in to government on the back of empty but powerful rhetoric about the unions bullying their way about the place. It would have been braver for Howard to do nothing.

Finally the GST, which politician advised Costello to leave the acronym GST out of the tax reform package? Which politician was willing to cave to the demands of the Australian Democrats? Which politician asked Costello to lower it to 8 percent on the eve of it's introduction because he thought it would be more popular? It was the same one every time, also the same one who suggested to Costello that perhaps a two term strategy for balancing the budget was a more politically sensible idea then radical cuts that the treasurer deemed neccessary.

But when we watched the Howard years he was a conviction politician, the strong man, unafraid to wear the tough decisions, the buck stopped with John.

Oh and the speculation about my actual politics, I'm just waiting for Peter Costello and Stephen Smith to break from their own parties and form a party together.
As your age is 17, that would indicate that you were about 5 when the Howard Government was elected. You were about 11 when the GST was implemented.

You later go on to say

You accept the opinion of one bonehead journalist as facts, you might as well accept them all.
How did you in fact come to form you opinion of these years when you were barely able to write? Reading others writings perhaps?

It seems everything you write applies to everyone else other than yourself..

Lentern

HSC
Shut up Lentern, you fumbling, grasping twat. Ellis is one of the most skilled and provocative writers this country has ever produced. He's like our Gore Vidal. He is anything but a 'bonehead' and hardly something as petty as a journalist.

Read one of his many books some time, like Goodbye Babylon or Goodbye Jerusalem or his assorted articles. I did around your age, when I was out of hs, and was v impressed

Edit: Or you could go on pompously quoting passages from documentaries like The Howard Years, littering it with awkward, PAINFUL, expression and various errors
I bet he even backed Latham to win in a landlside.

Lentern

HSC
As your age is 17, that would indicate that you were about 5 when the Howard Government was elected. You were about 11 when the GST was implemented.

You later go on to say

How did you in fact come to form you opinion of these years when you were barely able to write? Reading others writings perhaps?

It seems everything you write applies to everyone else other than yourself..
Not every journalist is a bonehead my friend and therein lies the key. I suppose you could say that it is far too arrogant for someone of my modest years to pass judgement on the writings of the mighty, But how do I then know what the true story is? Did the terrorists sink the damn boat as Tom Switzer suggests or was it unseaworthy to begin with as David Marr insists. I guess I should forego the pursuit of intellect and concede I shall never know.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
THIS IS THE WORST BETRAYAL OF ALL!

Latham, JA, he was always a ticking time-bomb,
Beazley, JA, he was an incompetent lazy bones,
Keating, an unpredictable artist,

ALL THE OTHERS JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA!
But MARR
Der truest of der true

Lentern

HSC
David Marr got married and then came out. If he can't even get his own sexuality straight, what chance do his stories have?
Tom Switzer compared Sarah Palin to Harry Truman. There aren't many Gerrard Hendersons left these days.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Tom Switzer compared Sarah Palin to Harry Truman. There aren't many Gerrard Hendersons left these days.
Gerrard Henderson hides behind his thinktank lobbing grenades at no Liberal in particular. He often fails to acquire his target, however, so they explode upon him.

Re: David Marr, he came out while he was host of MediaWatch. I believe he had some tenuous link to JonesTown, the Chris Masters doco, and he pretty much implicated his homosexuality. Alan Jones did well to not be forced to come out.

Lentern

HSC
Gerrard Henderson hides behind his thinktank lobbing grenades at no Liberal in particular. He often fails to acquire his target, however, so they explode upon him.

Re: David Marr, he came out while he was host of MediaWatch. I believe he had some tenuous link to JonesTown, the Chris Masters doco, and he pretty much implicated his homosexuality. Alan Jones did well to not be forced to come out.
Henderson? He is one of the few that makes based on facts rather than report hearsay and write political narratives.
Disunity is death in Opposition | smh.com.au

Only liberal of a dozen who copped a serve was Dr John.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I'm sure those of the left, even the centre-left, think Henderson is the best thing since sliced bread. Sadly, that does not describe my political persuasion. One thing I will say about Henderson is that he doesn't even try and hide the fact that he is a dyed-in-the-wool Laborite, unlike Hartcher and co.

I guess Henderson in SMH = Akerman in DT, in terms of polarising readers.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I'm sure those of the left, even the centre-left, think Henderson is the best thing since sliced bread. Sadly, that does not describe my political persuasion. One thing I will say about Henderson is that he doesn't even try and hide the fact that he is a dyed-in-the-wool Laborite, unlike Hartcher and co.

I guess Henderson in SMH = Akerman in DT, in terms of polarising readers.
Piers is a fair and politically balanced journalist.

:D

Lex152

HSC
I'm disliking our current economic paradigm less and less (not the recession the whole damn thing...) anyone up for a revolution?

spiny norman

HSC
Are you fucking for real?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)