• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, the steel city is a good 20+ years off proper development and invigoration around it's CBD where it's much needed. That's even taking into consideration GPT's redevelopment. I'll be in Melbourne by December.

You'll be able to take orders for my firework supplies!

$20 if you jump the gallery and nudie run through QT.
I doubt that'd pay his bail.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Checked the schedule, parliament sits a lot less than I thought.

I might go every day till I find a job.

spiny norman

HSC
Shorten did impress me though, those watery, twinkling eyes, the sincere, compassionate rhetoric, the small dimples when he does his little chuckle, maybe they should make him treasurer.
Bill Shorten's probably the only House of Reps Labor big name I dislike more than Stephen Smith.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Are you drunk? Most members of the left think Hendo a neo fascist whose too clever by half. What constitutes a middle of the road journalist in your view? Alan Jones? Andrew Bolt? Miranda Devine?
I cannot recall a column by him that I have read that I would distinguish as anything but centre-left. However, I will admit I have not widely read his column for a couple of years, and it is entirely feasible that you are correct.

Re: your question, I genuinely believe that there is no such thing as a middle of the road journalist. A political journalist has to be of a persuasion - given the nature of their job, this is understandable. Of the three you mentioned, probably Jones is closest to the mark.

Completely agree about Bill Shorten. Another token appointment to appease the unions.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Checked the schedule, parliament sits a lot less than I thought.

I might go every day till I find a job.
Rudd really is a toxic bore. There's a few surprisingly funny comments that he has informally with the Opp, and there's a certain buzz about seeing the PM, but usually he'll just read something in a monotone to skillfully diffuse all passion in the place. Other times he is heroically indignant, usually about the economy, but it's still not v grand. He barely engages the other side.

That, and about half of it is sitting through painful and repetitive dorothy dixers.

Lentern

HSC
Srsly, for a very long time, in my head, I always thought that the journo on tonight was Marr.
Recognition ability function fail

Also, on theme w the show, you seem to be more about gossip columns than srs politics, Lentern
When it comes to serious politics there is generally not a whole lot of difference between Christopher Pyne and Dimples so I must confess I don't find it interesting when they are in agreement and spend five minutes attempting to appear the more hardlined or more compassionate of the two.

Lentern

HSC
Bill Shorten's probably the only House of Reps Labor big name I dislike more than Stephen Smith.
You seem to have a problem with skilled politicians. Which isn't a jibe against you it's personally reasonable they are able to decieve the most innocent and manipulate the most vulneralbe for their own political ascension.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Opposition treasury spokesman Joe Hockey told the network the news was "jarring".

"I'm surprised that the large shareholders in Pacific Brands haven't got something to say about not only the damage to the brand (but) some serious questions about why they had to lay off 1850 workers and still pay executives very significant sums," Mr Hockey said.

Fuck Hockey's an arsehole. This is his chance to lampoon Labor's Fair Work Bill and he starts attacking the only base the Coalition has left.

spiny norman

HSC
You seem to have a problem with skilled politicians. Which isn't a jibe against you it's personally reasonable they are able to decieve the most innocent and manipulate the most vulneralbe for their own political ascension.
I dislike these two because they both stand for nothing except their own ambitions and desire for power. They'll happily say whatever they perceive to be the most popular thing at the time. They're bland and repugnant.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I dislike these two because they both stand for nothing except their own ambitions and desire for power. They'll happily say whatever they perceive to be the most popular thing at the time. They're bland and repugnant.
Quite unlike the current Prime Minister, obviously.

Lentern

HSC
The modern day boring, dull, greying, jack of all trades, all things to all people politician is that which which is most likely to climb the greasy poll in todays society. Every now and again you'll get a government that will buy their party so deeply that the opposition can win with someone slightly interesting, like Obama, but that takes an exceptional amount of luck and when the incumbent isn't that unpopular you end up getting thrashed in the polls. Don't blame the politicians, their just responding to what the people call for. Howard circa 1996 and Rudd circa 2007 were both exceptionally bland, tentative politicians as well. Hawke was a bit more colourful, but Fraser was a bit of a Bush at that period.

Lentern

HSC
The author's biography?
:D
I'll take that as a compliment. Rather be bland and dull than crash and burn a radical. Which is much the difference between Smith's career and Lathams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)