Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
You think the government will let Turnbull off the hook so easy? This is going to hurt him and many of his colleagues will think him a damn fool for the way he charged in without covering his retreat.

We're also approaching the period where people start talking about a"decent run up to the election" which basically means if the party is going to change leaders it better do it soon so the new bloke can fight the election with some experience as a party leader. It doesn't fit in with the success of Rudd, Howard and Hawke (as opposed to Hayden, Peacock and Beazley) but the press makes a big deal out of it.

I agree that it's unlikely Turnbull will resign but thats not because he's in my opinion got nothing to gain/salvage by resigning. There's only one job he's interested in and he has little hope of getting a second chance any time soon so he might as well make this last for as long as he can.

Does anyone know if the state parties matter much in the liberal party? I would imagine the ALP, particularly the Queensland and Victorian branches would be unhappy if four consecutive party leaders were all Sydney based candidates.
It could be a tactic to delay the carbon scheme. I mean, it did put off parliament for 5 days.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
CPRS is in the Senate. Debate on the bills has proceeded normally (as has other senate business).

HSC
N/A
hey cool rafy you moronic partisan hack.

meanwhile the rest of australia won't care

and meanwhile turnbull will continue to look more like some douchebag who's making a massive fuss over nothing. a douchebag who's not doing very well at that either, as if that were possible.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
The whole thing is farcical. National politics is a disgrace.

Where is the talent in Canberra? I'm tired of hearing rehearsed lines and soundbites from both sides.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Turnbull moving another censure motion.

(EDIT: Ouch, Albanese moved a cloture motion)

haha, love how Abbott is moving closure motions against Albanese

Last edited:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Watching question time - very, very frustrating.

Hardly democracy. What has Swan got to hide?

Gazd92

HSC
Watching question time - very, very frustrating.

Hardly democracy. What has Swan got to hide?
swan is a slimy worm, trying to talk his way out of this email mess he's created lol.
he thought by accusing the government of fraudulent activities all the focus would be on them.. turns out he's gained the most negative attention coz his record isn't as clean as everyone thought.. he was communicating on a regular basis to Grech (who happens to be another slimy worm by the looks of it)
anyway, swanny has a lot to explain in his own game, which at the state its going at, looks like he'll be losing.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
swan is a slimy worm, trying to talk his way out of this email mess he's created lol.
he thought by accusing the government of fraudulent activities all the focus would be on them.. turns out he's gained the most negative attention coz his record isn't as clean as everyone thought.. he was communicating on a regular basis to Grech (who happens to be another slimy worm by the looks of it)
anyway, swanny has a lot to explain in his own game, which at the state its going at, looks like he'll be losing.
I feel sorry for Grech, I think he's just a scape goat for the Labor party in all this business. The poor guy apparently also has some kind of serious health condition he's dealing with.

atreus

HSC
I feel sorry for Grech, I think he's just a scape goat for the Labor party in all this business. The poor guy apparently also has some kind of serious health condition he's dealing with.
Are you serious? It is becoming more and more likely that he created the email, and even if he did not, it appears that he had communicated with the Liberal party about the email before he was grilled by Abetz. And now he has been admitted to hospital suffering from stress. Yes, his neighbour said that he had been seriously ill in the past, and that is unfortunate. But if it turns out that he played any role in creating or using the email against the government, knowing that it was a fake, then he has brought this latest health problem upon himself.

If anyone is going to be using him as a scapegoat, it's Turnbull.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Swan's fucked, and he knows it. The call for Turnbull resigned is a Goebbels-esque smokescreen.
From what I've been reading and the reactions I've heard from people over the past week, I'd say it's exactly the opposite.

In other news, Steven Fielding just published a little paper where he intricately denies that global warming exists. He's not just claiming it's natural or anything stupid like that, he's flat-out denying that the Earth's atmospheric temperature has changed at all over the past 100 years. There's denial, and then there's self-delusion.

Queue double dissolution trigger.

Also, Turnbull's suffering a beating over two separate Coalition defections in as many weeks: one group against the alcopops bill, another for the cancelling detention debt bill.

I doubt Turnbull will last the year. That's a shame. The Coal will no doubt elect somebody from the relatively far right to replace him. Uhg.

Lentern

HSC
Also, Turnbull's suffering a beating over two separate Coalition defections in as many weeks: one group against the alcopops bill, another for the cancelling detention debt bill.

I doubt Turnbull will last the year. That's a shame. The Coal will no doubt elect somebody from the relatively far right to replace him. Uhg.
I agree Turnbull is unlikely to last the year but I don't know about a hardline conservative having to be the next leader. Who did you have in mind? Abbott?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I agree Turnbull is unlikely to last the year but I don't know about a hardline conservative having to be the next leader. Who did you have in mind? Abbott?
Hockey. I don't know if he's got a chance but he certainly wants it. Look at, for example, how much effort he spent distancing himself from every aspect of this whole scandal - from attacking Rudd/Swan to defending Turnbull. I don't really care though. I don't think even the Liberal leader after Turnbull will be PM - rudd is too strong, and it would be history in the making for Labour (or Liberal for that matter) to not serve at least two terms as government once elected.

I don't know what his leaning is, I was just observing that's how the pattern goes - left, then right, then left. And ironically, when somebody from the left faction is the leader, they act more right-wing, while if it's somebody from the right, they act more left-wing.

I guess it's to please the faction least happy with them in order to consolidate power and preserve unity.

Lentern

HSC
Hockey. I don't know if he's got a chance but he certainly wants it. Look at, for example, how much effort he spent distancing himself from every aspect of this whole scandal - from attacking Rudd/Swan to defending Turnbull. I don't really care though. I don't think even the Liberal leader after Turnbull will be PM - rudd is too strong, and it would be history in the making for Labour (or Liberal for that matter) to not serve at least two terms as government once elected.

I don't know what his leaning is, I was just observing that's how the pattern goes - left, then right, then left. And ironically, when somebody from the left faction is the leader, they act more right-wing, while if it's somebody from the right, they act more left-wing.

I guess it's to please the faction least happy with them in order to consolidate power and preserve unity.
My friend Joe Hockey is by no stretch of the imagination a hardline conservative. He is one of the liberal parties more progressive members. If there was a hardlienr enjoying some success at the moment I agree the liberals would likely line up behind him but there isn't really any.

You don't by any chance frequent mumble do you?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
My friend Joe Hockey is by no stretch of the imagination a hardline conservative. He is one of the liberal parties more progressive members. If there was a hardlienr enjoying some success at the moment I agree the liberals would likely line up behind him but there isn't really any.

You don't by any chance frequent mumble do you?
As I said, I don't know what his leaning is - he's just the guy who seems most likely to replace Turnbull, especially given his behaviour of late (though he's careful to support Turnbull 100% in public).

I've been known to visit it when Poll Bludger hasn't updated in a while and I'm rather bored. The layout is atrocious, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)