Australian Science Olympiads (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Re: Science Olympiads

Hm wow. Okay, it's a lot different than I thought I'd be. Maybe not something for me. ^^"

cccclaire

HSC

sle3pe3bumz said:
Hm wow. Okay, it's a lot different than I thought I'd be. Maybe not something for me. ^^"
do it, because its just a test and its free.
And if you get in its a really good camp. And even if you don't you could get a credit or distinction, and generally universities regard olympiads fairly highly.

Zephyrio

HSC

I've been making notes at lightning fast pace for the year 11 chemistry, and I bought a year 12 text book yesterday so I could start.

Had a look at the chemistry syllabus for the Olympiad. Most of the stuff there is in the HSC course. So guys, the bio/phys one might be similar to your HSC courses, so don't study off on some crazy tangent and keep a clear direction. But there is some first year chem stuff in the NQE too. So I asked my friend to fight for this chemistry book there, LOL.

At first I thought "Why the hell should I be bothering if I'm clearly not going to get in?" But then I thought that because I've been given this opportunity, I should try to make the most of it and pray for a high distinction.

Vulgarfraction's had a bit of experience with these exams. How did you prepare? (She's gotten HD before if I recall correctly. =D)

Also, what are the levels of achievement in terms of the NQE?

Participation, credit, distinction, high distinction.... then....?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

cccclaire said:
do it, because its just a test and its free.
And if you get in its a really good camp. And even if you don't you could get a credit or distinction, and generally universities regard olympiads fairly highly.
hm really ? wow .. that does sound pretty good .. but like ive got to talk to my school about it and i pretty much have no idea what it's about and it kinda sounds out of my league in a sense to .. hm ill think about it. Thanks for that though cccclaire. =]

northofnorth

HSC
How to make the team for the international science olympiads

EDIT: once again i must state.......i am doing the hsc......i only wrote this lesson to see some overachieving year 10s come out and say they had been to the international science olympiads etc, so i apologise.

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Olympiad letter

anyone got the invites yet?

sen00

HSC
Re: Olympiad letter

yeh invites were received two days ago on monday from aso. all the people from maths olympiad made it to physics because theres always a maths quesiton in the physics olympiad. thats the only problem i solved and i still got invited, lol. must mean that australia really isnt strong at physics atm.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

Nope...i doubt i made it ^^

GL at camp!

HappyFeet

HSC

Man, if they didn't restrict the people that can get into the camp to people with Australian passports then I would have gladly sat it. I didn't sit it because I don't have a chance and since I don't have an Australian passport I am even less bothered with it.

genril

Banned
HSC

Haha, I got in but no way in hell am I attending that nerd fest.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

yeah, I got in too guyz! ^____^

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

i never gave my address, my teacher just registered us...is that alright?

DayOT

HSC

Yes, it should be fine. If you are invited they'll phone you, or failing that ASO will send the invite to the school to forward to you. They will send the certificate/s to your school anyway.

HappyFeet

HSC

Do you guys get training materials? When I was in NZ, after I got invited to the NZIMO Camp we got sent training materials. Just wondering.

le91

HSC

I got in to maths and phys but i don't know which one to go to. And it's due on the 20th. Thats 4 days away!!!

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Olympiads

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the Math and Physics Olympiads.

1. How hard is it to get into the Math and/or Physics olymiads?

2. What years can you do it in? (i.e. Year 9,10,11,12)

3. I am currently in year 9, accel(Math Yr 10). I have a deep interest in both maths and physics. Is it to late for me to try these kind of things?

4. For the math olymiad (National/International), Do you have to already understand Ext 2 Math or what? Do they send you to a training camp like they do for physics olympiad contestents?

5. Whats the syllabus for these kind of things, do you have to know uni math/physics?

Sorry For all the questions,

Cheers and Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Olympiads

1. Not very - everyone at my school does the Maths Olympiads. As for Physics Olympiads - never knew there was such thing, but I suppose this is the first year we've done Physics so who knows?

2. We did Maths Olympiad since Year 7. Personally, I did it from Year 5, all the way up until now.

3. It's never to late to try. If your school offers it, I would definitely recommend doing it. If not, talk to your Maths teacher, or Head of Maths, and see if there are any 'enrichment' programs running at your school. I think the Year 9 Maths Olympiad course is known as Noether (correct me if I'm wrong). As for Physics - talk to your Head of Science, or Science teacher - however, don't be too disappointed if you're not allowed to do Physics Olympiad - you're only in Year 9.

4. I have no idea - I'm not -that- good at Maths. :p

5. If you're referring to National/International, then probably? I dunno. As for the school one, just your basic Grade maths will do.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I dont really understand??? :S

So whats the SQE (science qualifying exam) on???

If its on Year 11,12 Physics topics, how are year 10's expected to do it???

Whats the process??? Where do you start??? You really have to tell me everything because i only herd of it yesterday PLEASE!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. I've never heard of the SQE.

2. I've never heard of the Physics Olympiad (as stated in my above post).

3. I dunno. I can only tell you what I know.

coolguy4208

HSC
N/A
I was wondering what was the grading system on 2017's biology Olympiad, which percentage of questions would you have to answer correctly for distinction+?
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)