• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australia's Obesity Epidemic (1 Viewer)

TacoTerrorist

HSC
There is still the laziness factor, lack of time, lack of motivation, and 'just don't want to', and I guess its a combination of some, or all of these factors that is driving the problem.
Exactly, so that is why we kill two birds with one stone and cut down on fuel consumption and fat by using the obese (and just overweight if demand outstrips supply) to physically power our vehicles through a simple tubby-to-leash-to-car mechanism.

Evan11

HSC
scarybunny said:
I suppose, there aren't that many fat people at uni. Probably because of the walking, maybe because you need a UAI to get in.
'

you know something interesting i noticed, i hardly ever see any1 smoking at uni.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Evan11 said:
'

you know something interesting i noticed, i hardly ever see any1 smoking at uni.
Really? I do.

Hardly ever see any fatties though, and they usually turn out to be lecturers, not students, anyway.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Really? I do.

Hardly ever see any fatties though, and they usually turn out to be lecturers, not students, anyway.
Yeah that's the same for me as well. There are less overweight uni students in my uni than there were in highschool and out on the street.

HSC
N/A
Difference in attitudes between males and females?

Men overweight and oblivious: study
Friday Apr 11 00:01 AEST
The majority of Australian men are fat but only half of them know it, according to new research showing an alarming number are in denial about their weight.

Obesity experts say men's acceptance of the beer belly and the `bigger is better' approach to size are behind results of a new national analysis showing perception problems with male weight.

More than 60 per cent of men have a body mass index (BMI) over 30, making them clinically overweight, yet only 36 per cent perceive themselves to be.

Women, on the other hand, were better at recognising their extra weight, and those who were well-off and well-educated were actually more likely to overestimate rather than underestimate their weight.
http://optuszoo.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=65635&_cobr=optus

Just something I found interesting. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
There are some genuine medical reasons for being overweight but as far as I am aware there is no such condition that is not somewhat manageable with medication, diet, exercise or a combination of these. So there's absolutely no excuse for being morbidly obese. Even if you're predisposed to being fat because of a medical condition you shouldn't let yourself go. That'd be like having cancer and just going "whatever" and letting that tumour consume your body even though you can go and get something done about it.
There are actually instances where one must rely on drugs to stay alive which cause significant and unavoidable weight gain...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
withoutaface said:
There are actually instances where one must rely on drugs to stay alive which cause significant and unavoidable weight gain...
well yeah those would be the genuine medical reasons i was referring to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)