Australia's Obesity Epidemic (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

Natural selection should prevent fat people from reproducing anyway.

HSC
katie_tully said:
Does anybody think the impact of insurance costs on local sports or the decline of team sports in some areas has contributed?
No.

withoutaface said:
Maybe eventually they'll get so fat that they all die before the reach the age of reproduction, thereby solving the problem.
Gavvvvvin said:
Don't think we can rely on those. :(

Really, we should give up on those already fat and work in fitness from a young age. Regular exercise beginning in school should be enforced (sport doesn't last long enough and many schools offer stuff like tenpin bowling..). Of course a solution like this doesn't translate to reality so well, because parents will always excuse lazy kids somehow and so on.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
lol. apparently there are people who actually find obesity a turn on. cause being suffocated by half a ton of fat sweaty thrusting lardball is real hot, right. :confused:

i do think that if sports activities in the community were more accessible that we might be on the way to fixing the problem. but a bigger problem is the lack of motivation that means even if there were sports facilities on every corner where they paid you to play, people would still opt to sit inside and watch tv. we've become too accustomed to comfort and having things just set in front of us. and it's not just fatties, i'll admit i was going to go for a run today and canned the idea because it was too hot outside.

they need to promote awesome fun sports like rockclimbing and ice skating and dancing more. when you're having fun you tend not to notice the exercise you're doing as much. and you associate it with good times, instead of 'oh fuck i have to get on the treadmill now'.

K

katie_tully

veloc1ty said:
No.

Don't think we can rely on those. :(

Really, we should give up on those already fat and work in fitness from a young age. Regular exercise beginning in school should be enforced (sport doesn't last long enough and many schools offer stuff like tenpin bowling..). Of course a solution like this doesn't translate to reality so well, because parents will always excuse lazy kids somehow and so on.
They tried forced exercise in school when I was there. The funny thing is, is that they cannot actually force you to exercise so it's pointless.

I think banning crap from school canteens was a step, but that wasn't going to stop Junior from packing a family sized pack of Snickers in his backpack. It also doesn't stop him/her from going home after school and splurging.

I don't think it's too late to work on adolescents/young adults with weight problems and I think that allowing your 12 year old to become obese needs to be considered Child Abuse.

K

katie_tully

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
lol. apparently there are people who actually find obesity a turn on. cause being suffocated by half a ton of fat sweaty thrusting lardball is real hot, right. :confused:

i do think that if sports activities in the community were more accessible that we might be on the way to fixing the problem. but a bigger problem is the lack of motivation that means even if there were sports facilities on every corner where they paid you to play, people would still opt to sit inside and watch tv. we've become too accustomed to comfort and having things just set in front of us. and it's not just fatties, i'll admit i was going to go for a run today and canned the idea because it was too hot outside.

they need to promote awesome fun sports like rockclimbing and ice skating and dancing more. when you're having fun you tend not to notice the exercise you're doing as much. and you associate it with good times, instead of 'oh fuck i have to get on the treadmill now'.
It amazes me that people can sit and watch television all day. THERE IS FREAKIN NOTHING WORTH WATCHING!

HSC
katie_tully said:
They tried forced exercise in school when I was there. The funny thing is, is that they cannot actually force you to exercise so it's pointless.
No break time unless you exercise first? Something like that. Probably not legal, impedes 'freedom'.

katie_tully said:
I don't think it's too late to work on adolescents/young adults with weight problems and I think that allowing your 12 year old to become obese needs to be considered Child Abuse.
Yeah. Though it's hard to help those who don't want it.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to see an effective solution. As a society we really have become used to convenience and doing things with minimal effort.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah i think sometimes the notion of personal freedom is taken a little bit too far. there is freedom to live the way you want without persecution, and then there is 'freedom' in the sense that forcing someone to do anything, no matter how beneficial it may actually be to them, becomes illegal. i don't see a problem with forced exercise or dieting if it means slowing the spread of a serious health problem. if there was an epidemic of some horrible disease and you were 'forced' to get a vaccination, you wouldn't complain, would you? it's the same principle. the difference is, surprise surprise, the solution to obesity requires effort to be put in. who woulda thunk it.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i don't think there's any one single way of going about the issue since it's so complicated- but all the suggestions are worthwhile and complement each other

but basically three main things:
1) we need to address people attitudes- that it's not okay to be overweight and it's a "health hazard" not a "lifestyle choice"
2) skills- how to cook, shop for fresh ingredients, exercise
3) knowledge- risks of overweight, benefits of healthy lifestyle (e.g. better sex life)

banco55

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yeah i think sometimes the notion of personal freedom is taken a little bit too far. there is freedom to live the way you want without persecution, and then there is 'freedom' in the sense that forcing someone to do anything, no matter how beneficial it may actually be to them, becomes illegal. i don't see a problem with forced exercise or dieting if it means slowing the spread of a serious health problem. if there was an epidemic of some horrible disease and you were 'forced' to get a vaccination, you wouldn't complain, would you? it's the same principle. the difference is, surprise surprise, the solution to obesity requires effort to be put in. who woulda thunk it.
The flip side is they can have all the personal freedom they want to be fat bastards but I should have the freedom to not subsidise their health care.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
We should not complain that we are fat, we must be grateful that we are fat. Remember there are billions of starving people in China, India and Africa who never had chocolate in their entire life. Obesity is not even a problem, its a fake problems just like Global Warming and all those junk science.

K

katie_tully

Aryanbeauty said:
We should not complain that we are fat, we must be grateful that we are fat. Remember there are billions of starving people in China, India and Africa who never had chocolate in their entire life. Obesity is not even a problem, its a fake problems just like Global Warming and all those junk science.
Massive troll effort.

Fail.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
katie_tully said:
That is hilarious. Who gets fat from a lack of public transport. Wouldn't that make you walk more?
When will people take responsibility for their own weight management!
(EDIT: This isn't a bash fatty thread, there is already one of those. This is where we're all going to discuss nicely what the best strategy for attacking obesity is) :)
Me, coz you can't walk anywhere where i live.
<<<
PS would you like to see my luv handles?

Jks

K

katie_tully

1. Hawkesbury - 58.2%

2. Macarthur - 55.9%

3. Nepean - 55.6%

4. Liverpool - 53.7%

5. Bankstown - 51.4%

6. Hunter Urban - 50.7%

7. Central Coast - 50.4%

In rural NSW, there are 12 areas where more than half the population over 16 is overweight or obese:

1. Barrier - 62.4%

2. Barwon - 58.2%

3. Dubbo Plains - 56.6%

4. Hunter Rural - 55.6%

5. North West Slopes - 55%

6. Remote outback NSW - 55%

7. Shoalhaven - 53.7%

8. South East NSW - 52.7%

9. Central West - 52.4%

10. Murrumbidgee - 52.1%

11. New England - 51%

12. Riverina - 50.7%

K

katie_tully

Holy crap literally one in two people are going to be overweight or obese
Or 5/10
or 10/20
OR if you're in a small town like me, 5000/10,000!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
katie_tully said:
Or 5/10
or 10/20
Nah, Hawkesbury is a city of 55,000 so 58.2% of that would be 32,010 people are overweight :(
Edit census: 63,824 persons living in Hawkesbury x 0.582 = 37,146 overweight :( :( :(

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Or 5/10
or 10/20
I read an article on news.com.au the other day, that says that if a pregnant mum is overweight when she's pregnant, her children will grow up to be overweight/obese adults too. If she was slim and healthy, then her children would be slim and healthy adults. It was a pretty convincing I must say.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I'm not surprised the hunter region is high in both lists, when the sydney figures came out earlier I'd guessed we would be equal to the poorest (fattest) parts of sydney, there's enormous fat people EVERYWHERE around here :D

In any case let them eat, when the recession (depression?) hits under KRudd they'll need all the fat reserves they can get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)