• manual. im a female

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Ummm I think you've shown you know jack shit..... and not just on this occasion (Although this seems to be your dumbest call yet). Anyway, I know a guy with an AU Ford, next week I will judge for myself... but lets just say, Im not holding my breath, burnout to 80km/h LOL -> IMPOSSIBLE
yup, sorry daddyK, but from how you have described your car unless it's tyres are heavily overinflated and have 0.1mm of tread on it on a dry road it shouldnt reach 80km/h

and let me confirm it for you by telling you that my mate's commo has an old cop chip installed in it (and has ripped everything from souped up corollas to souped up supras and even the odd SS) and when he overinflates his tyres he gets wheelspin to the 60 mark, but the road has to be at least tilted slightly upwards. this is based off memory, but i can always ask him again.

you cant tell me a stock AU has more power than a cop chip installed executive

Jiga

At this point i'd like to say the start of the burnout was going around a corner from a standstill, so it wasn't entirely in a straight line.
Your up shit creek without a paddle... just admit your talking shit and the pain will stop :rofl:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
why is there even the option of auto- male

everyone knows a real male drives manual :D

all heckling aside, large burnouts have and do happen, wet incline? its gonna spin for however long you want it to

I dunno if front or rear spins more, i am inclined to say rear but the physics logic posted above makes sense.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
well, i tested i out today, and i got wheel spin up to around 60 in my excel on the wet with no double clutching. knowing my car i am certain that it could have easily hit 80/90 (with double clutching), and before anyone says " so? i can do that with my falcodore :p" dont forget the power differences. place the falcodore next to an FTO and get a more accurate reading...

Jiga

Yes but we are talking about in the dry! Its piss easy to get them to spin in the wet in any car, auto or manual, 1.3L or 6L,, thats common sense, I can spin em up to 80km/h+... but in the dry, its impossible! And thats what Daddyk was referring to, under normal conditions.

EDIT:

Also, I mentioned this earlier:

"there is no way on earth an auto burns out up to 80km/h EVEN if the tyres were bald as anything (In dry conditions that is, in the wet is another story!)"

Last edited by a moderator:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
wow this poll is interesting. There is no outstanding transmission among males or females. of course, this is just the student population who are members of BOS.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
Shell said:
wow this poll is interesting. There is no outstanding transmission among males or females. of course, this is just the student population who are members of BOS.
correction: its the 73 people that roam this board...

yeah true shoolies, even in dry conditions i cant get it past 45 km/hr, and even then i have to double clutch midway to keep them spinning.

HSC
Autos are absolutely rubbish - their slow, boring, more expensive and less fuel efficient - figure that out . MANUAL ALL THE WAYY!!!!!

Jiga

Its a convenience thing. Personally unless its a performance car or something with alot of power why bother with a manual? Its more work, less relaxing, and most of all when you go drive through at maccas etc its impossible to eat and drive at the same time! Same with answering a call on your mobile etc. (Maybe not impossible, but point is its alot more difficult). Not to mention when Im doing something stupid I prefer to have two hands on the wheel instead of one having to change gears.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
You forget about changing gears. It becomes a natural thing, which no longer intrudes in your conscious mind. It can provide that quick 'get up and go' in tight spots.

However, eating whilst driving and talking on the mobile are things which probably shouldn't be done regardless of your car's transmission. [/disclaimer]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
James Donaldson said:
Autos are absolutely rubbish - their slow, boring, more expensive and less fuel efficient - figure that out . MANUAL ALL THE WAYY!!!!!
Don't alot of modern automatic* transmissions overcome all those issues? Some automatics/CVTs can shift in 0.25, and then there's tiptronic with paddle-shifting to make things a little more interesting when you want them to be, in some cars the automatic is cheaper than the manual (or same price)- but this is usually more expensive cars to begin with, and if I'm not mistaken, the difference in fuel consumption between the two is negligible in modern transmissions.

* Automatic is loosely used to refer to everything from the old 4-speed auto, to the 6/7-speeds, and the CVTs, automated clutch, clutchless manual, etc...

In the future, do you really think manual will be the base model standard or will it become an optional extra?

lengy

HSC
Apparently the new Porsche's auto does a better 0 - 100 than the manual just because it shifts better. After playing Most Wanted and Gran Turismo 4 I've gotten used to manual, at least on games, and respect that they, in most cases, are faster than automatics but I still prefer automatic. It's more relaxing and easier. I have a tendency to down shift too early, so manuals are confusing and potentially more dangerous.

Jiga

You forget about changing gears. It becomes a natural thing, which no longer intrudes in your conscious mind. It can provide that quick 'get up and go' in tight spots.

However, eating whilst driving and talking on the mobile are things which probably shouldn't be done regardless of your car's transmission. [/disclaimer]
Yeah but its still doing extra work for nothing. And although yea mobile isnt the best thing to be occupied with its prity easy to safely eat with an auto... one hand on steering wheel, other with a burger/drink in it..... unlike the mobile it doesnt involve having to look away from the road or getting your focus off the road.

As for other arguments, I would imagine that the gap between auto and manual in acceleration would be slowly reduced as technology becomes more advanced... although the major disadvantage is that auto's lose kw because of the torque converter or something.

Zozo6969

HSC
veterandoggy said:
if you rev it up to about 3K before letting go of the brake,
Cant do that on an auto mate unless you get a special transmission. The automatic clutch wont engage unless the revs are low enough and are at a safe level. the clutch is disengaged (ie. if it were a manual - clutch pedal in) whenever your foot is on the brake, that is why the car is idle when you are slowing down. it is also disengaged when you are just coasting along ie. fuel consumption. that is why when u put ur foot back on the accelerator it pre-revs a little and is a bit unresponsive until the clutch is engaged again.

the only way would be by using the handbrake, not footbrake.

butch14589

HSC
Pace_T said:
hi
just wondering how many ppl drive auto compared to manual
ok how can i put this...
4 starters u cant drive an auto, u can only steer it! every one knows that those people who drive manual have greater control over the speed of the car and you have a lot less breakdowns in them too

roo

HSC
I bought a new manual car, with only a few previous lessons. Learning to drive it was a steep learning curve for me, but I'm never gonna look back! Heaps more fun, fuel efficient and better control, especially for a lil 1.5L.

I know quite a few girls who drive manuals actually, but then I know some who just aren't interested.

Jiga

4 starters u cant drive an auto, u can only steer it! every one knows that those people who drive manual have greater control over the speed of the car and you have a lot less breakdowns in them too
Ummmmm how do manuals have less break downs, Id really like to know? Most of the time when people break down it has nothing to do with the transmission and more to do with them being retarded and for example not checking oil levels until the engine seizes up or not watchin engine temp until it overheats and severe internal engine damage has been done or because of something unfortunate like electrical problems.... ALL of which have nothing to do with whether its manual or auto. The only real difference is that if you come into troubles with a poorly maintained transmission, it will set you back quite abit, while getting a new clutch every now and then is alot cheaper.

And it still is driving in an auto lol, changing gears is not even half of driving... its being able to control your car. And with the advent of the semi-auto.... you can now relax with a fully automatic transmission when your just driving from a to z and then use semi-automatic when you want to get from a to z faster! Best of both worlds.

I will say though, Id prefer manual because I like to drive my cars hard.... but without a manual in my family and without the possiblity of purchasing any form of performance car in the near future, auto is the way!

Last edited by a moderator:

bizadfar

HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Cant do that on an auto mate unless you get a special transmission. The automatic clutch wont engage unless the revs are low enough and are at a safe level. the clutch is disengaged (ie. if it were a manual - clutch pedal in) whenever your foot is on the brake, that is why the car is idle when you are slowing down. it is also disengaged when you are just coasting along ie. fuel consumption. that is why when u put ur foot back on the accelerator it pre-revs a little and is a bit unresponsive until the clutch is engaged again.

the only way would be by using the handbrake, not footbrake.
Ah no, i do that in my 4WD all the time. I have my foot on the brake, and when i can sense its about to green i have a my right foot just a bit on the accel. Yea, it causes additional stress, and consumption, but u can do it. Probably not to spin the wheels, but getting a better start.

THe only crap thing about autos is they are pretty effortless things to drive in, unresponsive as you have mentioned (esp older), from stand still to low speed(ie 40) is very fucking slow.

Also a manual has much more potential for aftermarket crap.
edit: i forgot to add, wait till u drive a sequential shifter. That's amazing stuff (like in kart even)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)