aviation (pilot) (1 Viewer)

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
you dont have to pay flying training till 3rd year
Really? Because the guy I was talking to who is a student there said you have to pay $15 000 every half year for three years. :S

James747

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
Really? Because the guy I was talking to who is a student there said you have to pay $15 000 every half year for three years. :S
this is correct

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Anyone go to Swinburne interview yesterday??????. VET-FEEHELP is apprently 90% chance of being introduced to the Advanced Diploma next year, which is good.

Anyone else have an interview with Swinburne yet?

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
the guy at the open day said it was possible to defer payment till the 3rd year

im just goig by his information

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
the guy at the open day said it was possible to defer payment till the 3rd year

im just goig by his information
I really do hope the payment is deferable. IF you have any more info in the future about the payment stuff can you please post it up. thanks

Pookey

HSC
Has anyone heard any further info? If not, i was thinking of contacting UNSW and telling them how Swinburne is obviously a better uni and try and get them to offer defering the fees as well for 2010...

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
uai is about 80..and i think they also require you to have a first class medical cert...there might also be an interview..

english, advanced maths and physics are recommended

your also looking at about 55k for the flying training which can not paid through hecs-help..
only the theory can which i think is 20k per year ?

cheapest way is just get ur cpl with mecir and go off to the bush :)
If you look in the UAC guide, it'll tell you "U+C", which means that it requires UAI + other selecting criteria. It's best you phone up/ask for info at UNSW open days about the selection criteria.

As for UAI requirement- I know a person with a UAI of 99.XX with excellent leadership/communiation skills who still did not get offered a place, so it's essential that you make sure you fulfill every requirement.

And on a side note, a friend of my uncle works in the aviation industry. He said that the demand for commercial pilots are going to decrease in the future as they research more about auto-piloting.

domoman

HSC
And on a side note, a friend of my uncle works in the aviation industry. He said that the demand for commercial pilots are going to decrease in the future as they research more about auto-piloting.
This would have to be very long term. Remember just because a plane has an auto-pilot doesn't mean the pilot sits back and does nothing. Also look at all the latest planes A380, 787 even down to the small size commercial they all have the same crew numbers as before just a better and more reliable autopilot systems or even still none at all.

Cheers

HSC
This would have to be very long term. Remember just because a plane has an auto-pilot doesn't mean the pilot sits back and does nothing. Also look at all the latest planes A380, 787 even down to the small size commercial they all have the same crew numbers as before just a better and more reliable autopilot systems or even still none at all.

Cheers
yeah that's right..

umm flight crew have to be trained to execute a cat 3 approach..
you can't just set it up when you're not trained (even though you may think
that is what happens)

also..i think there will always be pilots..
if you think about it..and disregarding that air travel is the safest form of travel..

would you put your life in the hands of a computer without a person on board who would know what to do in the likelihood that they failed?
coz most aircrashes are from mechanical failure..not pilot error

Pookey

HSC
yeah that's right..

umm flight crew have to be trained to execute a cat 3 approach..
you can't just set it up when you're not trained (even though you may think
that is what happens)

also..i think there will always be pilots..
if you think about it..and disregarding that air travel is the safest form of travel..

would you put your life in the hands of a computer without a person on board who would know what to do in the likelihood that they failed?
coz most aircrashes are from mechanical failure..not pilot error

Actually, most Aircraft crashes these days are due to Pilot Error and are most commonly CFIT Crashes (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). The countries with the highest rate of mechanically caused crashes are countries like Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. where most Pilots are ex. Military and the government refuses to admit that the Pilot made any errors. However the comment about putting your lives in the hands of a computer still stands. A survey of people in Europe (2000) found that 83% of those surveyed would boycott any airline without a human in control.

domoman

HSC
Actually, most Aircraft crashes these days are due to Pilot Error and are most commonly CFIT Crashes (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). The countries with the highest rate of mechanically caused crashes are countries like Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. where most Pilots are ex. Military and the government refuses to admit that the Pilot made any errors. However the comment about putting your lives in the hands of a computer still stands. A survey of people in Europe (2000) found that 83% of those surveyed would boycott any airline without a human in control.
This is true that more accidents are now due to pilot error and hopefully in the future this can be eliminated even more. For example I was looking at one of the Cirrus aircraft (that new tiny jet it might have been) and in the PFD or ND the data has the height of mountains so if an aircraft his heading straight into them, the pilot will know. Pilot error can also be easily eliminated with teamwork and knowledge of procedures and regulations which as everything in aviation has many safeguards, but then again we are human and simply do things wrong from time to time.

I don't know if I'm completely right or not but didn't airbus try a flight with an unmanned A320 and it crashed straight after takeoff. If this is true surly it would put this technology on the back burner for many years, at least until military fighters are unmanned. This probably isn't that far away as many people are saying the current fighters being created will be the last manned fighters.

Example of the need for human could be the recent QF A330 that plunged out off the sky. Without pilots on board to disengage the autopilot/computers what would have happen?

HSC
This is true that more accidents are now due to pilot error and hopefully in the future this can be eliminated even more. For example I was looking at one of the Cirrus aircraft (that new tiny jet it might have been) and in the PFD or ND the data has the height of mountains so if an aircraft his heading straight into them, the pilot will know. Pilot error can also be easily eliminated with teamwork and knowledge of procedures and regulations which as everything in aviation has many safeguards, but then again we are human and simply do things wrong from time to time.

I don't know if I'm completely right or not but didn't airbus try a flight with an unmanned A320 and it crashed straight after takeoff. If this is true surly it would put this technology on the back burner for many years, at least until military fighters are unmanned. This probably isn't that far away as many people are saying the current fighters being created will be the last manned fighters.

Example of the need for human could be the recent QF A330 that plunged out off the sky. Without pilots on board to disengage the autopilot/computers what would have happen?
I saw a video of that on youtube..i dont knwas an official one by airbus though..

and pilot error in scheduled t=air transport account for just over half..

TheStallion

HSC
I think commercial pilots will eventually be phased out, definitely to the point where the pilot simply sits in the cockpit and observes, in case anything does go wrong.

Pookey

HSC
Just so you know, I contacted Swinburne and the entire flying fees are covered under HECS-HELP. You only have to pay a max of $7500 which is for the exams, medicals, licence fees, etc. UNSW does NOT offer this as of today (04/08)...

TheStallion

HSC
HECS/HELP is only a loan... I think, so you're still paying the full amount at Swinburne, just not until you finish the degree.

If I'm wrong about HECS/HELP, my bad. :)

Pookey

HSC
No, you're right.

But paying it off over time later is still better than having to pay $100,000 up front. :(.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Many think that going to University to get your wings is the best way and gives you better chance to get that first Job. Everyone will disagree on this, especially if you are already in one of these courses, but whats the point of studying for 3 years? I am on my way to getting a CPL, and whilst I am $80k in debt, I am progressing 2 years quicker, possibly smoother, more one-to-one time with Instructor and the atmosphere is not tense. I pick my hours, I am in control, not Swinburne or Institution. That is 2 years that I will land that job sooner than others, 2 years quicker to pay off my ugly debt.....

Will those University guys get a job any easier than others doing it via a flying school, not always. Sure there is an association with Qantas in some courses, but not everyone wants to one day work for the Red Rat...certianly not me anyway. I have come across many that are like "ooooo.. I want to work for Qantas and even Virgin Blue is cool so I want to work for them one day". Yet these are the people will be screwed by the T&C's they get locked into by focusing on airline appearance for christ sake. I for one would be chasing an airline that offered no overnights and returning to the same Home port after every shitf, because once you start talking to some QF/DJ/JQ Crew, it can be no happy lifestyle from the tales I have heard..

Good Luck to all and smooth sailing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)