Avril Lavigne... (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rosie
OMG i love avril lavigne although i don't own her album but its all good coz my niece isgetting it for chrissy and i will just get a burned copy off her! Has everyone heard her new song 'here with you'?? its really nice just different to skater boi and complicated. I love the way she doesn't have to show herself practically naked to be liked and popular with teens! its about time someone like avril came along!! :)
yes 'im with you' ... alto its slow ... its a nice ballad ... altho its pretty slow ... and it is thing like the first three tracks off the album ... actually when i think about it i dont like track one - losing my grip ...

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i remember back in year 10 the try-hards (girls and guys) wore ties so they'd look more like year 12 students lol

anyway....what do you guys think of michelle branch and norah jones? i'm not really into pop music but i thought m.branch's album was v.good....as for norah jones i've only heard "come away with me" i reckon is probably the best song from a pop artist this year....
i liked branch's album spirit room after listening to it (that was after listening to her first two singles) ... but norah jones makes me fall asleep ...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
music these days is becoming.......annoying! It's not music anymore, it's juz noise made by a buncha ppl who cant sing

so once in a while u hear an average song and u fink hey dats a pretty good song. But if u heard it a few yrs ago u woulda thought, that sounds shite.

(damn im growing old)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
yeah your probably right ... they're (music companies) feeding us with so much crap ... then when something is half-decent it becomes great ...

dissonance

I'm a sucker for pop music with guitars. I mean her songs are good pop songs and I guess I kinda repect them for being that. They may be completely disposable + forgettable in a few years but in all honesty do you think she or her record company were aiming at creating anything more than a pop record that will sell? That's obviously her aim and there's nothing wrong with that - most people who set out to sell millions of records can't seem to do it for one reason or another...why do people seem to get angry at musicians who actually want to earn some money???
I have a hunch that avril is not trying to enlighten the western world, but I'm sure she aimed to make a living out of playing music.

As for her 'punk-image', I'd have to say it's less than convincing. Her lyrics also leave quite a bit to be desired...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by 1 more
i agree with the anti-marketing sentiment, she is way more contrived than britney.
another gripe of mine is like "u$her", the ridiculous slang as titles for songs-- i mean "sk8r boi"??!
Oh, totally!
It's looks like something you'd write on your pencil case in year 3.:rolleyes:

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
nah don't like her. or britney for that matter... but my music tastes can be pretty extreme though.

don't mind that kylie single though, come in to my world... i think it's just the clip, how there are multiples of everyone, man that freaks me out.

izi

HSC
For all those of you that hate her punk image should listen to her album. Her songs are so special. Listen to her album and you will fall in love with her voice, her lyrics, her music. Its got that edge that really gets to you. I have been listening to her album for months and i still love it. Her songs are so true and real.

Pretz

true and real eh? you mean like how in skaterboy she suggests that the songs namesake is a better person because he is a star?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by izi
For all those of you that hate her punk image should listen to her album. Her songs are so special. Listen to her album and you will fall in love with her voice, her lyrics, her music. Its got that edge that really gets to you. I have been listening to her album for months and i still love it. Her songs are so true and real.
Real and true?
Erm...no.

I'm willing to give credit where it's due-she has an OK voice. But I think thats about all she has going for her...I really don't see what all the fuss is about.:rolleyes:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings

Real and true?
Erm...no.

I'm willing to give credit where it's due-she has an OK voice. But I think thats about all she has going for her...I really don't see what all the fuss is about.:rolleyes:
I second that :)

Pretz

Me too. I mean I guess i'm actually thirding it...or something. But yeah, you get the idea.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata

And her image -

she says its a protest against girl music stars in scantley dressed clothes marketing their bodies and using that to sell rather than their music. While she obviously has to market her own music, just as everyone does, I agree, especially when you have people like Holly Vallance
She shouldn't have to "market" herself by the way she dresses...if she truly wanted to protest, she shouldn't be trying to shove her "punk" persona down everyone throats it's the same thing everyone else is doing!
Music should be about the music...nothing else. Least of all fashion.
(but I will agree with you on the fact that she has more class than Holly Valance...she should have stuck with Neighbours. What a fucking sell out.:rolleyes: )

Pretz

Yeah that's true. It's funny when it doesn't work though. Look at Selwyn trying to pull off that keepin it real i'm down with the hood aight act. I feel embarrassed for him. But then, he's making hundreds of thousands of dollars, so yeah, I'd probably do the same thing if it's selling his music (and it'd be even funnier because I'm white).

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
avril lavignes music totally contradicts her whole theme thing. shes a product

I hate the whole boi thing these days, especially when it dosn't save time. Boy already has three letters!? same with rawk (rock) sexc (sexy) etc. I'm cool if it saves time, or changes the way you say it, like you=u, be=b, boi=boy. Or terms like "hektic" and "korupt" which puts emphasis on the old "c" new "k", and when said in sentences amounts to pure hilarity. For eg. my friend works at VideoEzy (ezy is coo) and this guy comes in and goes, "hey bro u got big mommas house?" (which is truely one of the most terribly movies ever) and when my friend told him it in the humour section he replied merely with "hectic".

what really pisses me off is this vodaphone add where the song lyrics (which are scrolling at the bottom of the screen like the oldschool vegemite adds) and they replace "boy" with "by" but still sing boy. By is already a word u vaginas.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
I think record companies have to sort of give their products an image, something to define them

Thats true... but if record companies tried to force an image on her, she should just tell them to fuck off.
Theres nothing really that wrong with putting on an act and writing a throwaway single, getting your fame and millions of dollars if thats all you're about...but she claims to be some holier than though, groundbreaking musical prodigy, when really-she's doing the same things she's supposedly against.

Dan_the_man

Pop sucks

I have to say..... pop with a tie isn't punk..... not even blink 182 sold out pop punk
Best Punk= Frenzal Rhomb
Most alternative from pop vocalists= chick from ArchEnemy or My Ruin- now that's different

Avril Lavinge's marketers are marketing that being marketable is no longer good.. going back to old skool punk... when punk was when you couldn't play your instruments properly
Rebellion is now the cool thing to do.. nearly as cool as chicks wearing ties... anyone who went to Homebake should no what I'm talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)