AWD vs. 4WD vs. FWD vs. RWD (1 Viewer)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the application:

AWD for actual serious business, you can't beat it for controllability.

RWD for tail out lulz and for anything with a lot of power and a long wheelbase.

FWD has it's place in hot hatches, my best example would be that I actually prefer the Golf GTI to the Golf R as a car for the sheer chuckability.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Looked pretty dry to me.
Officially, the R35 can accelerate into 100 kph in around 2.8 seconds. That is comparable to production race cars such as the 787B, and other sports supercars such as the koenigsegg and some older models of the bugatti.

Asparagus, having four wheel traction is much better for drag than two wheel traction.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Officially, the R35 can accelerate into 100 kph in around 2.8 seconds. That is comparable to production race cars such as the 787B, and other sports supercars such as the koenigsegg and some older models of the bugatti.

Asparagus, having four wheel traction is much better for drag than two wheel traction.
fark traction, skid it.

RWD for fun.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
it doesnt matter that 4wd gives more traction, in a drag race you have to take off from the line slower in a 4wd car because you'll burn the clutch out
Not necessarily. You can adjust the gear ratios in most cars and the torque converter can be replaced. This can be done to most cars and thus the drag can be purely based on the engine, inertia, the traction and the gear timing, which isn't always an issue.

You might be under the misconception of all 4WD cars have a clutch problem, just because some Subaru's had that problem in the past.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've driven all four extensively- Terios was a crappy 4WD but my first car, Civic was my FWD on P's, Evo X AWD and now my C class is RWD. Agreed there is a bit of fun in plonking foot down and getting the tail to slide out a bit but I do miss the sure-footedness of AWD in all conditions. I remember rain or shine I would never hesitate to accelerate in the Evo :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You might be under the misconception of all 4WD cars have a clutch problem, just because some Subaru's had that problem in the past.
Subarus are AWD, not 4WD. They were also known for having relatively weak gearboxes in a lot of the older cars but that only really showed up in modified turbo cars AFAIK.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Subarus are AWD, not 4WD.
Yes I know. I only said that because I thought Asparagus may have been under a misconception. The title of the thread clearly defines them as different.

They were also known for having relatively weak gearboxes in a lot of the older cars but that only really showed up in modified turbo cars AFAIK.
It was mainly the 90's. I'm not sure whether it was the turbo's or not. I'll do some research on it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To revive the thread, which drivetrain do you prefer for the following:

- Burnouts

- Doughnuts

- Drifting

- General everyday driving

- Launches (The one you would prefer to slam the accelerator the whole way down from a standstill)

- Off-road

- Tarmac Racing

- Circuit

- Drag

- Rally racing

Anything else you can think of.

And of course, try to speak about any experiences you have had in any with different drivetrains and your opinions on each. And remember, stay safe and never do this unless you have a race course all to yourself.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
- Burnouts - RWD (or maybe AWD; AWD donuts ftw)
- Drifting - FWD (nothing beats maccas trays haha!) nah RWD for sure... (drifting is ghey)
- General Everyday - AWD
- Launches - AWD
- Off Road - AWD
- Tarmac Rally - AWD
- Rally - AWD
- Circuit - AWD
- Drags - AWD

everything: AWD...

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
- Burnouts - RWD (or maybe AWD; AWD donuts ftw)
- Drifting - FWD (nothing beats maccas trays haha!) nah RWD for sure... (drifting is ghey)
- General Everyday - AWD
- Launches - AWD
- Off Road - AWD
- Tarmac Rally - AWD
- Rally - AWD
- Circuit - AWD
- Drags - AWD

everything: AWD...
ily man.

I was actually expecting something else for Burnouts (FWD)

Gonna edit my post to include doughies and the extras you put in.

Was about to do a doughnut on a gravel road in AWD, but it was too small an area (maybe 250m^2) and its filled with cops, so not wise.

FWD drifting means you'll flip the car. Stupidest thing you can do.

Tarmac Rally wtf?

We should have a BoS trackday meet.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
IMO:

- Burnouts - RWD or FWD, rear wheel spin much cooler though.
- Drifting - RWD
- General Everyday - FWD for the masses, RWD for enthusiasts, AWD if you live in canada or something.
- Launches - Probably AWD for outright speed, but once again dat rear wheel spin...
- Off Road - 4WD no doubt about it.
- Tarmac Racing -Depends on driving style, not 4wd.
- Rally - AWD
- Circuit - Depends on driving style again
- Drags - Depends on driving style, scene for all kinds of drivetrain layouts

For all the ones where I said depends on driving style, RWD would probably be ideal.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
ily man.

I was actually expecting something else for Burnouts (FWD)

Gonna edit my post to include doughies and the extras you put in.

Was about to do a doughnut on a gravel road in AWD, but it was too small an area (maybe 250m^2) and its filled with cops, so not wise.

FWD drifting means you'll flip the car. Stupidest thing you can do.

Tarmac Rally wtf?

We should have a BoS trackday meet.
thought you meant Targa (Hillclimb) style events (didn't read it properly, I was wrecked)... but yeah, you get the drift about how I would probably answer the rest of them if you put anymore up... :haha:

BoS trackday would be mad... if I wasn't in Melbourne... :(

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
thought you meant Targa (Hillclimb) style events (didn't read it properly, I was wrecked)... but yeah, you get the drift about how I would probably answer the rest of them if you put anymore up... :haha:

BoS trackday would be mad... if I wasn't in Melbourne... :(
Oh lol.

Damn. Its hard to get trackday though. Too many cars.

I think the best thing is to find some desert in NSW (if there are any) that is flat and empty and make a nice little rally course just for us.

Definitely on my bucket list.

Btw, my bias is towards AWD because I have yet to drive a RWD ffs. And 4WD is similar, except with the extra options of changing the ratios of the torque to each tyre (which is beneficial over AWD in some cases).

But all FWD to me seem like nuggets. Literally. You can't launch, too much oversteer, etc.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
But all FWD to me seem like nuggets. Literally. You can't launch, too much oversteer, etc.
Performance oriented FWDs handle very well, haven't you seen reviews of any recent hot hatches? Suspension tuning has come a long way, some of the turbo fwd hot hatches supposedly have little/no torque steer too.

Also 4wd is NOT similar to AWD. Keep 4wd on a normal road scenario and you risk destroying the drivetrain, essentially relegating it to be fwd or rwd most the time. Most 4wd cars are also something you would never associate with performance (except for Dubai millionaire specials).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Performance oriented FWDs handle very well, haven't you seen reviews of any recent hot hatches? Suspension tuning has come a long way, some of the turbo fwd hot hatches supposedly have little/no torque steer too.

Also 4wd is NOT similar to AWD. Keep 4wd on a normal road scenario and you risk destroying the drivetrain, essentially relegating it to be fwd or rwd most the time. Most 4wd cars are also something you would never associate with performance (except for Dubai millionaire specials).
I've driven two hatches on a regular basis (maybe not hot since they don't have the turbo's or low suspension, but otherwise a little similar) and I just don't like them.

And thanks for reminding me of that. I completely forgot about the binding and how it can easily lead to a damaged drivetrain in normal road scenario.

Yeah makes sense why you wouldn't. The LSD only works for bad traction conditions. Other than that, if you use the 4WD on normal conditions I'm guessing the LSD will be destroyed.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Everything - AWD.

That being said I had a lot of fun in an RWD supercharged V8 recently... chirping tyres at the lights, leaving lots of smoke and then gunning past anyone and everyone.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Everything - AWD.

That being said I had a lot of fun in an RWD supercharged V8 recently... chirping tyres at the lights, leaving lots of smoke and then gunning past anyone and everyone.
Nice.

Yeah didn't you have a Merc?

I guess RWD has that element of fun practicality to them, especially when they have a lot of power.

What about something like:

FR vs. MR vs. RR ?

Thoughts on each everyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)