B Applied Finance/B Economics (1 Viewer)

manutd8

HSC
in yr 11/12 i only done general mathematics. simple question, is the maths involved difficult? i did a search beforehand on BOS, and couldnt find anything.

Appreciate it

williamc

HSC
Hey, i was originally doing this degree when i commenced study in 2008 at Macquarie University.

The math's whilst not being difficult, is well above general maths level (esp. as you progress through the degree). If you are serious about wanting to complete this degree, i recommend you take a bridging course during the summer to help aid you with MATH123, in which you will have to complete first semester. The bridging course will help prepare you for MATH123, in which you will learn about simple differentiation and integration.

Whilst you will only be doing some algebraic manipulation, and stuff like linear interpolation in your first year, calculus and so forth will be required in your economics units, esp. in 2nd year microeconomics.

As i said before, the math isn't hard per say, it's more about understanding the concepts and applying them. ROTE learning formula's does NOT work at university. You will need to understand the concepts and principles to be able to apply the math to the differing situations you will be posed with.

Good-luck nonetheless.

Monstar

HSC
the economics will have maths topics not covered within general course.. ie intergration and differentiation. from memory, the first level of micro covers this on a basic level whilst the 2nd level of micro will go further indepth with these concepts.

Finance, the maths initially elementary. This will cover mostly just simple additions, multiplications etc. however as you progress further on into your degree, many of the 3rd year finance subjects will include log functions and integration.

It shouldnt really matter much as they make you do a bridging course, ie math133 or some thing.. not sure. BUT i've heard this unit is harder then 2 unit adv was during high school.

EDIT: yeah bill at the top is right, its maths 123.

williamc

HSC
MATH 123:

Topics

Details are subject to change. Check back here from time to time.
Note in particular that there is only one Algebra lecture in week 4 and that will necessitate some jiggling of the schedule.

Algebra

Weeks 1 and 2: Basic algebra
Week 3: Inequalities and absolute values
Weeks 4 and 5: Indices, logarithms, and exponential functions
Week 6: Quadratic equations and inequalities
Week 7: Introduction to complex numbers
-------------- mid-semester break ------------------------------
Weeks 8 and 9: Arithmetic and geometric progressions with applications
Weeks 10 and 11: Counting techniques (permutations and combinations) and probability
Week 12: Introduction to matrices, application to linear equations
Week 13: Revision (time permitting)

Calculus

Weeks 1 and 2: Functions and graphs. Lines, slopes, and intercepts
Week 3: Introduction to differentiation
Week 4: Tangents and normals
Weeks 5 and 6: Maxima and minima. Second derivatives
Weeks 6 and 7: Derivatives of exponential and logarithmic functions
Week 8: Newton's method
Week 9: Antidifferentiation, substitution
Week 10: Definite integrals, areas
Week 11: Simple differential equations
Week 12: Numerical integration, Simpson's Rule

Basically the 2 unit course in 12 weeks. Will be tough straight off the bat, which is why i recommend you do that 3 week bridging course during january/feb to get you ready for the work.

Monstar

HSC
MATH 123:

Topics

Details are subject to change. Check back here from time to time.
Note in particular that there is only one Algebra lecture in week 4 and that will necessitate some jiggling of the schedule.

Algebra

Weeks 1 and 2: Basic algebra
Week 3: Inequalities and absolute values
Weeks 4 and 5: Indices, logarithms, and exponential functions
Week 6: Quadratic equations and inequalities
Week 7: Introduction to complex numbers
Weeks 8 and 9: Arithmetic and geometric progressions with applications
Weeks 10 and 11: Counting techniques (permutations and combinations) and probability
Week 12: Introduction to matrices, application to linear equations
Week 13: Revision (time permitting)

Calculus

Weeks 1 and 2: Functions and graphs. Lines, slopes, and intercepts
Week 3: Introduction to differentiation
Week 4: Tangents and normals
Weeks 5 and 6: Maxima and minima. Second derivatives
Weeks 6 and 7: Derivatives of exponential and logarithmic functions
Week 8: Newton's method
Week 9: Antidifferentiation, substitution
Week 10: Definite integrals, areas
Week 11: Simple differential equations
Week 12: Numerical integration, Simpson's Rule

Basically the 2 unit course in 12 weeks. Will be tough straight off the bat, which is why i recommend you do that 3 week bridging course during january/feb to get you ready for the work.

Uni maths sounds so fucked up and condensed...

williamc

HSC
yeah lol considering MATH123 is the easiest math course offered at mq. (apparently)

how the fuck are you meant to do that if you didn't even do maths in high school or did general lol. would be so hard to keep up

manutd8

HSC
Hey, i was originally doing this degree when i commenced study in 2008 at Macquarie University.

The math's whilst not being difficult, is well above general maths level (esp. as you progress through the degree). If you are serious about wanting to complete this degree, i recommend you take a bridging course during the summer to help aid you with MATH123, in which you will have to complete first semester. The bridging course will help prepare you for MATH123, in which you will learn about simple differentiation and integration.

Whilst you will only be doing some algebraic manipulation, and stuff like linear interpolation in your first year, calculus and so forth will be required in your economics units, esp. in 2nd year microeconomics.

As i said before, the math isn't hard per say, it's more about understanding the concepts and applying them. ROTE learning formula's does NOT work at university. You will need to understand the concepts and principles to be able to apply the math to the differing situations you will be posed with.

Good-luck nonetheless.
the economics will have maths topics not covered within general course.. ie intergration and differentiation. from memory, the first level of micro covers this on a basic level whilst the 2nd level of micro will go further indepth with these concepts.

Finance, the maths initially elementary. This will cover mostly just simple additions, multiplications etc. however as you progress further on into your degree, many of the 3rd year finance subjects will include log functions and integration.

It shouldnt really matter much as they make you do a bridging course, ie math133 or some thing.. not sure. BUT i've heard this unit is harder then 2 unit adv was during high school.

EDIT: yeah bill at the top is right, its maths 123.
thanks guys, + rep :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)