B Arts (advanced) (honours) (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
Few questions regarding this course:

1. Can you transfer into Law after 1st year?
2. How many majors/minors can you do?'
3. What is the difference between doing an Economics Major in this course vs B Economics?

Thanks

izzy88

HSC
1. Pretty sure you can't transfer to ba(advanced)/law. It wouldnt work at all with the structure of BA advanced (because you wouldt have enough years left - you dont do law subjects in an honours year. You would also unlikely to have enough subjects within the structure of the degree to do it. You could probably transfer to a normal BA/Law of you wanted to - would be best to chel with usyd arts and law faculties. Saying that - doing a BA advanced + JD is the same length of time as a BA (Honours)/LLB combined.

2. USYD doesn't have minors. Only majors. From
The website, it seems there is room to do two
Majors in a BA advanced (a major is about 6 senior subjects in the same area - you do 8 subjects a year).

3. Sorry I'm not sure about economics.

As a side note, I considered the BA advanced but found it too restricting for what I wanted to do. Personally I think first year Uni is amazing - and undertaking first year subjects in a broad range of areas can give you both opportunity to check subject areas out oaks experience of how Uni works. In BA advanced you go into second year - and Uni can be quite different from school. Some people
Manage it really well, others not so much. It can be good if you know exactly what you want to do, not so great if you aren't sure/want to try different areas.

zxreth

HSC
1. why would you want to transfer to law after 1st year in the first place? you seem to have the required atar to get into law straight away..

neontiger

HSC
To elaborate on the answer to question 1: you also have to make up junior units when you transfer to the BA/LLB because you're then just doing a standard LLB, and your major will require the completion of a certain number of junior subjects, unlike advanced arts.

Also, as you go straight into senior units, your subjects will be harder and more difficult to do well in. To give yourself the best chance of transferring, you may be better off just doing a BA.

Re: economics. I believe it's no different, as advanced arts doesn't allow you to immediately go into senior economics units. I could be wrong there though.

ACKAA

HSC
Is it possible to get into this course if u have an atar of 95.9?

randumm

HSC
How does the timetable look for this degree, first year?

zxreth

HSC
How does the timetable look for this degree, first year?
Friend of mine did this, first sem he had I think 4 days and second sem was 3 days. The days were pretty empty as well afaik.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Few questions regarding this course:

1. Can you transfer into Law after 1st year?
2. How many majors/minors can you do?'
3. What is the difference between doing an Economics Major in this course vs B Economics?

Thanks
This is a question that is asked purely of interest not, with your ATAR how come you did not pursue straight undergrad/undergrad comb law at any other uni if you are really interested in law?

WIth a good WAM, I've known someone to do a similar transfer as you at UNSW, but they had to go to straight arts/law. Not sure how it works at USYD.

sinawi

HSC
Because you accelerate right into a second year of study in advanced honours and can't combine it with anything while doing 2 majors, you won't (correct me if I'm wrong) be able to transfer into law. Both degree structures clash so much.

funstudy

HSC
At the Info Day, the professor for Arts (Advanced) (Honours) said that because the course is accelerated, chances are you won't get as high marks as in another course.
Therefore if you're looking to transfer, do something else, get high marks to transfer.

sub-zer0

HSC
I did arts (advanced) first year and then transferred into arts/law. In order to get your arts degree the faculty resolutions do not require you to have completed any junior units - the junior units are only there as pre-requisites to get into senior units. So because you have done senior units in your first year, so long as you do the same subject areas in your arts/law degree, you don't need to do any junior arts units at all. This was confirmed at enrollment.

Meshy590

HSC
This is a question that is asked purely of interest not, with your ATAR how come you did not pursue straight undergrad/undergrad comb law at any other uni if you are really interested in law?

WIth a good WAM, I've known someone to do a similar transfer as you at UNSW, but they had to go to straight arts/law. Not sure how it works at USYD.
only want to go to UNSW/USyd for law

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You didn't get to Law at UNSW, at least? I know someone that got ~96 and got into Law (with some sort of bonus, probably).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You didn't get to Law at UNSW, at least? I know someone that got ~96 and got into Law (with some sort of bonus, probably).
They would've had the AAA, I think OP got 99.60 and went to a competitive school where the AAA probs went to someone that got 99.95.

Meshy590

HSC
yea i didn't get into unsw law either.
And for some reason, the person who got AAA was no where even close to Dux...(mid 90s ATAR). i don't know what happened there....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)