B. Arts - Degree Structure Help (1 Viewer)

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

Did some editing and got it exactly how I wanted it. Hooray for Friday off and Wednesday being awesome (no travel time cause I live here).

So quick question:

If I am about to fail a junior unit of study (Japanese) in my first year of my BA. Can I continue on without having to pick up an extra unit somewhere? Particularly since I am hoping to major in English and Psychology and a junior language unit isn't a prerequisite.

But I am wondering if there is some guideline that specifies I need to have done 48 jnr credit units? Am I good if I just do 42 jnr units?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Semester 2 Timetables, 2012

izzy88

HSC

If I am about to fail a junior unit of study (Japanese) in my first year of my BA. Can I continue on without having to pick up an extra unit somewhere? Particularly since I am hoping to major in English and Psychology and a junior language unit isn't a prerequisite.

But I am wondering if there is some guideline that specifies I need to have done 48 jnr credit units? Am I good if I just do 42 jnr units?
As per OzKo's post, you won't have to do another junior unit (because the degree just has a maximum of 48), however to my knowledge by failing that means you will be down a subject in general (ie. you will only have completed 138 credit points at end of degree), so you will have to catch up an arts subject somewhere before the degree finishes. It doesn't really matter what that subject is (eg. junior/senior). You could either do it in summer or winter school or overload a semester.

To my knowledge, there is no leeway on the 144 credit point requirement.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
As per OzKo's post, you won't have to do another junior unit (because the degree just has a maximum of 48), however to my knowledge by failing that means you will be down a subject in general (ie. you will only have completed 138 credit points at end of degree), so you will have to catch up an arts subject somewhere before the degree finishes. It doesn't really matter what that subject is (eg. junior/senior). You could either do it in summer or winter school or overload a semester.

This.

I suggest overloading a junior subject you've heard is easy and you'd be good at.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

How about if I am shooting for a double major? Wouldn't that mean I would be well over 144 units in the end? So would it matter that 48 weren't junior units, only 42?

Thanks for the responses btw.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

How about if I am shooting for a double major? Wouldn't that mean I would be well over 144 units in the end? So would it matter that 48 weren't junior units, only 42?

Thanks for the responses btw.
A major is usually composed of 48cp. A double major would bring that up 96cp. What majors are you doing?

You must do at least 144cp and those cp requirements must adhere to what I posted in the earlier post.

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

A major is usually composed of 48cp. A double major would bring that up 96cp. What majors are you doing?

You must do at least 144cp and those cp requirements must adhere to what I posted in the earlier post.
Thanks for moving this, I was kinda hijacking back there.

I plan on doing a double major in English and Psychology on a Bachelor of Arts.

So if I understand it correctly... I "could" do it in 3 years if next year I did 24 units of English and 24 units of Psychology, then again in 3rd year.

But only if I don't fail my Japanese unit bringing me up to 48 for this year.

Or I can extend it over 4 years, in which case It wouldn't matter if I missed the junior 6 cr.

Right? :p

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't you already done some first year units for your majors?

If you fail your JPNS unit, you will need to either overload or do a unit during Summer School.

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Haven't you already done some first year units for your majors?

If you fail your JPNS unit, you will need to either overload or do a unit during Summer School.
I've done some junior units towards my majors yes.

Just so I am clear. If I plan on doing this double major over 4 years and I end up doing say 48 senior unit credits for Psychology + plus my 12 junior psych units, 60 senior unit credits for English + 18 junior English units, and 12 junior units of philosphy. Thats 150cp. So again I ask, where does a fail in a junior unit require making up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)