B bus (property)-UWS VS Property economics-UTS (1 Viewer)

lind27

HSC
Hey, I have no idea which one to choose. Anyone done any of these courses or want to do them. Is it better doing broad course or a very specific course. Whats going on with Blacktown campus and is it a any good.

Any info would be appreciated

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lind27 said:
Hey, I have no idea which one to choose. Anyone done any of these courses or want to do them. Is it better doing broad course or a very specific course. Whats going on with Blacktown campus and is it a any good.

I'd choose the course that is closer to home. Blacktown campus is closing, as it is a huge financial burden to the university.

It really depends on what you want to do. Courses at UWS tend generalised apart from your major. TBH I would do the course at UTS due to it's better reputation and being in the city, etc.

Lara1986

HSC
lind27 said:

As Wooz said - blacktown campus is closing.

So - if transport or travel time is an issue don't base it on blacktown - if you end up at Parramatta it's not too bad to get there if you can get a train on the western line cause then it's just a bus from the station, or a 20 minute walk if you're feeling energetic :p

As far as doing a 'broad' vs a 'specific' course - if you aren't entirely sure about what you want to do, broad is better as it gives you more options afterwards.

Don't forget also that UWS you don't have to choose your major if you do a Business degree straight away anymore as all business degrees have common first year units now so you can get a few units under your belt and see what you're good at/interested in and then decide.

Not sure about UTS but they may or may not have a similar approach so you should look into that.

Also - yes reputation can be really important but if you don't plan on going into a career where that reputation actually matters you shouldn't let it become a be all and end all of your decision. Eg - as a law student, if i had wanted to become a top tier commercial lawyer i definitely would not have gone to UWS. But as i didn't, the rep issue wasn't really a consideration because it won't effect my job prospects sufficiently to outweight the other benefits UWS had for me.

If you haven't already, you can try contacting the respective course coordinators and ask them for further details about the course itself and what careers some graduates have gone into, if you can't speak to graduates that is.

Last edited:

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey Lind,
There is a great website you might like to check out for the business options at UWS >> http://www.businessbrain.com.au/
As Lara mentioned, the first year of the BBC is common, so it gives you some time to decide your direction.

The Blackrown campus wont close until mid 2009 and you will get the opportunity to transfer to the Parramatta Campus. If you were interested in the Bachelor of Buisness and Commerce (Property) you can also study this via distance which may make it more convenient for you.

The property key program is accredited by the Office of Fair Trading and also satisfies the educational requirments for registration as a valuer. So your UWS qualification will be just as highly regarded.
Hope this helps :)

HeadOfProgram

HSC
N/A
Which is best? It's always difficult to answer those questions. It will never be a clear cut answer.

Both are extremely good multi disciplinary degrees with a property focus.

Don't judge by UAI score or "name" of the University. UAI is only a measure of supply and demand. Supply is based on number of places offered. Demand is a based location and "name" of university.

My recommendation would be to ask people in the type of career that you aspire to for an opinion.

Speak to valuers.
Speak to members of the Australian Property Institute. (AAPIs or FAPIs)
Speak to major employers of property graduates.
Ask relatives and friends in the property industry.

See what they say. Their opinions are probably the best guide; they are in the profession that you are hoping to get into. They will have views as to which course is better and will give independent advice.

A few points of comparion.

UWS Bachelor Of Business & Commerce (Property) is offered out of the Faculty of Commerce, School of Economics and Finance. From its university structural location you can see the emphasis.

UTS Bachelor of Property Economics is in the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building, School of The Built Environment. Again, from its university structural location you can see the emphasis.

Both degrees are fully recognised by the Australian Property Institute the premier professional body for the property profession. Both degrees qualify students for eventual status as Certified Practising Valuer.

UWS degree carries full recognition for NSW Valuers' Registration. UTS graduates wanting NSW Valuers' Registration have in the past had problems because they do not study Rural Valuation at any time. But it is not too difficult to address that problem; you can easily take the Rural Valuation unit at UWS.

UWS is a 3 year degree and has the advantage of having an External mode that can be studied over 4 years or 6 years. The External Mode facilitates more flexibilty because students can use External versions of all units to suit personal requirements and to catch up on units dropped or failed..

UTS is described as 3 1/2 years but that is a measure of full time load not time to complete It is effectively a 4 year degree because it has 3 years plus two semesters with two units. Students obtain work experience parallel to the study of those last two semesters.

UTS have a far lower intake of students than UWS (currently 100+ full time and 60+ external). This and the City location of UTS accounts to some extent for the difference in UAI . UTS is usually in the low 80's and UWS is usually in the 60 - 65 band.

The UWS course is currently offered at the Blacktown Campus but there is a move to Parramatta Campus programmed for Spring Semester 2009 and onwards.

UTS has recognition of various international property organisations such as the RICS (UK) and the Singapore Institute of Valuers. UWS students gain those and other qualifications through articulation agreements between the API and other international property institutions. Several students studying UWS courses have moved to the UK and via API articulation have obtained the ARICS designation. Students could similarly obtain ARICS and similar designation by moving other countries and using the same API articulation process.

HeadOfProgram

HSC
N/A
Lara's advice can be misundersood.

The BBC has a common core for all key programs of which Property is one. You need not select your key program until the end of the first year.

The BBC structure allows for one elective in each of the two semesters of the first year.

However, if you want, or may want, to do the Property key program, you are advised to select Introduction to Property in first semester and Principles of Valuation in the second semester.

After doing those two electives, you can decide that Property is not for you and choose a different key program.

If you don't select those first year property units and study other elective units, you will hit problems when you select Property as the key program at the end of the first year. The "later" property units build on the two first year property electives. There are no pre-requisites in the program but knowledge of the earlier units of the property "chain" is assumed.

Students not studying first year property electives will have a difficult program to complete in 3 years. Not selecting those two first year electives also restricts you in later elective choices because you will probably want to meet the needs of API Certified Practising Valuer accreditation and Valuers' Registration.

Advice if you may want to study the Property key program, is very firm. Select the two property electives in the first year. After doing those two electives, you can decide that Property is not for you, and choose a different key program.

-juLie-

meep
HSC
The cut off UAI's for UWS are nearly always alot lower than those required for other uni's.

MJ-47

HSC
A m8 of mine went to uts to do this course. a couple yrs back...and he loved it..he said that the travel time was well worth it in the end..so thats his two cents.....in my opinion tho from what ive heard, ppl shouldn't make the decision of wht uni they enroll in purely based on the time it takes to travel there..

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Does any one know why UTS cut-off is 86 vs UWS at 60? BIG DIFFERENCE
Like HeadOfProgram said earlier, it's a case of supply and demand. There are far less places at UTS for Property Economics, which drives the UAI cutoff up because they'd take those with a higher UAI first and the cutoff would be the lowest UAI that was accepted in the previous year.

If a degree had more places then more students would be accepted into the course, which theoretically would push the UAI down, unless demand for the course was still high enough to exceed the supply of places.

As mentioned earlier, UAI's are not a measure of how "good" a degree may be, but rather how many students want to get into it.

lind27

HSC
well lol if any cares im at Maq now doing Business admin, which is quite average. I dropped psychology after 2 weeks coz it was the most boringest thing ive done in my life. Ill be transfering to UWS parra mid year so hopefully all the programs esp property will have moved from Blacktown.

It doesn't matter which uni it is, do the course ur most interested in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)