• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

B Chiropractic Science (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

I think chiro is probably the most underrated and over paid-out professions.

As a kid I got huge migranes, really bad. So I went to a chiro and after 2 weeks I stopped getting them. I find studying is easier because your back and neck are looser, but I don't really think it helps with learning (as they say)- but I think you'd really have to believe in chiro full-heartedly to do it.

The chiros I've been to are generally ten times better when they're outgoing, fun people.

Remember, though, that a BChiro doesn't let you practice, you need an MChiro or an equivalent. Many chiros don't even have a BChiro, but those who do are probably better at it.

My friend who's third year Chiro says that there's a lot of science compared to actual Practical Chiro stuff, which is fine if you're into it, as well as the fact (like someone said above) that you need to take part in cadavers; which I think is cool. I've seen open heart surgery and autopsies, just out of curiosity, and I find it damn interesting.

I think you could easily make a tonne of money from it, especially if you owned a practice.

roger321

HSC
N/A
heh you start learning to do adjustments in 2nd year.. although its only the peripherals its still quite the hard work... 3rd year is the back and neck i think... the level of fitness needed in 2nd year is like 10 times what you needed in 1st year.. i never knew a friggen leg could weigh so much.

theres not really a specific personality to become a chiropractor, that what makes it such a cool profession to be in. you have so many different people using many diff techniques so im sure you can find a style to suit your own ideals/goals...

heeh i actually find anatomy at usyd to be one of the more intersting subjects (probably 2nd coming after chiro). you get used to the corpses after you get over the fact that most of the parts look like shite that you get on your dinner plate.

bubble_tea

i heard that its just massage that you learn in Bchirosc.. and adjustments in masters..

X

xeuyrawp

mz_bubbletea said:
i heard that its just massage that you learn in Bchirosc.. and adjustments in masters..
Lol, that would suck, makes sense though. The adjustments on the neck look complex.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wats the scientific basis of adjustment?
im too critical of chiro to either use it or recommend it ..

i kno wat it is for physiotherapy

cos isnt chiro still complementary med? just wondering :) plz enlighten me

//edit: "Treatment by a chiropractor (Smith et al., 2003) has been described as a risk factor for developing vertebral artery dissection"

- Smith WS, Johnston SC, Skalabrin EJ et al. (2003). Spinal manipulative therapy is an independent risk factor for vertebral artery dissection. Neurology 60: 1424-1428.

if u wonder why im a lil critical.. but these are not common at all so im trying to figure if risk outweighs benefits.. in low risk patients

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
wats the scientific basis of adjustment?
im too critical of chiro to either use it or recommend it ..

i kno wat it is for physiotherapy

cos isnt chiro still complementary med? just wondering :) plz enlighten me
Edit: I just realised you did med, so I'll delete my patronising post.

All I know is my headaches start again when I stop going there for longer than a month.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
damn.. tat would hav been fun :p

well from personal experiences of friends some have had back pain.. and the chiro has helped but lik u it required constantly goin back.. and in other cases it hasnt... i read that chiropractors have very good scientific basis.. but honestly? i cant find it.. mabbe im lookin the wrong places.. im not startin a fight.. I realli am genuinely interested cos medicine ... as a lecturer of mine sed... hav the worse track record for treating back pain

and id prefer to neglect all US based chiro sites or med sites about chiro cos Chiropratic assoc of US and the AMA(US) are just in a turf war... =D

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
damn.. tat would hav been fun :p

well from personal experiences of friends some have had back pain.. and the chiro has helped but lik u it required constantly goin back.. and in other cases it hasnt... i read that chiropractors have very good scientific basis.. but honestly? i cant find it.. mabbe im lookin the wrong places.. im not startin a fight.. I realli am genuinely interested cos medicine ... as a lecturer of mine sed... hav the worse track record for treating back pain

and id prefer to neglect all US based chiro sites or med sites about chiro cos Chiropratic assoc of US and the AMA(US) are just in a turf war... =D
Hmm, I find it difficult to go to something that I don't understand, as well.

Unfortunately, I think the only explanation is "signals go up and down the spine, and chiro help the spine stay in good shape"... Is that as stupid as it sounds?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kinda.. but im not goin to hold it against u.. :)

its just justifyin.. the cost and the treatment
i think its worse because ppl hav asked me before.. and i sound lik such a tool not knowing... im hoping one of the chiro students can convince me of its worth..

altho.. their pay sounds pretty decent too compared to mine.... =D

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
kinda.. but im not goin to hold it against u.. :)

its just justifyin.. the cost and the treatment
i think its worse because ppl hav asked me before.. and i sound lik such a tool not knowing... im hoping one of the chiro students can convince me of its worth..

altho.. their pay sounds pretty decent too compared to mine.... =D
Another point, which I think was raised (I'll shuttup after this :p) is that it doesn't use drugs at all.

After being on a tonne of meds during latter year 11 and all of year 12, a lot of doctors seem to not fully understand the impact of constant medication.

bubble_tea

your body is able to adapt to any misalignment (or nerve interference) until it reaches a point where the pain is unbearable that you then seek chiropractic treatment.

how frequent you require an adjustment depends on the seriousness of your condition. a visit to the chiropractor corrects the alignment of your spine, that could be misaligned due to your environment (posture, work - heavy lifting) that requires you to have your spine frequently readjusted..

roger321

HSC
N/A
hmm i think you heard that from one of the interns in the clinic right?
cause if so they changed the course a few times...
before they used to leach STW in 1st year, but now they changed it to motion palp of the spine, and i cant see STW course anywhere in the handbook so that sucks =(

(oh they did have a one tut on STW but that was like ultra basic)

@pointdexter
hey at least you are trying to find out,.... i think my old GP doesnt like me anymore cause im studying chiro lol ;p watcha mean by "complimentary med" btw? o_0
also the risk of a stroke as a result of adjustments is like 1 in a million and i think only happens during cervical neck adjustments. and you probably know the vertebral artery are in their most weakest state during extension and rotation (i hope i remembered that right) so most chiro techniques try and eliminate that factor. on another note, medical insurance for GP is higher than those for chiro so i guess you can say its pretty safe... (sort of ;p)

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
the risk of a stroke as a result of adjustments is like 1 in a million and i think only happens during cervical neck adjustments. and you probably know the vertebral artery are in their most weakest state during extension and rotation (i hope i remembered that right) so most chiro techniques try and eliminate that factor.
Jesus. I didn't want to hear that.

roger321

HSC
N/A
hahah one in a million is a conservative figure... it ranges quite a bit depending on which studies you read....
didnt your chiro mention it?

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
hahah one in a million is a conservative figure... it ranges quite a bit depending on which studies you read....
didnt your chiro mention it?
No, which I'm not happy about. By law, all professionals who conduct a service, provide a product, or do any activity what so ever should either ensure that 1. there is no forseeable risk whatsoever, however small or 2. warn anyone in danger of the risks.

Not happy jan.

bubble_tea

roger321 said:
hmm i think you heard that from one of the interns in the clinic right?
cause if so they changed the course a few times...
before they used to leach STW in 1st year, but now they changed it to motion palp of the spine, and i cant see STW course anywhere in the handbook so that sucks =(

(oh they did have a one tut on STW but that was like ultra basic)
yay for adjustments! :p makes chiro seem much more interesting

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmmm ..
1) I understand body repair processes
2) I understand nerve entrapment
3) Realise medical practitioners use to much drugs/medication and back pain is often misdiagnosed
4) Surgury can be too dangerous in certain ppl and things lik spinal stenosis are not alwasy the culprit

but wat if there is an underlying pathology(disease)?
(e.g. tumour effecting nerve transmission hence stimulating pain.., dissecting abdominal aneurysm )
how do chiropractors differentiate them from common back pain if the person comes off the street?
... im a lil skeptical when some chiros claim treatment (non- back pain related) for insomnia, etc
how would spinal manipulation fix PwarYuex's headache? like why?
lik wat is the technicals? im not stupid feel free to post links.. i want to kno

if (as they claim) its a science..
i hope one day ill find out answers to these questions! =)

yes our insurance is high but in medicine ppl come to us on the verge of dying.. its high risk
we give them chemicals.. tat we research them thoroughly but still hav associated risk.. and we are the primary health provider....
our procedures are quite invasive if u have ever been to hospital too .. see if chiros were using syringes and doing procedures with alot of blood and bodily fluids ud expect the same
insurance.. and ppl hav different expectations of medics.. compared to chiros..

we dun perform.. ppl tend to die.. heres a trick.. person with mild persistant asthma has an 'attack' wat would a chiro do?.. its a matter of my career is high risk.. not tat we more mistakes.. its just if we do ..they count..

actualli the risk factor for vertebral artery dissection
SMT within 30 days is about 3 times (3%=>14%) relative to the control in one study..
but realise its 2.6/100,000 lifetime risk (US data, common in 35-40 yr olds)).. add female... add smoking + drinking and ure risk increases.. it DOES NOT CAUSE IT.. it increases ure chance of one .. compared to if u didnt hav tat risk factor..

like eating burnt food wont give u cancer but if u do it enough times its likely

roger321

HSC
N/A
mz_bubbletea said:
yay for adjustments! :p makes chiro seem much more interesting
hahah yeh 2nd year is soo much more interesting.... although i still wished that they had taught us some STW in 1st year so i could try and find a job as an assistant...

pwaryuex said:
Not happy jan.
yeh i can see what you mean. the chiro i went to didnt discuss any risks with me either. i think they probably assessed us as put us into a "low risk" category. but then again thats really no excuse. i reckon that extra minute is worth it considering how much we can get sued for.

roger321

HSC
N/A
fark.. is bos lagging likea shitehouse for anyone else? i finish writing up my post and it gets fucked =((

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
hmmmm ..

but wat if there is an underlying pathology(disease)?
(e.g. tumour effecting nerve transmission hence stimulating pain.., dissecting abdominal aneurysm )
how do chiropractors differentiate them from common back pain if the person comes off the street?
well chiro have to learn pathology as well, so its not like we just go "yup standard neck pain" *adjust**collect $$$$* im sure if someone who came in and had symptoms that were abnormal for a lower back/neck condition, he/she would send them to get the appropiate checkups and tests. it would also help if some GP's would cooperate with us so that these diagnosising mistakes wouldnt occur.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
we dun perform.. ppl tend to die.. heres a trick.. person with mild persistant asthma has an 'attack' wat would a chiro do?..
honestly right now i wouldnt have a friggen clue of what to do in that situation. first aid maybe? hopefully we are taught how to handle such a situation

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
we give them chemicals.. tat we research them thoroughly but still hav associated risk.. and we are the primary health provider....
chiros are also a primary health provider.. o_0 although a younger profession than medicine our techniques are also being thoroughly researched...
(ill try to get you access to a chiro journal but might take awhile due to exams)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actualli the risk factor for vertebral artery dissection
SMT within 30 days is about 3 times (3%=>14%) relative to the control in one study..
but realise its 2.6/100,000 lifetime risk (US data, common in 35-40 yr olds)).. add female... add smoking + drinking and ure risk increases.. it DOES NOT CAUSE IT.. it increases ure chance of one .. compared to if u didnt hav tat risk factor..
okay sorry about that, i thought u meant the risk associated directly after an adjustment.

btw i never claimed that medics make more mistakes. i just stated that meds have a higher insurance rate because that their is a high risk involved. however, it just so happens that more ppl are scared of going to the chiro more than going to a hospital.

sorry, i intially had a more detailed post but after rewriting twice i seriously cbf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)