B Chiropractic Science (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

rockstar01 said:
whats the difference between a chiropractor and physiotherapist
chiro focuses on the nervous system -> manipulates the spine and other limbs.

physio generally focus on muscles -> get you doing stretching and excercises. Also they use those electrode-things that stick on and flex your muscles:)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
roger321 said:
ouch... anal penetration o_0
If you do it propely it is not anal penetration.. its more like.. anal-wall touching..

roger321 said:
err i guess we learn how to do breast exam in case a patient comes in and says:
"hey i think there is a lump growing in my breast.. wtf is going on? pls help!" we would know how to diagnose it... (or something or othjer... sorry if not making too much sense... biomechanics is on my mind o_0)

EDIT: you're prolly gonna say well thats a GP's job... but the patients obviously trust the chiro to discuss such a vulnerable situation with em and it'll be quite cold and dismissing to tell em go away and see their gp (who they may or may not have such a faithful relationship with).
Does that mean a vet can do breast examination as well ? I mean we know how to diagnose a myriad of diseases, why not breast cancer in humans ?
PwarYuex said:

physio generally focus on muscles -> get you doing stretching and excercises. Also they use those electrode-things that stick on and flex your muscles:)
also physio do alot of rehab work for those who've had accidents/recovering from operations. They also do hydrotherapy as well :)

I thought chiros only associate with the spine, while physios have everything else (limbs, muscles, tendons etc)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
PwarYuex said:

by definition..
im not trying to kick up a stir

physio is conventional medicine.. like we refer patients to them for rehab
chiro is techinically pushing alternative medicine.. but its a blurred line..

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topics/Complementary_and_Alternative_Therapies

i kno the difference between a medical practitioner and a dentist :D

roger321

HSC
N/A
imho there is very little distinction between a chiro and a physio nowadays... before it used to be chiro's adjustment versus physio rehabitation...
but now u get physio who can adjust the spine (although through different intentions/reasons), chiro who use alot of machines and rehab with stretches and exercises.. i even know a chiro who incorporates acupuncture into her treatment plan. so yeah the line between physio and chiro is heaps blurred now...

when ppl ask me why i chose to do chiro over physio even though i had the marks for physio:
chiro to me seems alot more intersting as i was pretty interesting in the mechanism of adjustments (cos i can pretty much, or used to anyway be able to crack nearly all of my joints...)...
also i didnt wanna be stuck doing awhole days worth of STW ;p

maniche

HSC
hey people,
umm.. i just read a post from "mz bubbletea" saying that chiropractors in thier own practice can earn up to "200k". now having an interest in this proffession (a strong interest) i researched and read figures much lower of say 80k--(this is for people in their own practice too), this is a concern because although money is not the main source of motivation it is undeniably a main issue, i have to admit that i would be lying if i said it was not. unable to contact approprate sources to stasify my enquiries i have posted this up asking for your help/advice in regards to this matter.

thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

maniche said:
hey people,
umm.. i just read a post from "mz bubbletea" saying that chiropractors in thier own practice can earn up to "200k". now having an interest in this proffession (a strong interest) i researched and read figures much lower of say 80k--(this is for people in their own practice too), this is a concern because although money is not the main source of motivation it is undeniably a main issue, i have to admit that i would be lying if i said it was not. unable to contact approprate sources to stasify my enquiries i have posted this up asking for your help/advice in regards to this matter.

thanks.
For something like Chiro, I would say there's a lot of money in it, if you treat some aspects of it like a business. Face it, it needs marketing, it needs good accounting, etc.

If you treat it as such, I think you could get a bucketload of money.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
maniche said:
hey people,

thanks.
operative word "can"

maniche

HSC
Thanks, i never thought about the whole marketing/accounting aspect to it, i guess in any profession thats the case. anyway thansk for the advice, its much appreciated.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
so many chiro students in each yr compared to the amount of chiropracters i see

is it true to assume that there a lot of student that dont do the masters?? what do they end up doing

X

xeuyrawp

:: ryan.cck :: said:

is it true to assume that there a lot of student that dont do the masters?? what do they end up doing
Remember that Macquarie's the only place to do it in NSW.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
:: ryan.cck :: said:

There are international students who do the degree in Australia as its not available overseas in certain countries. They promote students to come to Macquarie to do the course and they return with a degree. Other students work in rural areas. There is no point if ou DO NOT do the masters.

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
There are international students who do the degree in Australia as its not available overseas in certain countries. They promote students to come to Macquarie to do the course and they return with a degree. Other students work in rural areas. There is no point if ou DO NOT do the masters.
I've heard from a few different chiros that the undergrad degree is pretty useless as a practical tool. They all prefer people who did some other form of science or med science and did the masters postgraduately.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I've heard from a few different chiros that the undergrad degree is pretty useless as a practical tool. They all prefer people who did some other form of science or med science and did the masters postgraduately.
The undergrad Chiro course is the same as:

BLG09 - Human Biology - Anatomy and Physiology (BScience)

I don't see why they would prefer BScience or MedScience students because they would have to be doing the same subjects. But it is useless on its own.

bubble_tea

PwarYuex said:
Its required by law that legal chiropractors should have tertiary education based on science. it does seem like pretty useless stuff, but many 5th yr students say that its just there for u to recognise something is related to this particular field of science..

physics relates to radiology, reading and preparing x-rays.. chem and bio sorta relate to the body.. anatomy plays a pretty big part in becoming a chiropractor - knowing your bones, muscles, tissues and ligaments.. ^^

hahaha, im always the one at uni that complains about how useless the stuff we're learnin is..

X

xeuyrawp

mz_bubbletea said:
Its required by law that legal chiropractors should have tertiary education based on science.
That's really only a half-truth, as in Chiros don't need any bachelor's degree if they have the masters.

I was referring to the undergrad degree being useless for practitioners, which I hear it is, because apparently only doing the masters has practical applications. The undergrad, I hear, only has theoretical science stuff which really isn't all relevant to being a good chiro.

sillychikki

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's really only a half-truth, as in Chiros don't need any bachelor's degree if they have the masters.

I was referring to the undergrad degree being useless for practitioners, which I hear it is, because apparently only doing the masters has practical applications. The undergrad, I hear, only has theoretical science stuff which really isn't all relevant to being a good chiro.
The undergrad also has some chiro subjects that teach the adjustments, only they build up to the full repertoire that chiros need, and we aren't expected to do them with as high a velocity (our adjustments being high velocity, low amplitude) as we are when we reach clinic. We learn all the foundations that we need for the masters though, not only the practical side but the theoretical side too.

It's true that there are a lot of irrelevant science subjects that we have to do, however most of them enable us to understand how the body works even if we don't really use them later on. And seeing as you can't do the masters degree without doing the chiro subjects in the undergrad, it is useful for something. The people that enter from med science etc have to catch up on a lot of the chiro specific subjects, so you effectively lengthen your studying by a year if you do it that way.

X

xeuyrawp

sillychikki said:
The undergrad also has some chiro subjects that teach the adjustments, only they build up to the full repertoire that chiros need, and we aren't expected to do them with as high a velocity (our adjustments being high velocity, low amplitude) as we are when we reach clinic. We learn all the foundations that we need for the masters though, not only the practical side but the theoretical side too.

It's true that there are a lot of irrelevant science subjects that we have to do, however most of them enable us to understand how the body works even if we don't really use them later on. And seeing as you can't do the masters degree without doing the chiro subjects in the undergrad, it is useful for something. The people that enter from med science etc have to catch up on a lot of the chiro specific subjects, so you effectively lengthen your studying by a year if you do it that way.
Yeah, that's true. I suppose it's good to have a science base if you're a chiropractor.

BoREd^7

HSC
N/A
I can not belive how bored i am to have just read all those pages...

since i am here i thought imight aswell make a reply!

PwarYuex said:

the answer is mostly related to how MQ Uni chose to structure its course.

Chiro's require min 4800 hours/5yrs of tertiary study or something to qualify to practice... and MQ chose that its first 3 years will have very little chiro subjects (this also allowed them to pump out more graduates who had other health degrees = more profit)

whilst if you compare to RMIT University in Melbourne... their course includes a high degree of chiropractic training from day one.

Basically years 1,2,3 (undergrad) you learn everything including science subjects (pathology, radiography, anatomy, physiology, etc) and all chiro assessment, diagnosis and Treatment techniques (practice on class parteners)

yr4 (masters) - you should know everything by this stage, you assist in teaching clinics under supervision

yr5 - your fully practicing on patients in one of RMIT teaching clinics, and then Mid-year, after pass in major competency tests you are actually allowed to practice in any chiropractic clinic that chooses to grant you supervision assistant (so basically for half a year you're working as P-plate Chiro till you get your degree)

Sorry to be so long... just simply put: the guidelines just say minimum of certain hours of chiro education for licensing, so MQ opted to exclude chiro material till later years of degree, hence why you get mass clump of pretty useless subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)