B commerce at Usyd or UNSW (2 Viewers)

Left-ism

HSC
I wanna do either

Accounting and Finance

or Eco. and finance majors

Which uni has the better commerce course- in academic terms and reputation (international and local), cos i know usyd has a way better campus, social life etc.

Thanks guys

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
omg this has been debated sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mannnnnnnnyyyyy times, go search BOS and you'll find all the responses

in my opinino i'de say goto UNSW but to me they're all the same, USYD included but i hate those two unis because the some of the people i know that go there.. think that if they get a credit averages, they still think they're better than someone who gets distinction averages at New England... omg i full went off at the people that thought that... it's like OMG u fucking wanker!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Ill be going to USYD for B.Comm because there are apparently less asians so id fit in better :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
absolution* said:
Ill be going to USYD for B.Comm because there are apparently less asians so id fit in better :D
lol its about the same

Left-ism

HSC
Sorry, i was unaware of another thread on it.

But Sydney has AASB accredition, which proves better international reputation I think (only business faculty in Aus. to have AASB accredition). Ahh well, might as well jus flip a coin.

I think i will choose USYD- campus, better location (for me) and it actually feels like a place u wanna learn (old school/oxford cambridge style).

Thanks anyways guys

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I dont think a rank, scungbag lefty like yourself need worry about the international reputation of any uni really.

PS : ANU is as good as both or better.

S

Shuter

My preferances will go

Commerce @ UNSW (a bit unlikely)

Business @ UTS City

Commerce @ uSyd

Business @ UTS Kuringai

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
one of my employers sed that usyd was too "theory based" or something and said unsw was probably the best way to go for a bcomm

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
:: ryan.cck :: said:
one of my employers sed that usyd was too "theory based" or something and said unsw was probably the best way to go for a bcomm
Another baseless myth (or perhaps based on someone's personal anecdote from over a decade ago)

Eg. In accounting 1B, usyd does 'Mike's Bikes', a computer simulation based on real life business where individual teams actually compete with businesses run by other teams in the same tutorial, accounting 1B at unsw does not offer anything similar.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Suvat said:
Eg. In accounting 1B, usyd does 'Mike's Bikes', a computer simulation based on real life business where individual teams actually compete with businesses run by other teams in the same tutorial, accounting 1B at unsw does not offer anything similar.
Sounds like a blast!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Left-ism said:
Sorry, i was unaware of another thread on it.

But Sydney has AASB accredition, which proves better international reputation I think (only business faculty in Aus. to have AASB accredition). Ahh well, might as well jus flip a coin.

I think i will choose USYD- campus, better location (for me) and it actually feels like a place u wanna learn (old school/oxford cambridge style).

Thanks anyways guys
no more AASB..its all IFRS now...and UNSW is at the forefront at accounting research

commerce is more flexible

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Suvat said:
Another baseless myth (or perhaps based on someone's personal anecdote from over a decade ago)

u cant judge the Accounting 1B subjects between unis as different lecturers may emphasise different areas - its a matter of personal judgement. It doesnt make any subject better than an other, even if one is more theory-based rather than practical. Its just that employers prefer less theory, but on its own there is nothing wrong with it.

also, UNSW ACCT1B did run a simulation thingy..but on a much grander scale. We had a group assignment where we gave presentations from the perspective of analysts with a regulation/academic bent where we discussed what caused the downfall of Enron. no offence intended, but a mock game just sounds a bit amateurish....anywayz, our assignment was good because:

- we got to work cooperatively in teams (do u often compete against colleagues at work?)
- we had to be creative in our presentations - eg role play (making presentations is essential)
- we were forced to research accounting literature (research skills r important)
- we did some of the prelim work that a typical analyst may do (simulating work)
- also, i think the intention of the assessment was to teach us about accounting ethics...i dunno whether we all came out a lot more moral...but at least we can c either how to detect fraud..or how to learn frmo the mistakes of those who committed fraud but got caught :p

well, thats my 2 cents

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
u cant judge the Accounting 1B subjects between unis as different lecturers may emphasise different areas - its a matter of personal judgement. It doesnt make any subject better than an other, even if one is more theory-based rather than practical. Its just that employers prefer less theory, but on its own there is nothing wrong with it.

also, UNSW ACCT1B did run a simulation thingy..but on a much grander scale. We had a group assignment where we gave presentations from the perspective of analysts with a regulation/academic bent where we discussed what caused the downfall of Enron. no offence intended, but a mock game just sounds a bit amateurish....anywayz, our assignment was good because:

- we got to work cooperatively in teams (do u often compete against colleagues at work?)
- we had to be creative in our presentations - eg role play (making presentations is essential)
- we were forced to research accounting literature (research skills r important)
- we did some of the prelim work that a typical analyst may do (simulating work)
- also, i think the intention of the assessment was to teach us about accounting ethics...i dunno whether we all came out a lot more moral...but at least we can c either how to detect fraud..or how to learn frmo the mistakes of those who committed fraud but got caught :p

well, thats my 2 cents
- I was not judging the entire commerce degree of each uni based on1 course, simply providing an example of exercises based on practical skills @ usyd, we all know how those naive ;) yr 12's will interpret ryan.cck's "too theory based" as "neglects practical aspects."

- I would not consider a group research and presentation task to be a simulation, just another typical group assignment. In any case, usyd does something almost identical in its accounting 1B course, that is, teams have to research a current ethical issue in business (both accounting and commercial issues) and make presentations on how the ill conduct will affect the business' stakeholders, examine the ill conduct from different ethical perspectives (something which unsw commerce students in my cohort seemed to have no idea about) and either justify the course of action or reccommend an alternative. Many teams did decide to do enron (prolly cuz there's lots of info on it) but many others (including mine) decided to do another company. I also fail to see how a research and presentation task can be of 'grander scale' than a business simulation which practically spans the entire semester.

- As for the mock game being 'amateurish', no marks whatsoever were decided on each team's company's performance (which by the way, were measured through a balanced scorecard like in real business, not merely profits/share price). Rather, the marks were decided on a strategic plan, final report and team reflection in which we had to apply our accounting skills to analyse the business environment and justify every decision we made (not just based on 'gut feelings'). There are few more effective ways to learn than to apply accounting skills to a real business environment.

- It is commonplace in today's business environment that different teams, whether in the same or different companys, will have to submit their own proposals to management and these proposals will be compared to alternative proposals from other teams, if you do not define that as 'competing' then I don't know what is

- As previously explained, accounting 1b at usyd does in fact emphasise the important skills you described in points 2,3 and 4 (presentation, research, analysis, ethics)

- All in all, usyd had an almost identical ethics based assignment to unsw, but instead of having another boring accounting midsem, we got to do mikes bikes, which is so much more interesting :p

deviation

HSC
usyd commerce is better because the name is better and UNSW resorts to artificial changes in supply of places [i hear from friends from UNSW commerce.. the dean told them] to always have the highest UAI cutoff for Commerce by decreasing HECS positions and increasing places for FOBS or fee-paying students, thereby increasing total revenue + increasing the reputation of the UNI as having the highest cutoffs.

Usyd's location is more central in a sense and there is more grass in usyd than unsw =).
I rkn the UNSW commerce degree is overrated and people only go for it for one reason. yeap u guessed it.. it had the highest uai cutoff for the past several years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)