B commerce at Usyd or UNSW (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
deviation said:
usyd commerce is better because the name is better and UNSW resorts to artificial changes in supply of places [i hear from friends from UNSW commerce.. the dean told them] to always have the highest UAI cutoff for Commerce by decreasing HECS positions and increasing places for FOBS or fee-paying students, thereby increasing total revenue + increasing the reputation of the UNI as having the highest cutoffs.

Usyd's location is more central in a sense and there is more grass in usyd than unsw =).
I rkn the UNSW commerce degree is overrated and people only go for it for one reason. yeap u guessed it.. it had the highest uai cutoff for the past several years.
While I won't debate the cutoffs thing since I have no idea about that, a degree is better because of the name is better? where's the facts?

UNSW has just been awarded the best School of Accounting in the Asia-Pacific region, based on a US study

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
While I won't debate the cutoffs thing since I have no idea about that, a degree is better because of the name is better? where's the facts?

UNSW has just been awarded the best School of Accounting in the Asia-Pacific region, based on a US study
actually, a lot of recruitment ppl at banks, insurance companies, prefer unsw comm grads cz they believe that the courses r more practical. although much of this is anecdotal, i believe that some kind of survey should b carried out to shut other anti-unsw ppl up.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
§eraphim said:
actually, a lot of recruitment ppl at banks, insurance companies, prefer unsw comm grads cz they believe that the courses r more practical. although much of this is anecdotal, i believe that some kind of survey should b carried out to shut other anti-unsw ppl up.
well it isn't really reliable to say that "Usyd has a better degree cause of its name"
If there was some sort of proof like a research study to give weight to the claim, then I'd pay it

deviation

HSC
Minai said:

I have proof that the DEAN of unsw or watever, or the commerce faculty or whatever announced that they ARTIFICIALLY increased the cutoffs to improve their 'edge' over USYD + UTS !

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
But what does this prove? It doesn't prove USyd is better does it

S

Shuter

deviation said:
I have proof that the DEAN of unsw or watever, or the commerce faculty or whatever announced that they ARTIFICIALLY increased the cutoffs to improve their 'edge' over USYD + UTS !
Now you're not mistaking proof for heresay are you? I trust you have the recordings of these conversations?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
Now you're not mistaking proof for heresay are you? I trust you have the recordings of these conversations?
unsw fce shifting supply and demand. economics in practice:D....now who's better eh!? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
All would be well if we all realised that there is more to determining a course's cut-off than the supply and demand.

S

Shuter

§eraphim said:
unsw fce shifting supply and demand. economics in practice:D....now who's better eh!? :p
Der, I understand how it would work, I was questioning whether there was proof that they actually HAVE done it on purpose.

Farcanell

It puzzles me as to why that's the case... I'm yet to see any rankings that rate UTS as being above MQ...

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
does ne one know if the management major is ne good or even a useful major, and which uni would be more suitable for a double major in marketing and management.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
slinky said:
does ne one know if the management major is ne good or even a useful major, and which uni would be more suitable for a double major in marketing and management.
management is a useless major...

klh

HSC
slinky: management has many jobs
i.e. consultant, manager of an office etc. Policy maker/analyst and business manager. Teacher.
Will give you skills, so it isnt useless. But its good to have a 2 majors, marketing is good too.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
klh said:
slinky: management has many jobs
i.e. consultant, manager of an office etc. Policy maker/analyst and business manager. Teacher.
Will give you skills, so it isnt useless. But its good to have a 2 majors, marketing is good too.
i think the leadership skills needed for a managing role come from practical experience acquired on the job. Plus, there are many short courses given by many management gurus which you can use in your own management style to motivate subordinates. I still maintain that a management major is useless as the theory of management philosophies, cross-cultural management case studies, etc, etc...are so irrelevant to most businesses. It's good general education for sure, but it in my opinion at UNSW they use this "management" major to boost enrolments in its smaller schools, especially School of Industrial Relationns & Human Resource Management, as well as the School of Internation Business.

klh

HSC
depends on the course, im learning organisation studies which is interesting enough but all of it is theory based. But thats why i said try to do a second major to boost employability. I cant get a job with management alone.
In reply: wot-everrr...

aditya

HSC
no ur wrong... management is useless.... instead of doign a management major u do an MBA.... for one and a half years after hu actually have some industry epxerience... doing a management major is onyl suitabel if u have plans to run ur own company in the very short term.... not for getting consulting jobs... lol.... and consulting jobs dunt require management skilsl they require superior technical knowledge and the ability to solve problems in an analytical manner, the roots of the problem not the organisation/structure of it.... i.e. management

regardless... i dont see the point in debating usyd over unsw.... unsw seems to have a better course.... but usyds course is by IMO MARGINALLI lower... hopefully ill end up in usyd.

but i can safely say that the unsw course in accoutning is better than that off usyds... looking at the units of study available at usyd... there is much to be desiered... even when u compare with uts and macquarie let alone unsw.... mac has a good course its accredited by every professional body that matters....

however... what ryan cck said concerns me about usyd... because... basicalli.... its the employers opionion that matters... i mean our employers (as in mine) may be u people that fnished their course 2 or 3 years from now... so basicalli they're perspective on which uni is the ebst will also vary...

however.... people saying that a credit average is equal to a distinction average at new england... would be right.... credit is still commendable and new england leaves much to be desired IMO... (i got no hard facts on that thats just reputation :D hehe)

nehoo.... what suvat said about the comparison certainly omits the non-practicality issue.... very insightful.... but just reading the names at the usyd site for the options available in the accounting major.. they seem a little out-dated... if udunt believe me compare for urselves...

unsw accoutnign seems waaay ahead.....

however... finance at sydney is better.. without a doubt...

but i dno anything about economics? can someone enlighten me?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Management comes second best to leadership. And leadership is an art not a science. Leadership skills can be gained from participating in group activities. eg University politics.

Banking and finance at UNSW kicks all asses. :D
Economics - ANU?

Last edited:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
§eraphim said:
Management comes second best to leadership. And leadership is an art not a science. Leadership skills can be gained from participating in group activities. eg University politics.

Banking and finance at UNSW kicks all asses. :D
Economics - ANU?

Whatever man, u clearly have no idea about what u're talking about. With regards to comm at Usyd or UNSW, they are equal, end of story. Other factors like atmosphere, social environment, location etc should be considered and determine which uni u go to. Ppl who continue to debate Usyd vs UNSW comm need to get a life and realise there are more important issues to think about than just the uni u go to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)