B. Commerce - Halp (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
I'm completely unable to decide between either Sydney, NSW and UTS, they all are good in certain areas :( So, please, without your current bias getting in the way, could you list some of the pros and cons of each uni for commerce, or in UTS's case, B. Business?

Thanks in advance

gw0ng

HSC
Just consider exactly what it is you're looking for from the Crunchy Bar.

HSC
Garygaz said:
I'm completely unable to decide between either Sydney, NSW and UTS, they all are good in certain areas :( So, please, without your current bias getting in the way, could you list some of the pros and cons of each uni for commerce, or in UTS's case, B. Business?

Thanks in advance
there's a million posts on this identical topic. use the search function

Rorix

HSC
And you have replied to the very threads that ifsonotso is talking about. Dude, being as blunt as possible, don't go to UTS without a good reason. I don't think any UTS student would get offended if I said it wasn't on the same level, employment opportunities wise, as UNSW or USYD

Garygaz

HSC
Rorix said:
And you have replied to the very threads that ifsonotso is talking about. Dude, being as blunt as possible, don't go to UTS without a good reason. I don't think any UTS student would get offended if I said it wasn't on the same level, employment opportunities wise, as UNSW or USYD
Yea, though it's weird. For example, a lot of people I talk to say how Syd and NSW have better employability though when I went to the UTS open day they were showing all the sponsor companies for their B. Bus course who hand out around 30 internships, they have like 3 of the big 4 accounting firms, couple of the big banks, Macquarie Bank, Amatil, Uni-lever and others. So, on that note, if such prominent companies are apparently backing the uni how come it is seen as having bad employability?

Monstar

HSC
Be honest to yourself man. Usyd and UNSW have the most opportunities.. followed by Macq and UTS.

Affinity

HSC
Rorix said:
+1

There's a good reason for a higher UAI for syd and UNSW, especially when UNSW is at a relatively less convennient location than UTS.

Rorix

HSC
Garygaz said:
Yea, though it's weird. For example, a lot of people I talk to say how Syd and NSW have better employability though when I went to the UTS open day they were showing all the sponsor companies for their B. Bus course who hand out around 30 internships, they have like 3 of the big 4 accounting firms, couple of the big banks, Macquarie Bank, Amatil, Uni-lever and others. So, on that note, if such prominent companies are apparently backing the uni how come it is seen as having bad employability?
I'm afraid its a bit difficult to explain to an HSC student since you probably (like everyone else was in your shoes) don't know that much about the job opportunities available to commerce students. Basically, pretty much every firm will hire from UTS - however, your opportunity to reach the jobs you're likely to really want is diminished. For example, it's pretty easy for anyone with a TAFE degree to become an auto mechanic, but if you want to be a car designer, you're going to need a University degree in engineering. (hypothetical example before anyone complains about the accuracy).

Similarly, Macquarie Group will hire UTS students for the back office no problem, but if you want to be an investment banker, your opportunities are diminished.

Please just take our word for it and go to UNSW or USYD if you can, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. you cant afford to pay full fee at UNSW or something)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
For Commerce after everything I've experienced and have been told by my friends I'd pick:
1. UTS
2. USyd
3. UNSW
My opinion. Personally...

But I do Commerce (liberal studies) @ Usyd which is greater than Commerce (also my opinion)
If you have no intention on trying for overly competitive jobs such as IB then I would agree with you based on the relative ease of UTS (both academically and geographically)

Otherwise...

Errwut?

Garygaz

HSC
Goddamn pink!! It's hard enough to pick already D: Maybe the course is more enjoyable, but employability. oh and btw, new CEO of Macq bank is an ex NSW B. Com, he was at some old boy now ceo dinner, according to my dad.

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
For Commerce after everything I've experienced and have been told by my friends I'd pick:
1. UTS
2. USyd
3. UNSW
My opinion. Personally...

But I do Commerce (liberal studies) @ Usyd which is greater than Commerce (also my opinion)
But you don't study at uts or unsw do you?

Clearly you don't know a lot and are really biased.

What makes commerce (liberal studies) so good? And don't you have to score C's or D's (no matter what commerce course you do) to get into the top firms?

Garygaz

HSC
Well from talking to the head of business at the UTS open day he kind of implicitly said that, yea, you need C's or D's to really get into the top firms after graduating, otherwise they would overlook you in their selection processes.

So hypothetical situation, few hundred applications for a job at say Goldman Sachs and there are equal resumes with a B. Commerce with D's from NSW, Syd and UTS, what does the person reading the resumes do? (answer if you actually KNOW not just on bias, thanks :])

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
LOL I've got friends at both unis. I've done my research for both unis. And that is the conclusion I came up with.

excuse me. If you read I said personal opinion from a mixture of stories I have heard from my friends, the research I have done and my own personal experience.

Its awesome. Sooo much freedom. Only one compulsory subject. I am able to do 3 majors. I am not only limited to commerce subjects (which most of you would probably agree that it does get a bit dry and dull at times). Brilliant degree. Would recomment it to any one.

I dont think I said that you have to. I didnt mention anything about marks.
But friends are biased too aren't they? Doesn't matter this is not a productive argument i think.

I only mentioned the marks because in the end, it doesn't matter if you do Bachelor of Best degree in the world, if you don't pass and get through it (preferably at the top) then doing the jobs you might love in govt, ngos and commercial firms with all their perks would be impossible.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
If it's a front office position, the UTS resume will have little to no chance.

It's already been mentioned plenty of times in this thread, to maximise your opportunities go to a GO8 uni.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
like suvat said, you should go to a go8 university...haha its australia's equivalent of the ivy league in the US :p

from what i have heard from friends who have either transferred from usyd and from friends attending uts:

usyd there isnt as much application and there is more theory. generally examinations are similar in difficulties in unsw. but ultimately for some subjects at each uni there will be some harder ones and there will be some easier ones.

the core for unsw i have again heard from others who have attended both unis, that it is harder at unsw.

unsw on a comparative scale to uts has much harder examinations and requires more from first year.

though a major difference is that you get to do a bit of from each school in business though there is no major is no school in economics from what he told me but there is stats.

edited: thanks to forever pink :)

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
Garygaz said:
Well from talking to the head of business at the UTS open day he kind of implicitly said that, yea, you need C's or D's to really get into the top firms after graduating, otherwise they would overlook you in their selection processes.

So hypothetical situation, few hundred applications for a job at say Goldman Sachs and there are equal resumes with a B. Commerce with D's from NSW, Syd and UTS, what does the person reading the resumes do? (answer if you actually KNOW not just on bias, thanks :])
Dude, you seem to be very eager to go to UTS. I have no idea why, everyone with the exception of one person on the forum is telling you it's not a good idea. I think this is the 4th or 5th post where I've told you as much. I'm guessing you went to their open day and they pitched you well on their course or whatever - it's all BS mate.

In regards to your question, I've gone through recruitment for IB positions with most of the IBs in Sydney. I've probably met 40 or 50 interview candidates over that period. From memory, at best 2 went to UTS (that was at MacqGroup). Probably 10ish from Macquarie, including degrees like Actuarial. The remainder where USYD or UNSW (mostly USYD, but I think that's a product of more USYD students studying finance from what I know - I don't think USYD is better than UNSW or visa verca). UTS isn't even the 3rd best choice, Macquarie Uni is better.

Again, do not go to UTS unless there are special circumstances.

04er

HSC
UTS exams are definitely easier.
IMO there is nothing wrong with UTS, but as mentioned go to USyd or UNSW if you can.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I've 2-3 friends who have all gone from UTS to UNSW and agree without a doubt that UNSW is harder, whilst a friend of mine who did the opposite went from barely scraping through UNSW (passes) to getting D's in UTS....

Obviously a sample too small to be significant but meh :p

Just go to UTS. It sounds like it would give you the most life satisfaction... lol...

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Rorix said:
Dude, you seem to be very eager to go to UTS. I have no idea why, everyone with the exception of one person on the forum is telling you it's not a good idea. I think this is the 4th or 5th post where I've told you as much. I'm guessing you went to their open day and they pitched you well on their course or whatever - it's all BS mate.

In regards to your question, I've gone through recruitment for IB positions with most of the IBs in Sydney. I've probably met 40 or 50 interview candidates over that period. From memory, at best 2 went to UTS (that was at MacqGroup). Probably 10ish from Macquarie, including degrees like Actuarial. The remainder where USYD or UNSW (mostly USYD, but I think that's a product of more USYD students studying finance from what I know - I don't think USYD is better than UNSW or visa verca). UTS isn't even the 3rd best choice, Macquarie Uni is better.

Again, do not go to UTS unless there are special circumstances.
I think USYD are more highly represented because a greater proportion of the student population come from privileged backgrounds and in addition to being well-spoken probably have a better idea of the ropes versus the relative mass of foreign students at UNSW.

My theory anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)