B Ed: Human Movement and Health or Science?? (1 Viewer)

bcurious

Curious Member
HSC
Hey

I need some advice on which BEd i should do... Im considering B Ed (Human Movement and Health education) or BEd (science)/E Sci at USyd. Can anyone please tell me what subjects and stuff you do in those two?

For the B Ed/BSci i want to do it cos i like science but my maths and chemistry are really crap and i dont want to be struggling through it. So is there a lot of maths involved? I would most likely choose subjects like biology, immunology, microbiology, physics... Trying to stay away from maths and chem.

If anyone is doing science, please tell me how much maths i will have to do (i only did mathematics in yr 12 and got a band 4) and whether the level of maths would be diff if i want to be a biology/physics teacher?

Thanks heaps!! =D

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
For B science I believe you have to do statistics, I don't know what's in it but everyone seem to complain about it.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Well, I can offer info and advice from a Usyd perspective.

You must do maths for a year. There are a variety of levels, including one for those intending to major in the Life Sciences, which only assumes HSC Mathematics.

You will, however, have to study a higher level of maths than this if you intend to major in Physics to become a Physics teacher.

You have to do Junior Chem to major in some types of Biology (if not all), definately the types you are interested in, and if you're thinking of Immunology and Microbiology and such, you should also be taking intermediate level Chem units. (I think it's recommended, not sure if compulsory)

If you struggle with Chem, you can take the Fundamentals units.

Yeah, I hope that kinda helped. :)

Kurwa

HSC
Hey i'm doing B Ed and B sci atm, and im majoring in maths basically your first year is all broad subjects so dw about it much..

we basically you have to do 2 subject of maths in your first year if you doing b sci -

from usyd point of view- basically 2 maths subject that are under the fundamentals units =]

bcurious

Curious Member
HSC
Oh ok so that means ithe maths shouldnt be too difficult for me? If i major in physics, would i most likely be looking at maths ext 1?

HSC
Every Science degree requires a certain degree of maths which is usually completed in the 1st year in the form of a 10 credit point unit (depending on the university, this is UWS, that's right ladies, UWS).

Biology and physics is an unorthordox combination, espically since your looking at doing more maths within physics than chemistry. I've found just in this first year that biology and chemistry have a lot of overlap. If you compare the HSC biology course to what is done in university it is micky mouse in relation chemical content. So in other words if you are going deeper into biology a reasonable understanding of chemistry will put you in good sted but its not out of reach otherwise.

If you delve deep into physics your algerba (at low level) MUST be up to scratch as it is kind of a base level when it comes to equation manipulation, plus that will be the focus of the HSC Physics course if you teach it. For later years calculus will be your best friend... Talk to those doing physics majors if you can to really gauge what you will have to learn.

Happy hunting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)