B Health science (1 Viewer)

brownie44

HSC
So will the 4 senior BHS senior units that you choose tought in the main campus?
Also lauren Im just wondering does my second major which will be the movement science major..do you know if it has
specific requirements i need to do in semester 1 & 2?

Thanks heaps for your help
Yeah the 4 senior BHS units are taught on main campus, which means people doing hearing and speech and movement science are at both Camperdown and Cumberland campuses. I think they try to put all the lectures and tutorials on different days though so you arent travelling between campuses. As far as I know, the only requirement for the movement science major is BIOL1003 Human Biology in semester 1. Apart from that, in semester 2 you just choose electives you enjoy. Here is the link if you want to see what units of study you do in the movement science major 7. Bachelor of Health Sciences - Health Sciences handbook - The University of Sydney :D

vivtzav

HSC
Hi Lauren :)
just wondering with the 2 generic electives you choose..wats was very popular with other students and ur friends that do BHS?
Wat did u choose? was it good?

konkzz

HSC
How many contact hours would a first year B Health Science student have a week ?

brownie44

HSC
Hi Lauren :)
just wondering with the 2 generic electives you choose..wats was very popular with other students and ur friends that do BHS?
Wat did u choose? was it good?
Most people I know did PSYC 1002, which is the semester 2 version of psychology 1001 which you do in first semester. I didnt do that though because I didnt really like PSYC1001. I did BACH 3146 - cyberpsychology and e health (which is at Cumberland and a few BHS 1st year students did it) I found that really interesting and it was good because it only had a 2 hour lecture each week. I also did SCLG 1002, sociology 2, which I didnt particularly like at all. But I think that was mainly because I wasnt really interested in the content. I say see what you do and dont like after first semester and choose subjects that interest you (doing electives at main campus is easier, because youll be there for the BHS core units).

As for contact hours, in first semester I think there was around 16 contact hours (which includes all lectures, tutorials and pracs). Second semester it depends on what electives you choose.
Lauren.

vivtzav

HSC
Ok thanks for that..and u said theres about 16 contact hours a week. How many days a week for u at uni for your first year? was it ever all day?
Thanks for all ur help :)

brownie44

HSC
Ok thanks for that..and u said theres about 16 contact hours a week. How many days a week for u at uni for your first year? was it ever all day?
Thanks for all ur help :)
First semester I went all 5 days, but some of them were for 1 1 hour lecture. I cant say what it may be this year because the timetabling may have changed. If you want to see what times subjects are on, log into your unikey and go to the timetabling unit on the right hand side. From there you just type in subject codes and it will come up for all the classes for that unit of study.

brownie44

HSC
I cant say for sure, but I'd say they will still continue to offer the guarantee in 2010. I dont see why theyd offer it for one year and then stop. When you go to the open days etc later in the year just see then.

Sarebs

HSC
Hi, old thread but I'm just wondering if a B Health Science would be right for me.

I know that I'd like to work in allied health, but I'm not 100% sure in which area. I'm currently thinking of psychology, but I don't want to do a specific course first up in case I change my mind. So if I wanted to do psychology through a B Health Science, how long would it take? 5 or 6 years?

Thanks

brownie44

HSC
You do psychology as your second major in BHS. I think you have to do honours through the faculty of health science and then complete a masters in psych. Im not exactly sure. Hope this helps.

fionang8191

HSC
N/A
hey i'm doing psych as my second major

with psych you have to do honours (or equivalent) i order to get registered to practice. So you can do psych through BHS (just follow the unit of study outline for a psych major) but with honours, you can do health science honours but when it comes to registration it will be difficult because the health science honours program is very different to the psych honours program. The psych honours program includes course work as well as research where as Health science honours is only research.

It is recommended that you do the psych honours just cause then registration is easier and also you can go into the psych master's programs (if you do well). Although psych honours is slightly more difficult to get into but well it is better in the end.....

All up it will take about 6 years (if you choose the master's or supervision stream) It will take about 8 years if you do a PhD. Contact hours wise, it is about 16-18 depending on the units of study that you choose. Sometime it is way less.. like for me this semester i'm doing 11 hours with 4 units of study... so yea i changes!

hope that was helpful...

fionang8191

HSC
N/A
With regards to the guarantee entry into any masters program, there is some rumor going round saying that although they say it is guarantee they can't take everyone even if they get a credit average. The validity or reliability of this unknown.. but that's the rumor

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
With regards to the guarantee entry into any masters program, there is some rumor going round saying that although they say it is guarantee they can't take everyone even if they get a credit average. The validity or reliability of this unknown.. but that's the rumor

Oh i hope that's not true!!

alphaisanidiot

HSC
Hey guys.

Is there a major we have to choose from Health Science and then we choose a second major from any other faculty? Are there any H Sci majors that we can study at Camperdown campus?

Pretty certain I'm doing B Health Science at USYD in 2010 if there are any others out there ;)

brownie44

HSC
Hi
Im in BHS at the moment and I study at the Camperdown campus. I do management as my major but you can do pretty much anything. Other people are doing psychology, sociology and I think someones even doing marketing. Theyre are all at Camperdown, as with the senior health science units.
As for a health science major (Im assuming youre talking about hearing and speech and movement science) theyre both at Cumberland.
Hope that helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

alphaisanidiot

HSC
Hi
Im in BHS at the moment and I study at the Camperdown campus. I do management as my major but you can do pretty much anything. Other people are doing psychology, sociology and I think someones even doing marketing. Theyre are all at Camperdown, as with the senior health science units.
As for a health science major (Im assuming youre talking about hearing and speech and movement science) theyre both at Cumberland.
Hope that helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Wow thanks so much. :) Is it compulsory to major in something like movement science or hearing? And do you have to have a B Hlth Sci to get into say Masters Physio?

Im trying to find a 3yr degree that will allow me to have an Arts major and a Science major and it's proving difficult.

Cheers for your help.

Sarebs

HSC
Wow thanks so much. :) Is it compulsory to major in something like movement science or hearing? And do you have to have a B Hlth Sci to get into say Masters Physio?

Im trying to find a 3yr degree that will allow me to have an Arts major and a Science major and it's proving difficult.

Cheers for your help.
I think you can do that with a B Liberal Arts and Science. Not 100% sure though, may be worth looking in to.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
alpha,

you do one compulsory major which is health, everyone does that.
then you can pick a second major from a huge range of things eg management, psychology etc.

if you do a B health sci you get a guaranteed place in the M Physio if you do the movement science major and you can maintain credit average (65%).
not M physio is full fee (around 25k a year)

look it up on the Sydney uni website, probably more reliable than BOS haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)