B Science (Advanced) (1 Viewer)

shakky

HSC
Someone told me that if you're enrolled in normal B.Sc and complete all the requirements of B.Sc (Adv), you can have the option of graduating with the advanced degree. Is this true? I've tried looking for more info on the Usyd site, but can't find anything about it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to reboot this thread a bit since it's slightly relevant...

How many people that are originally in BSc (Adv) ended up dropping down to normal BSc due to not meeting the required average mark of 65?
Is it possible to move back up to BSc (Adv)?
What do you think of Chemistry and Statistics as my two majors? Is it important to a major that statistics can be applied to such as a Mathematics and Statistics pair?
Lastly, is the average 65 required for first year (or just second and third)?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

How many people that are originally in BSc (Adv) ended up dropping down to normal BSc due to not meeting the required average mark of 65?
What do you think of Chemistry and Statistics as my two majors? Is it important to a major that statistics can be applied to such as a Mathematics and Statistics pair?
I can't say for sure. Nobody that I know is dropping down, and chances are they wouldn't tell anyone if they were.

Candidates enrolled in the Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) are required to maintain a minimum average mark of 65 in all intermediate and senior units of study in Science subject areas in each year of enrolment. Failure to maintain the required average will result in candidates being transferred to the Bachelor of Science in their next year of enrolment with full credit for the units of study completed.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

Don't know how many but I don't think a lot. It's quite hard not to get credit if you try to do well. It's just that people who get below credit really cbf with uni.
They are quite good majors in terms of job opportunities but most importantly it's just a question of if you like them anyway. So why ask others? But be aware that chem at uni will feel quite diff from HSC chem unless you've done uni chem before. And whether you'll like stats is a big question mark as well cause so many people absolutely hate it once they try it in 1st year 2nd sem. So you wouldn't know what you really will want to major in later on - slightly too early to decide. But I guess it's good to have an idea

and the bolded bit, I don't actually get what you're asking. Are you asking whether it's important to do maths with stats because they link better to each other? in which case my answer is not necessarily. but if you're going to do stats, I recommend you do 2nd year linear algebra to make your 3rd year a little easier.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm probably going to swap into BSc(Adv) and then get swapped down to BSc like on the same day. Lol

Stats is terrible.
I don't understand the bolded.

I think it's mainly for the SCIWAM (2nd and 3rd) but I'm not sure.
You need to reach a certain score in most jnr subs for the intermediate subjects needed to get an advanced major.

I can't say for sure. Nobody that I know is dropping down, and chances are they wouldn't tell anyone if they were.
Awkies.

Don't know how many but I don't think a lot. It's quite hard not to get credit if you try to do well. It's just that people who get below credit really cbf with uni.
They are quite good majors in terms of job opportunities but most importantly it's just a question of if you like them anyway. So why ask others?

and the bolded bit, I don't actually get what you're asking. Are you asking whether it's important to do maths with stats because they link better to each other? in which case my answer is not necessarily. but if you're going to do stats, I recommend you do 2nd year linear algebra to make your 3rd year a little easier.
I have to agree with the first part.
The only reason I did so badly this year was because I didn't go to most classes and first semester I got a mid credit average.

avoidingstudy

HSC
I'm thinking of doing this degree but I got 94.95, so 0.05 below the current cut-off but I got E3s for both MX1 and MX2.

The flexible entry requirements/info say this: Mathematics Extension 1, PLUS Band 5 and above for HSC Mathematics (2 unit, not General) AND
Band 5 and above in at least TWO of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, Geography or Physics

Does the 2nd part of the requirement (which I do not have) mean that I wouldn't be eligible?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking of doing this degree but I got 94.95, so 0.05 below the current cut-off but I got E3s for both MX1 and MX2.

The flexible entry requirements/info say this: Mathematics Extension 1, PLUS Band 5 and above for HSC Mathematics (2 unit, not General) AND
Band 5 and above in at least TWO of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, Geography or Physics

Does the 2nd part of the requirement (which I do not have) mean that I wouldn't be eligible?
The flexible entry shows a semicolon (;) - I'm not sure if that means and or or.

A very close friend of mine wants to do BSc (Adv) as well (with me would be a bonus - we're both interested in science). She got *only* 91.30 ATAR - do you think this will make the cut? She did MX1 and got B5 in 2U - I THINK she missed on B5 in either Chemistry or Physics by 1 mark (the other was B5).

As for the bolded bit before, I was thinking that doing statistics might be better if you had another major where you could use your skills in statistics in - I was wondering if it was necessary or if it didn't matter.

jet

Banned
HSC
Be aware that you don't have to enrol in a B. Sc. (Adv) from high school in order to graduate with one. There is no difference in available subject choices between the regular stream and the advanced stream. There are provisions in the Faculty of Science handbook which allow you to transfer into the Advanced stream in Second or Third year if you satisfy certain requirements (pretty much the same requirements which people must satisfy to stay in the degree anyway, the only difference being the required average mark, which is 75 for transfer, not 65).

Last edited:

Psychoanalytic

HSC
The flexible entry shows a semicolon (;)
A very close friend of mine wants to do BSc (Adv) as well (with me would be a bonus - we're both interested in science). She got *only* 91.30 ATAR - do you think this will make the cut? She did MX1 and got B5 in 2U - I THINK she missed on B5 in either Chemistry or Physics by 1 mark (the other was B5).
I applied for advanced science last year, it was my first preference. I got an ATAR of 92.75, band 6 in biology, band 5 in chem and band 5 in physics. I wasn't accepted, so I did med science instead. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll make the cut.

HKspec009

HSC
I applied for advanced science last year, it was my first preference. I got an ATAR of 92.75, band 6 in biology, band 5 in chem and band 5 in physics. I wasn't accepted, so I did med science instead. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll make the cut.
I just wanted to ask how is med sci at USYD, because it is my first pref.
Do you have any advice in general about the degree, the difficulty?
Also, is it hard to maintain a credit-distinction average?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
^ I have friends doing B Medical Science who completed BIOL1003 (Human Biology) with me and the competition/difficulty for everyone (regardless of their degree) is the same. Most of us would stand on even ground during first year (due to our previous HSC studies in the sciences). Depending on how hard you work then no, it is not that hard to obtain a C-D average. Because the B Medical Science degree is strictly structured you are 'forced' to study molecular biology and majority of students found it difficult - but don't let the failure rate for the UoS (unit of studies) pull you down on any of the science degrees.

See the course structure yourself: http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/course/bmedical.shtml

Good Luck and All the Best! :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

You'll deffs get in if it's your first pref.

I got 94.75 and got an offer in the late round for it (it was like my 9th preference for every other round and I moved it to first for that round).

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I just wanted to ask how is med sci at USYD, because it is my first pref.
Do you have any advice in general about the degree, the difficulty?
Also, is it hard to maintain a credit-distinction average?
Watch out for the down scaling in second and third year units, I hear it's horrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)