B. Speech and Hearing Sciences Question (1 Viewer)

bec3

HSC
Hi everyone,

So I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about this course, as I currently am aiming to study speech pathology. I've looked it up online and read about it, but it would be great to hear what it is like from someone who either takes the course or knows someone who does. Basically, what are some of the positives and negatives of taking this speech/hearing course, as opposed to others offered by other universities? A brief rundown of what is covered in the course would be brilliant too.

Thanks!

Mz.Utai

HSC
Hey,
I finished this course last year and I'm now doing my Masters. Its a good course, however if you're sure you want to do speech pathology, I recommend you do it at Sydney Uni. One of the reasons is that, after completing the three years you do not qualify as a speech pathologists or as anything. It is very difficult and competitive to get into the Masters program as there is a limited amount of spaces and you need a very high GPA. Furthermore, it is a broad degree and you don't really do any speech or hearing units until the last year. The first two years offer units in psychology, biology, and linguistics. At other unis, such as Sydney you become a qualified speech pathologist after four years and you don't have to worry about being unemployed if you dont get into the Masters program.

Hope that helped :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't do it but I know a few that do that do it at sydney

Speech path @ sydney

Positives:
Lots of core subjects - easy to make a keep friends
Small cohort - easy to make and keep friends
Small campus - easy to navigate, everyones chilled, everyone's willing to make friends, can't walk across campus without seeing at least 1 friend, common lunch on tues and thurs :)
Tutors and lecturers are always willing to help
Can graduate as a qualified speech path
Speech path directed subjects pretty early on
Speech path clinic on campus
The uni organises placement for you

Negatives:
Linguistics/phonetics - many of my friends are often complaining about this (i recommend doing the grammar bridging course at usyd in the holidays - you also make friends here)
Anatomy - difficult
It's in lidcombe - campus in the middle of nowhere (unless you live close)
Terrible boy to girl ratio (i assume this is a negative :p ) there are 4 first year guys in speech path this year

Positives of speech path in general:
Rewarding career - getting results from clients through helping them
Interesting course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)