BABS1201 study (1 Viewer)

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone.
I'm having a real hard time studying for BABS without some questions..
If anyone has or remembers questions from mid sem (or even previous years), could you please post them up?
Thanks in advance

Also, for people who have done BABS, how easy/hard is the final exam?

Kittikhun

HSC
From doing other biology exams in the past, 80-90% of the test content is from lectures and not from the textbook, so don't study the textbook much.

Personally, I'm just copying and pasting the slides on word and highlighting the important bits with different colours. I also watch youtube videos of concepts I don't get.

CarliBellaa

HSC
Lecture notes, Crashcourse and brightstorm!! Best youtube channels

Kittikhun

HSC
Thank you! Those youtube channels are even better than the actual lectures!

Kittikhun

HSC
Hey, guys.

I just talked to a couple of my buddies on FB who have done the course last year and the year before that. They said that the test wasn't as difficult as they had expected (they're smart and nerdy though) and that it was mostly all lecture material. If you understand the concepts in the lectures and can apply them, you should be fine. Also, there is an emphasis on DNA structure (so I'd guess there should be something on DNA replication too).

Last edited:

CarliBellaa

HSC
So we're not allowed to bring a calculator, that means we dont have to do the hardy weinberg calculations? yay?

Kittikhun

HSC
Yeah, I was stumped on that scientific method question too, and I just BS'd it. I didn't really expect a question like that! But probably should have with the thing about said about how to approach science in the final lecture on the exam. How did you find it, CarliBellaa?

The exam was difficult for me though, but it wasn't as difficult as I had expected it to be. Those youtube videos saved me heaps.

All the best for your chem exam, mate, :).

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
that chem exam was bad, or was it just me :c i answered a lot of it but i'm afraid i'm going to fail the course

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
that chem exam was bad, or was it just me :c i answered a lot of it but i'm afraid i'm going to fail the course
I found that exam to be a shocker :( It was quite hard for me too
But maybe it'll get scaled in some way

The exam was difficult for me though, but it wasn't as difficult as I had expected it to be. Those youtube videos saved me heaps.
+1 :)

wilsondw

HSC
The chem exam was not an easy one (many of us would have found it a bit difficult) and I do believe that it will get scaled according to my sources (I believe they are fairly reliable). Though Nick Roberts told one of my friends that the scaling in CHEM1031 is fixed. In addition our CHEM1031 course would be harder according to one of the professors because in the previous years it was easier apparently.

Though it is a good thing that the exam was out of 140 where the 10 written questions were worth 10 marks each and the multiple choice section was worth 40 marks

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the input guys, it puts my mind at ease a bit. i really need to get better at writing equations and knowing chemical names before semester 2 though D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)