Bachelor of Oral Health/BOH offers (1 Viewer)

remotedragonfruit

HSC
Hey everyone. I really need some advice.

I graduated in 2021 with a 92.20 atar.
My first preference was the Bachelor of Oral Health at USYD. The indicative selection rank on their website for 2023 was 83.

Firstly, they keep using the term selection rank but do not consider EAS or any other adjustment factors. So does this mean offers are based ONLY on atar?

I did not receive an offer during the last offer round and received an offer for my 2nd preference which had a 94 indicative atar.
I checked the UAC list where universities released the LSR for the courses for december round 2 and it’s now 96 for BOH.

I can’t find absolutely ANYONE online who has received an offer for this course. Is it possible that USYD just didn’t release offers for this course in this offer round? I know it’s a small cohort though so I don’t know how likely that is.

I just want to know if I have ANY shot at getting an offer in the next round or if USYD doesn’t really do that. I feel really upset as this is what I really wanted to do, and I feel so mislead by the indicative atar — not to mention the fact they don’t accept EAS or high achievers for this course.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, the Bachelor of Oral Health is excluded from both EAS and USyd's Academic Excellence Scheme. The page for the Bachelor of Oral Health on USyd's website mentions that the degree requires an ATAR of 83 in the overview section, although it mentions that this number is an indicative selection rank in the admissions sections. Given the aforementioned information, the latter most likely does not apply, meaning that offers made indeed consider students' ATARs only. This is consistent with the 2022 ATAR profile for this degree, which can be found on the degree's page on UAC's website:

CodeLowest ATARMedian ATARHighest ATARLowest selection rankMedian selection rankHighest selection rank

Notice that the ATAR figures are identical to the selection rank figures, indicating that no adjustment factors of any kind were applied and that offers were made after considering ATARs only.

With that being said, the reason that the lowest ATAR figure is as such is that the student would have received an offer for the Bachelor of Oral Health through USyd's E12 Early Offer and Scholarship Scheme, which reduces the indicative ATAR for this degree to an E12 ATAR of 80 (or whatever this figure was in 2022).

It is possible that admission into this degree was more rigorous/competitive this year than last year, hence the higher "LSR" for this year's December Round 2. I doubt that no offers were made for this degree in this round given the possibility that at least one student with a sufficiently high ATAR would have applied and received an offer for this degree, provided that they also met other admission requirements for this degree.

It is a good thing that you received an offer for your second preference, congratulations! Now that you have the option of studying another degree if you end up not receiving an offer for the Bachelor of Oral Health, you may wish to keep it as your first preference. While it is not guaranteed that you would be made an offer in the upcoming round, it is better to take a chance than to completely give up, especially since an alternative is available in the event that the outcome is not favourable.

It is definitely interesting to see such a disparity between an indicative ATAR and the actual ATAR range that students need to be in to have a chance of receiving an offer. USyd should probably adjust their indicative figure to reflect the higher difficulty of admission into this degree and avoid providing a potentially inaccurate representation of the difficulty of admission into this degree to students such as yourself.

I hope this helps! 😄

remotedragonfruit

HSC
Yes, the Bachelor of Oral Health is excluded from both EAS and USyd's Academic Excellence Scheme. The page for the Bachelor of Oral Health on USyd's website mentions that the degree requires an ATAR of 83 in the overview section, although it mentions that this number is an indicative selection rank in the admissions sections. Given the aforementioned information, the latter most likely does not apply, meaning that offers made indeed consider students' ATARs only. This is consistent with the 2022 ATAR profile for this degree, which can be found on the degree's page on UAC's website:

CodeLowest ATARMedian ATARHighest ATARLowest selection rankMedian selection rankHighest selection rank

Notice that the ATAR figures are identical to the selection rank figures, indicating that no adjustment factors of any kind were applied and that offers were made after considering ATARs only.

With that being said, the reason that the lowest ATAR figure is as such is that the student would have received an offer for the Bachelor of Oral Health through USyd's E12 Early Offer and Scholarship Scheme, which reduces the indicative ATAR for this degree to an E12 ATAR of 80 (or whatever this figure was in 2022).

It is possible that admission into this degree was more rigorous/competitive this year than last year, hence the higher "LSR" for this year's December Round 2. I doubt that no offers were made for this degree in this round given the possibility that at least one student with a sufficiently high ATAR would have applied and received an offer for this degree, provided that they also met other admission requirements for this degree.

It is a good thing that you received an offer for your second preference, congratulations! Now that you have the option of studying another degree if you end up not receiving an offer for the Bachelor of Oral Health, you may wish to keep it as your first preference. While it is not guaranteed that you would be made an offer in the upcoming round, it is better to take a chance than to completely give up, especially since an alternative is available in the event that the outcome is not favourable.

It is definitely interesting to see such a disparity between an indicative ATAR and the actual ATAR range that students need to be in to have a chance of receiving an offer. USyd should probably adjust their indicative figure to reflect the higher difficulty of admission into this degree and avoid providing a potentially inaccurate representation of the difficulty of admission into this degree to students such as yourself.

I hope this helps! 😄
Hey thank you so much for your detailed reply! I’ve already accepted my other offer. I guess now I’d just have to wait to see if my atar will make the cut or not. They have actually removed the MMI interview from it and I understand that makes it way more competitive — just wish they had reflected this on their page beforehand. Nevertheless, thanks for your reply :)

2xq

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just going to point out that USYD removed the MMI Interview that was associated with BOH in previous years. This explains why the LSR for offers made during the December Round 2 Round (Main ATAR round) skyrocketed to 96.00.

remotedragonfruit

HSC
I'm just going to point out that USYD removed the MMI Interview that was associated with BOH in previous years. This explains why the LSR for offers made during the December Round 2 Round (Main ATAR round) skyrocketed to 96.00.
Yeah definitely makes sense and I was aware of this, I just didn’t expect SUCH a drastic increase

Waneiaia

HSC
hi did you end up getting in. I graduated in 2021 with an 88.85. I wanted to apply for 2024 intake. is it realistic ill get into oral health ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)