Bachelor of science (1 Viewer)

maths94

HSC
are there good career opportunities for Bachelor of science graduates?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depends what science area you go into...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In my opinion, mathematics/statistics offers the best career opportunities because you can apply it in both a scientific and a commercial context. However, there are plenty of companies out there who are looking for science graduates in other disciplines, probably not in the places you would normally expect. (i.e. beyond CSIRO, ANSTO etc)

For example, I was quite intrigued that the RBA (which you normally associate with economics) hires science graduates in chemistry, physics and materials science in the area of banknote printing. http://rba.clients.pageup.com.au/content.asp?stp=GW&staticID=rba_the_work_science_engineering

That being said many places that I know of that are traditionally aligned to science graduates tend to look for people who've done masters or phd level rather than just a bachelor level, especially companies which focus on R&D.

FrozenSky

HSC
Science in general have unstable/insecure job prospects.
The only "secure job" you can get from science is research. However, with the future cut in research funds it will severely affect research prospects.
On the other hand, if you can predict which scientific discipline will become important in the future e.g. environmental research then finding a job wouldnt be difficult. You can also find a secure job if you're able to find a useful niche disciplinary in science.

Tim035

HSC
Yes, but it's a bit of a funny career path. If you want to get into regulatory affairs, or drug safety / pharmacovigilance, you'll likely have to start off as a sales rep and then climb the corporate ladder to get those more science orientated / high paying jobs. The other option I'm seeing a lot of friends having success with is now interning for management consulting, marketting firms and even a few are in a big 4 whilst completing part time a Masters of commerce or MBA. Other options are diagnostics like douglas hanley moore, or quality control with places like sydney water, unilever etc...

In almost all cases you'll need to do more then just a B.Sci to get out of 'the basement' persae, whether this be a Phd, MBA, or a post grad speciality like pharmacy, dental surgery, and of course med.

I'm currently working for a niche firm that does intellectual property and regulatory affairs law research for pharmaceutical companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)