bad hands (1 Viewer)

georgie38

HSC
i love art, but im terrible at creating actual works (the practical aspects), sure i can think up a reasonable concept and way to portray the concept, but hav no skill eg cant paint or draw between lines. anyone got a solution, other then dropping the subject?

dougieblow

HSC
you may not be good with your hands, but you can always suck....

stillwaters

HSC
you might not have the technical skills traditionally associated with art e.g. beautiful realist painter, awesome charcoal drawing skills etc. but there's still so many ways you can convey your concept...
like pezdog said you can try digital work or photography (where you can pick up the technical skills as you go especially if you art teacher or anyone else knows photography stuff)... you could do experimental work with paint, ink/ other art materials like abstract forms, patterns(where if you cant make things look real its to your advantage :p), use found objects instead as sculpture materials (so even if yo usuck at ceramics, woodcarving etc. you can still do it), do a conceptual artwork like joseph beuys, christo etc. i remember some art express work was little bits of postage stamp sized paper which had notes written on it about daily stuff from that persons life... and it was still awesome in how they set it out and the concept behind it even if there didnt seem to be much technical (or what youd traditionally associate technical art skills with) skill involved. they mark on two aspects, conceptual strength and resolution...you sound like youll be fine with conceptual, but with resolution:
a) youve got three whole terms to practice and work on it
b) they're looking for you to do something well in that medium but also innovative use of that medium.. (if that makes sense ><)
i dunno , i guess with my huge block of text im trying to tell you that there's so ma ny possibilities you can do with your work that moves beyond what youd traditionally consider 'good' art... you're probably alot more skilled than you think you are so dont be so down on yourself ^^

stillwaters

HSC
oops... possible solutions:
1) think of what artworks you did in preliminary art? anything the teacher liked? what kind of stuff did you do? what kind of stuff worked and didnt work? be honest but dont exaggerate the bad stuff either ^^
2)just start playing around with the stuff in your art room... even if it seems like pointless finger painting or something just play around and you might come up with someone interesting.
3)figure out concept and talk to teacher about best ways of conveying it.. just keep doing that throughout the year while you experiment with material cos itll be this constantly evolving body of work and also youll have stuff to build upon instead of freaking out in april when you dont have anything to show?
i also suck at the practical stuff... i cant paint or draw realistically or even abstractally (i know that;s not a word...) to save my life... still cant but i experimented with prints at the beginning especiallyt monoprinting (good for us unskilled ppl :p maybe check it out?) and somehow it evolved into me doing this weird conceptual work which i photographed and then manipulated on photoshop (had no idea how to use photoshop or good digital cameras until... june this year!! :O)
yea, but dont give up!! there's so much stuff you can do!! actually... my BoW was the first artwork i ever finished ... >< =) gluck... hope my ranting helped... (god i write so much)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Try collage, digital work, abstract stuff, jewellery, sculpture.
I wouldn't give up art completely. You just haven't found the kind of art that suits you yet.
My teacher told me that someone with great technical skill can achieve high marks without having much of a concept, and likewise for someone who can think of a great concept and convey that really well but lacks in technical skill. So either way I think you'd be fine. If you can convey that concept really well then keep on doing that. Experiment with different mediums as well. Combine them and make a collection of works.
There are plently of things you can do in art besides realistic paintings and drawings.
Hope that helps :)

verdades

HSC
You really don't need to be great at the practical side.
So long as you have an awesome concept, it doesn't matter if your work is a bunch of stick figures [ok, possibly a bit extreme, but you get the drift] so long as you've conveyed your concept really well.

If you're any good at textiles, I've seen some major works like that, too, as another idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)