• Help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and exam papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • We are looking for new moderators to join the Bored of Studies team!
    Click here for details

Bad Lecturers (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
We normally have them at least once a semester. So what makes them so bad? What could improve them? What subjects have they been known to teach?

Why have a UOW forum if we're not going to warn each other about some of the perils of UOW? We need to get a channel of communication open here.

To get the ball rolling, we had one lecturer for CSCI222 (who doesn't lecture that subject anymore) last year. I turned up to every lecture, and I tried to get something out of it. People who know me, know as much as I hate the place, I am a good student. But this bloke, man worst lecturer I've ever had.

Anybody got any others?
 

nwatts

Active Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,939
Location
Greater Bulli
Gender
Female
HSC
2013
POL121 lecturer is not great. I have her in tutorials, and she seems far more chill and lucid, but in lectures, gosh she's bad. Mind you monday's was particularly good. Watched a doco for an hour.

I don't rate the WRIT121 highly. She's knows what she's talking about, and is definitely a great source of info/ideas- but she has such a patronising manner that doesn't gel amazingly well.
 

Scanorama

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
921
Location
Australia
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
I met 3 last session: CSCI204, CSCI212 and CSCI203. CSCI212 was particularly bad, it was lectured by 2 people, both of them were crap.
 

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
1,029
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
considering the fact that lecturers take more ythan one subject.....i beleive its best to name names, even if it opens myself up for potential disaster.....

last session i had this lame guy for maths, and now have had him again a few times this session, ken stevenson, the dude has np passion and makes lame jokes, talks in monotone, just overly bad

also, rodney vickers ive had a few times and although he tries hard, his lectures are always boring and not structured, he releases his notes on the net and they make absolutely no sense, also quite lame
 

Scanorama

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
921
Location
Australia
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
DooGseY said:
What? I don't think you will find any better lecturers than Ian or Luke.
Luke was awesome, Ian is just not my cup of tea. He explained stuff much better than Ian.

Eric Rayner is the worst I've seen. Minjie was pretty bad too.
 

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
DooGseY said:
What? I don't think you will find any better lecturers than Ian or Luke.
Luke is pretty awesome. If you ever have 300-level electives to do, CSCI361/CSCI368 is what you should do. Difficult, but awesome.
 

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
1,215
Location
The Chateau
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
nwatts said:
POL121 lecturer is not great. I have her in tutorials, and she seems far more chill and lucid, but in lectures, gosh she's bad. Mind you monday's was particularly good. Watched a doco for an hour.
more like, bludged on your computer for an hour..

yes pol121 is particularly bad. not only does she hate us all, but she mumbles an awful lot, and talks in a way that assumes everyone is at a particular level of knowledge when that is clearly not the case.

i havent spoken to one single person that understands this course. i dont even get what we are meant to be learning as such.
 

nwatts

Active Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,939
Location
Greater Bulli
Gender
Female
HSC
2013
Born Dancer said:
more like, bludged on your computer for an hour..

yes pol121 is particularly bad. not only does she hate us all, but she mumbles an awful lot, and talks in a way that assumes everyone is at a particular level of knowledge when that is clearly not the case.

i havent spoken to one single person that understands this course. i dont even get what we are meant to be learning as such.
respect the now departed computer!

and you've spoken to me. i know pretty much everything there is to know :p
 

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
2,109
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Welcome to Bad Lecturing 101, First up will be Roll Call:

Khorshed Chowdhury
Frank Neri
Julie Sutherland
Dr Ah Ba Sim
Hema Wijewardena
 

glitter burns

the sky is falling
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
Messages
726
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Female
HSC
2003
nwatts said:
I don't rate the WRIT121 highly. She's knows what she's talking about, and is definitely a great source of info/ideas- but she has such a patronising manner that doesn't gel amazingly well.
Which lecturer is that?
You better not be talking about Shady, she's bloody awesome.
 

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
1,923
Location
to the left, a little below the right and right in
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
glitter burns said:
Which lecturer is that?
You better not be talking about Shady, she's bloody awesome.
nah

Alanna Valentine (sp?)

and i actually like all my lecturers for this session, although the lecturer for WRIT122 (prose) is fucking hilarious. most random outbursts in lectures.
 

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
33
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
poloktim said:
To get the ball rolling, we had one lecturer for CSCI222 (who doesn't lecture that subject anymore) last year. I turned up to every lecture, and I tried to get something out of it. People who know me, know as much as I hate the place, I am a good student. But this bloke, man worst lecturer I've ever had.
Lol, Im doing 222 this semester, and maybe its the content, but its still pretty crap. 4 weeks in and we are listening to the same stuff as the first week.
 

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
2,109
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
poloktim said:
We normally have them at least once a semester. So what makes them so bad? What could improve them? What subjects have they been known to teach?

Why have a UOW forum if we're not going to warn each other about some of the perils of UOW? We need to get a channel of communication open here.

To get the ball rolling, we had one lecturer for CSCI222 (who doesn't lecture that subject anymore) last year. I turned up to every lecture, and I tried to get something out of it. People who know me, know as much as I hate the place, I am a good student. But this bloke, man worst lecturer I've ever had.

Anybody got any others?
See Tim, I just don't turn up to class enough for it to be worthwhile of declaring someone is a crap lecturer... the ones who do shit me to tears are the ones who ring me at home to ask why I'm MIA. And that's when the lies about houses burning down, illegitimate pregnancies etc come into the fray.
 

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
Spiked_Phate said:
Lol, Im doing 222 this semester, and maybe its the content, but its still pretty crap. 4 weeks in and we are listening to the same stuff as the first week.
If the lecturer you have is who I think it is, then it's a different person to who we had last year. But yes, whenever we had that particular lecturer (the one you've got), he did simply go over the same topics each week.
 

Serius

Beyond Godlike
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
3,127
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
dawso said:
considering the fact that lecturers take more ythan one subject.....i beleive its best to name names, even if it opens myself up for potential disaster.....

last session i had this lame guy for maths, and now have had him again a few times this session, ken stevenson, the dude has np passion and makes lame jokes, talks in monotone, just overly bad

also, rodney vickers ive had a few times and although he tries hard, his lectures are always boring and not structured, he releases his notes on the net and they make absolutely no sense, also quite lame
A. Vickers is kinda boring aswell, lectured hist107 last semester. a relation perhaps?
 

Terra_Niux

l337 h4x0r
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
93
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
Lecturers that I have had include:

CSCI114: Procedural Programming
Willy Susilo: Good Willy is pretty awesome, presents the lectures in a very easy to understand way and provides many examples.

Jo Abrantes: Good Although she can be hard to understand at time she is very thorough and definetely takes the time to make sure you understand the content.

CSCI103: Algorithms and Problem Solving
Anne Fuller: Bad Anne is a terrible lecturer, CSCI103 was delivered exceptionally poorly, got no explanation for assignments and she never ever replied to emails.

STAT131: Understanding Variation and Uncertainty
Anne Porter: Average Anne Porter was pretty good, she delivered the lectures as expected, assignments tended to be fairly easy however she didn't provide much assistance.

BUSS102: Computer Systems
Jim McKee: Bad All this bloke would do is read off a microsoft word document every lesson: word for word.

CSCI124: Object Programming
Koren Ward: Average Koren is a pretty strange lady but she tries her best to keep you afloat.

Peter Castle: Good Peter is an awesome lecturer, he provides decent assignments, decent amount of help and presents some really good lectures.

ECTE182: Internet Technology 1
Christian Ritz: Average This guy is pretty good, not the best but not the worst, his exams suck though.

David Stirling: Bad Does this bloke know what a microphone is? Seriously, I don't think I ever heard him speak a proper sentence without mumbling. He can be helpful one on one though.

BUSS212: Database Management Systems
Peter Eklund: Good Peter is a great lecturer, even though he is the head of Information Systems he still loves to get in there and teach even the lower subjects. Provides really decent lectures and is always helpful. Note: Anyone that does this subject will have to put up with "Cheef" who is a DICKHEAD.

CSCI102: Systems
Gene Awyzio: Average Yeah Gene isn't too bad I guess, she dedicates lectures on how to write which are completely wrong.

CSCI204: C Family and Unix
Luke McAven: Good Luke is easily the best lecturer i've had at Uni, he has really good lectures, really good assignments (except for the Car Traffic one people from last semester may remember) and ALWAYS responds to emails.

Ian Piper: Bad All this guy ever does is rave on about stupid jokes, the origins of "foo bar" and cough.

CSCI212: Interacting Systems
Minjie Zhang: Average Minjie wasn't too bad in my opinion, her lectures weren't too bad and needless to say she was always willing to help. Minjie also had a great sense of humour. Alot of people that bagged her last semester never showed up to any lectures.

I have saved the worst for last:

Eric Rayner: F*CKING TERRIBLE!This guy is a complete moron. If you are in SITACS and get stuck with this guy for a tute then change as fast as you can, if he is your lecturer, unenrol as fast as you can. If you are stuck with this guy as your only lecturer you WILL fail. He is exceptionally patronising, makes words up and goes on about his PhD thesis.
 

Tenka

New Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
2
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2001
Terra_Niux said:
Eric Rayner: F*CKING TERRIBLE!This guy is a complete moron. If you are in SITACS and get stuck with this guy for a tute then change as fast as you can, if he is your lecturer, unenrol as fast as you can. If you are stuck with this guy as your only lecturer you WILL fail. He is exceptionally patronising, makes words up and goes on about his PhD thesis.
I signed up on this forum just so I could express my agreeance with this.

Eric is by far the WORST lecturer in all of UoW, how they could let him in baffles me. Never in my life have I ever seen someone put in less effort in their primary job. When he lectures he reads of his lecture notes word for word and mumbles as he speaks. His Assignment specifications are so cryptic you spend more time desciphering them than doing them.

To add to that list:

CSCI213: Java and Object Oriented Programming
Neil Gray - Good - Probably one of the best lecturers I've had yet. I spent all of last semester figuring java out on my own pretty successfully and got a distinction for that subject. Coming back to 213 (an Introduction to Java) you would think I would have found it boring/pointless, thanks to Neil that is not the case. He knows more than his share of the material and has his own "quirks" that keep your attention in lectures much like Willy Susilo or even Peter Castle.
 
Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
Terra_Niux said:
CSCI124: Object Programming
Koren Ward: Average Koren is a pretty strange lady but she tries her best to keep you afloat.
Koren knows her work, explains it well and is always open for assisting students. I don't think she's average, and give her a lime Good. It is just my opinion though, and I'm not saying you're wrong.

ECTE182: Internet Technology 1
Christian Ritz: Average This guy is pretty good, not the best but not the worst, his exams suck though.
Christian is awesome. Nothing average about this bloke.

CSCI102: Systems
Gene Awyzio: Average Yeah Gene isn't too bad I guess, she dedicates lectures on how to write which are completely wrong.
Gene is simply teaching her class what they don't know. Sadly, a lot of people still don't know how to write.

Tenka said:
CSCI213: Java and Object Oriented Programming
Neil Gray - Good - Probably one of the best lecturers I've had yet. I spent all of last semester figuring java out on my own pretty successfully and got a distinction for that subject. Coming back to 213 (an Introduction to Java) you would think I would have found it boring/pointless, thanks to Neil that is not the case. He knows more than his share of the material and has his own "quirks" that keep your attention in lectures much like Willy Susilo or even Peter Castle.
I do think Neil is an awesome lecturer, however when I took CSCI213 it was in the 40.HOPE and he always turned the lights off. The chairs were comfortable, which meant I would nap. I think I slept through most lectures.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top