Bad Lecturers (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
chinesefireball said:
Because lab tutors get paid to help students. I had already had tried to help myself by looking through the lab notes and lecturenotes. If I am meant to look up everything on google then what are the point of the tutors? Why should I go to labs (or even bother going to uni) if I'm not going to get help.
Tutors are there to help you should you come up to something that you can't understand. They're there to help you understand the task required, the assignment, any extra questions about the subject content they may have. They're not there to give you the answer to everything. You're no longer in high school, I think it's about time you stopped expecting to be spoon fed and take some initiative for your own learning.

If you feel this is unacceptable, and you want to be lazy and be given the answers to everything, perhaps university isn't for you.
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
2,198
Location
Northernmost Moonforests of the North
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
chinesefireball said:
Because lab tutors get paid to help students. I had already had tried to help myself by looking through the lab notes and lecturenotes. If I am meant to look up everything on google then what are the point of the tutors? Why should I go to labs (or even bother going to uni) if I'm not going to get help.
- Tutors are rarely helpful, that's a bonus and you shouldn't count on it. Whether this is due to them being lazy/useless or them attempting to encourage you to be proactive about your own learning is something of a matter of opinion, and varies depending on what exactly they refused to do for you.

Personally, I think case to case it's probably a combination of the two - there is definitely a time when tutors should help and in my experience there have been times when they dropped the ball on this. At the same time, it's not unheard of for students to ask stupid questions that could be answered more effectively if they took a *very* small step outside the delivered content and did five seconds worth of looking for themselves.

To speak broadly, "tell me something" questions are those which I feel you should be able to mostly answer for yourself without asking the tutor, while "I know about this, but I don't quite understand..." type questions are those you should direct towards a tutor if you cannot work it out yourself.

From what you've said, being told to look it up yourself does not sound unreasonable. However, if *after* doing this you spoke to the tutor again and said "I have done that, but I still don't quite understand", *then* I would think it would be reasonable to expect further assistance.
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
2,198
Location
Northernmost Moonforests of the North
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
poloktim said:
Tutors are there to help you should you come up to something that you can't understand. They're there to help you understand the task required, the assignment, any extra questions about the subject content they may have. They're not there to give you the answer to everything. You're no longer in high school, I think it's about time you stopped expecting to be spoon fed and take some initiative for your own learning.

If you feel this is unacceptable, and you want to be lazy and be given the answers to everything, perhaps university isn't for you.
I was starting to feel bad that it looked like we're saying the same thing, but I'm pleased to see that yours differs from mine in that it brings to mind that elitist "if you don't like it fuck off, uni is for hip cats olol" thing :)
 

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
ogmzergrush said:
I was starting to feel bad that it looked like we're saying the same thing, but I'm pleased to see that yours differs from mine in that it brings to mind that elitist "if you don't like it fuck off, uni is for hip cats olol" thing :)
Yeah, you're more diplomatic than I am. I also take offence to the "uni is for hip cats olol" part. :( You know me well enough to know I would never say that. :( :(

I tried to say that being too lazy to look something up on google is no fault of the tutors, but a problem with the student. Though you and I did agree with the actual role of tutors - there to help if you can't understand something, not if you're too lazy to look it up.

Lab tutors have got forty or more people to deal with at any given time. Believe it or not, some students have more genuine issues with the task at hand besides "how do I use rand()?"

I know this makes me sound even more elitist, but frankly, I think it's necessary. I think elitism is needed to combat the overwhelming flood of laziness and apathy from some students, expecting the uni to cave in and cater to their lack of work ethic and motivation.
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
2,198
Location
Northernmost Moonforests of the North
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
lol, right with you up till the che guevara shit :) I think rather than elitism, the solution is:

1) Uni needs to be run by people who value education as much as you do, as opposed to the money as a priority thing

2) In order to allow (1), uni needs to be in a position where it's financially viable to reject money from stupid people in order to maintain integrity.

3) For (2) to become a reality, changes in government will need to take place. This will probably involve a revolution of a most violent nature.

Bitching at people about being morons won't do anything, they're a symptom rather than the cause. If things were right, they wouldn't have got into uni so they were in a position to be idiots and drag the place down with them. What we need to be doing, is blowing shit up, and that's the only way we're going to see improvements.

Edit: Wait, that was even more che guevara shit... :( Well, we agree on the cause at least, just not the means :>
 

MaNiElla

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
1,854
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
^^ Whats the #HSC logo in your sig for? many people on bos have them in their sigs:confused:

Sorry if its a stupid question, but im curious..
 

Josie

Everything's perfect!
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
1,341
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
It's our secret and exclusive club.

The first rule of #hsc?

Not sure, someone help me on this.
 

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
Josie said:
It's our secret and exclusive club.

The first rule of #hsc?

Not sure, someone help me on this.
First rule of #hsc is come in and join. If you're a cunt, you won't be joining anytime soon. :D
 

MaNiElla

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
1,854
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Josie said:
It's our secret and exclusive club.

The first rule of #hsc?

Not sure, someone help me on this.
:confused:

poloktim said:
First rule of #hsc is come in and join. If you're a cunt, you won't be joining anytime soon. :D
:confused:

Sorry, but i have no idea what you two are on about :(
So do people have to join the club or whatever it is, in order to know what it is? Or am I misunderstanding u's?
 

jm1234567890

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2002
Messages
6,519
Location
Stanford, CA
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
MaNiElla said:
:confused:


:confused:

Sorry, but i have no idea what you two are on about :(
So do people have to join the club or whatever it is, in order to know what it is? Or am I misunderstanding u's?
It's an IRC channel.

Search for "irc" on Google if you don't know what it is.

It's kinda like a group chat in MSN... but "different"...
 

Josie

Everything's perfect!
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
1,341
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
Update time!

David Neil (Phil106), excellent lecturer (good tutor too), very interesting to talk to, and pretty patient.

Suneeti Rekhari (SOC104) Please, someone shoot this boring bitch in the head. It could be worse I guess, but sitting in a room with her for 2 hrs every Thursday is slowly draining my soul. She's a replacement for the real person who is meant to be taking this course :(

Charles Hawkley (POL121) This guy manages to make a lecture on economics interesting, and I hate the stuff. Awesome tutor too.

HIST107: Apparently there's a different lecturer every week, but since I have a clash I don't go. Kosta for the tute again, I love him, even if he is so baised it's not funny.
 

MissSarajevo

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
251
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
I dropped fin223 because the tutor (I think his name is Zaffar Subedar or something like that) is soo ugly. Everytime i saw him I had a violent and powerful urge to vommit and cant study at all. Initially I thought I had food poisoning or something lol. Even when he smile his face still look like he is sulking and sneering like this icon :(

Besides, he is not that good either, he basically rush through tutorial and sometime refused to answer question maybe because he does not know and ask student to ask them after class instead. Thank god, no more vomitting since I dropped his subject.
 

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
1,158
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Woah you're an arsehole... who bases the quality of education on the appearance of a lecturer?

Idiot...
 

iamsickofyear12

Active Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
3,966
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
MissSarajevo said:
Besides, he is not that good either, he basically rush through tutorial and sometime refused to answer question maybe because he does not know and ask student to ask them after class instead.
I wish my tutors did that. I always get tutors that insist on using the entire time. I just want to go home, especially when it is 4.00 and I've been at uni since 9.00 with basically no breaks.
 

iamsickofyear12

Active Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
3,966
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Bacilli said:
6 hours without hardly any break?
gees
I stacked up Tuesdays so I would get more days off... I am there anywhere between 6 and 9 hours depending on the week. It really isn't that bad... I don't have any more than 3 continuous hours... but lately I have been having to do assignments during breaks and 8 or 9 hours of constant work is tiring.
 

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
2,109
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Frank Neri in Economics is pretty good because he's quite down to earth and if he doesn't know something then he admits it. But he's awesome to have although my marks somehow never correspond to this...which is very confusing.
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
2,198
Location
Northernmost Moonforests of the North
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
I'd just like to bring the view count on this thread to everyone's attention.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this thread is warranting a lot of bos-external attention. This could either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where you stand on the matter. Either way, I suppose the truth shall prevail? :)
 

poloktim

\(^o^)/
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
1,323
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
ogmzergrush said:
I'd just like to bring the view count on this thread to everyone's attention.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this thread is warranting a lot of bos-external attention. This could either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where you stand on the matter. Either way, I suppose the truth shall prevail? :)
It all comes down to thinking before posting. Constructive criticism and genuine complaints versus slander/libel.

Also, this site might be viewed by prospective (and even current) students. I've been approached by students because of my posts here (because figuring out my name from my username is so very difficult). That being said, teaching staff have also done the same thing in approaching me.
 

Josie

Everything's perfect!
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
1,341
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
poloktim said:
It all comes down to thinking before posting. Constructive criticism and genuine complaints versus slander/libel.

Also, this site might be viewed by prospective (and even current) students. I've been approached by students because of my posts here (because figuring out my name from my username is so very difficult). That being said, teaching staff have also done the same thing in approaching me.
No idea how anyone could work out your name from your bos name. Never.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top