Bad school ranking + bad individual ranking = bad atar no matter what? (1 Viewer)

lemon1

HSC
Hello guys, i am in a tough situation but it is because there have been so much dilemmas in my life this year and it has really hurt my results. I used to do 3 unit mathematics before i had no choice but to drop down because my studying was strong affected from personal reasons for those wondering why i would chose general.

School rank: 198~

Subjects rankings:

English Standard: 120/270
General Mathematics: 60/150
Engineering Studies: 13/19
Physics: 18/30
IPT: 19/27

I haven't been doing very well, but what are the chances of me getting a good atar if i do very well in my trials, final major assignment for each topic and in my actual HSC exams?

Thankyou

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
hey chin up mate

remember your externals still count for 50% of your final hsc marks

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you define as a good ATAR?

BL3H

HSC
You can apply for misadventure for the HSC, and at the universities you wish to attend.

You can get up to 10 ATAR bonus points from the unis and the BOS could give your HSC mark as your internal if you perform worse in the exams. (Not sure what else the BOS could do.) So you should look into that.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yea i guess so, but ranks play a big role regardless don't they?
yes they will impact upon your internal assessment mark but there's not much you can do about your past. you say you have trials, I assure you, ranks change a lot during trials so not all hope is lost

you should aim to make the most of what you have left and try to maximise your marks from them

and as mentioned already, you say you've had it rough, rough enough for misadventure? that may be another avenue for you to explore

lemon1

HSC
You can apply for misadventure for the HSC, and at the universities you wish to attend.

You can get up to 10 ATAR bonus points from the unis and the BOS could give your HSC mark as your internal if you perform worse in the exams. (Not sure what else the BOS could do.) So you should look into that.
How do these misadventures work and how do they work to get me marks? Also, what are you referring to when you say internal and are you referring to the trial exams?

Sorry for the load of question i am really unsure about this stuff!

yes they will impact upon your internal assessment mark but there's not much you can do about your past. you say you have trials, I assure you, ranks change a lot during trials so not all hope is lost

you should aim to make the most of what you have left and try to maximise your marks from them

and as mentioned already, you say you've had it rough, rough enough for misadventure? that may be another avenue for you to explore
Is there anywhere i could read about how do these misadventures work and in what situations they are used?

Last edited:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
English Standard: 120/270
General Mathematics: 60/150
Engineering Studies: 13/19
Physics: 18/30
IPT: 19/27

Don't try to lose faith, you still can get a "goodish" ATAR as you stated 80+. The trials can worth ~20% of your total HSC for that specific subject. Remember you got 50% + 20% = 70% total worth of the subject left. My advice is for you to get the following as your final outcome - trying to make realistic goals. If you not achieved, try to not go too far away from it.

English (Standard): ~ 20-30/270
Mathematics (General): ~ 3-7/150
Engineering Studies: ~ 2-4/19 (Remember: Mechanical Ratio, Velocity Ratio, ∑M = 0, Method of Sections, Method of joints etc :))
Physics: ~ 3-6/30 (Remember S.I units - i.e always convert where necessary)
IPT: um... ~ 5-9/27

I believe these goals should be achievable.

Goodluck, I hope everyone works out well :)!!!

HSC
If anything, finish the year with a bang so that you can be proud of yourself for at least something. Don't dwell on the past

liangson

HSC
hey,dude, im in a shit school with rank 300+ in sydney, dont give up, bro.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Refer to the above comments and just keep at it and seek inspiration mate, best of luck.
If it makes u feel better, I'm at a 600+ school and my physics and chem classes may be forced to drop due to such low classes, thus I am truely screwed. Although this may happen, I try to not let it bother me and I keep focussed on the main goal.

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
Refer to the above comments and just keep at it and seek inspiration mate, best of luck.
If it makes u feel better, I'm at a 600+ school and my physics and chem classes may be forced to drop due to such low classes, thus I am truely screwed. Although this may happen, I try to not let it bother me and I keep focussed on the main goal.
If they drop, what happens to you?
You'll only have 8 units.

lemon1

HSC
You have all literally made me so motivated, i can now see i at least have hope, which makes it much easier for me focus and feel like i'm not doing it for nothing

<3 !

mrteeson

HSC
If your thinking of around ATAR 80s+, for your coming Trials I highly advice you to BOOST up your rank for eng stand by 20+ ranks, general maths at least 10+ ranks and the rest try go up by 1 or 2. General maths and stand English seems to be a big cohort and hence it will highly affect your performance (still depending on cohort performance in those course).
But like most people said there's still the trials and final to make up for your desired ATAR, so work hard this holidays and learn from your mistakes that you have done in the past exams and assessment task. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO IMPROVE TO GET A GOOD ATAR!:guitar:

lemon1

HSC
If your thinking of around ATAR 80s+, for your coming Trials I highly advice you to BOOST up your rank for eng stand by 20+ ranks, general maths at least 10+ ranks and the rest try go up by 1 or 2. General maths and stand English seems to be a big cohort and hence it will highly affect your performance (still depending on cohort performance in those course).
But like most people said there's still the trials and final to make up for your desired ATAR, so work hard this holidays and learn from your mistakes that you have done in the past exams and assessment task. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO IMPROVE TO GET A GOOD ATAR!:guitar:
thankyou for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)