• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bag snatch in Lakemba (2 Viewers)

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
mr jonathan.

i dont seee him as innocent - i dont agree with the war or any ones efforts to profit from the invasion.

If he was innocent, i would never want him harmed under any circumstances.

i dont think he should be there.

He is not even in the military, he is a contractor helping to rebuild the country. And if he wasn't innocent, why would you hate those who were to harm him?

tattoodguy

jonathan - people should pay for prison? and you say Some should pay and some shouldnt?
seee ur not a fair person.

you think our laws are appplied fairly? thats not reasonable.

the government should pay for prison - alot of prisoners are innocent and now ur going to further punish them.

alot of prisoners are the victims of crime - they should have a right to commit some crimes.

the vast majority of people who are in jail really dont deserve it. Alot of them are pettty harmless criminals.

Why dont you think of rehabilitating prisoners instead - if you want to save some money why not advocate home detention etc?

stufff like this.

i think their is some evidence that stuff liek this works?

doesnt drug court give people chances? i heard drug courts are pretty successful.

Why contribute to ruining this country - why jump on the band wagon with a government of opppressors, hypocrites and liars?

Arnt u ashamed of ur political party? dont you have a problem with lying? Shouldnt politicians be punished for breaking promises?

Why dont u get off the fucking band wagon - anyone can shit on the pooor, criminals, uneducated, drug addicts etc - most pple odnt have alot of sympathy for these people - you dont need to further punish these people just to apppease the majority to score votes.

you dont kick people when there down Its unaustralian.

Why dont you come up wit6h something original instead of hiding behind ur political party - why dont you speak out about how our politicians are ruining this country - why dont you tell the truth - i know ur a relatively intelligent guy - you should infiltrate our government and destroy it.

Australia deserves better.

the only decent politican was pauline hansen - she was fucked over by our govenrment - what happened there why was she let offf? did our government go on which hunt to remove the competition?

If you ever get into proper politics etc? would you let me write a few speaches for you?

tattoodguy

its ok for ur government to murder civilians but since its iraqies killing an aussie you have a problem.

they have more right to kill him, than our government does to killl iraqies in iraq.

isnt he aiding and abetting america and the coalition - to me thats a crime.

the freinds of ur sworn enemies should share the same fate as your enemies.

mahuligan

HSC
tattoodguy said:
alot of prisoners are the victims of crime - they should have a right to commit some crimes.
haha thats gold...i think you've been losing more braincells. Soon there wont be any left :(

does this mean that you'd be okay with a victimised ex-prisoner coming to your house and pinching all your stuff?

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
jonathan - people should pay for prison? and you say Some should pay and some shouldnt?
seee ur not a fair person.
My policy was very fair. It understood that some cannot find work as easy, others come from low socioeconomic backgrounds. The system regulations would apply to all, so it is fair.

What my proposal required was that a person who makes over a certain amount of money after they leave prison should be taxed extra for a given period (and not to the full extent of the prison costs). If a person drops below as threshold, then taxing would cease. If a person had too many support payments to make, the taxing would cease until financial stability. Who determines this payment? A board or tribunal based on merit and review process.

An ex-inmate would still be entitled to support payment when they leave prison, and poor people would simply not make the threshold to pay back. A problem I found with this at first was it would prevent crime before it happens (hence makes punishment more harsher), but what about those who are released, we want them to be committed to rehabilitation and a life away from crime. How do we do this? We simply ensure they are involved in the community, and impose a "Good Samaritain" clause, that if a person gets involved with the community, helps out or even seeks help for their problems, then the taxing will cease. It gives them something to work towards. A great deal of crime ccurs because people are bored, their time is not occupied and so their networks of social connection are limited to crime gangs and to criminal activity.

you think our laws are appplied fairly? thats not reasonable.

In theory they are. However I do acknowledge that laws can be applied unfairly. Don't think I don't understand this. I wrote a massive essay for law about justice and popular perception last week.

the government should pay for prison - alot of prisoners are innocent and now ur going to further punish them.

The government do and would still pay for prison. The pay-for-prison scheme is about getting rich crooks, to pay for their time, add a strain to enhance deterrence and encourage rehabilitation.

In terms of your second point, the penal code under law should not be inhibited by poor procedure of the courtroom.

You have no right to commit a crime. If you have a right, then it's not a crime.

the vast majority of people who are in jail really dont deserve it. Alot of them are pettty harmless criminals.

They are still criminals, and the law stipulates they should be gaoled for their offences. But tattoodguy, I am not a lock-them-away person. I believe that criminals should be rehabilitated, shamed and reintegrated back into the community.

Why dont you think of rehabilitating prisoners instead - if you want to save some money why not advocate home detention etc?

I do, see my explanation. Tattoodguy, I am a big fan of John Braithwaite, a criminologist at ANU, who is the creator of the "Republican Model" which is about rehabilitation and retribution. It's a terriffic mix.

stufff like this.

i think their is some evidence that stuff liek this works?

doesnt drug court give people chances? i heard drug courts are pretty successful.

I agree. Drug courts are great, it puts responsibility back on offenders to clean their act up and seek help. If they don't, then they will be put in gaol. However I have also read into the problems of such setups, as the system will only help you if you plead guilty. If you don't plead guilty, you are tried and if found guilty, straight to gaol.

Why contribute to ruining this country - why jump on the band wagon with a government of opppressors, hypocrites and liars?

It's such a nice statement you said, but you're not in my position, nor do you have the experience and knowledge to make such comments.

Arnt u ashamed of ur political party? dont you have a problem with lying? Shouldnt politicians be punished for breaking promises?

I am a very honest person. You don't know me, and I don't lie in politics. I tell it as it is. If you believe a politician, one has to ask about your sanity (a little joke). Politicians (under the case of Wilmot v SA) have immunity from being sued because their promises and statements of policy are subject to factors which are often beyond their control. You should realise that.

I am not ashamed of my party. As I said, it takes courage to support a party which cops heaps of criticism for trying to stand up for what it believes in. I am proud of that.

Why dont u get off the fucking band wagon - anyone can shit on the pooor, criminals, uneducated, drug addicts etc - most pple odnt have alot of sympathy for these people - you dont need to further punish these people just to apppease the majority to score votes.

I wont punish the poor. I have a whole heap of ideas mate. In three years I am going to run for council. I want a crime prevention plan, my community run by the ALP have not responded with any plan. Our suburbs are the worst for crimes like assault in NSW and we have no plan. We are not in the Community Builders programme and they are simply putting more police out there. It's not enough.

you dont kick people when there down Its unaustralian.

No, what's Unaustralian is forgetting about them. Poverty does not lead to crime. No direct link has been established.

Why dont you come up wit6h something original instead of hiding behind ur political party - why dont you speak out about how our politicians are ruining this country - why dont you tell the truth - i know ur a relatively intelligent guy - you should infiltrate our government and destroy it.

I respect people mate. Even the ALP. If people elect a government, we should have some faith. I will tell you, I agree with some things Bob Carr does. I have my opinion and my party respects everyone's opinion. The Liberals are a party that promote diverse opinion, the ALP doesn't. The ALP pioneered the 'caucus' idea that restricts the ability of its members to speak out against its party in parliament.

Australia deserves better.

We always do.

the only decent politican was pauline hansen - she was fucked over by our govenrment - what happened there why was she let offf? did our government go on which hunt to remove the competition?

She was good. Unethical though. And had a record of not following electoral rules. I do feel for her, and I believe she has a lot of support. Again I note she had some excellent ideas.

If you ever get into proper politics etc? would you let me write a few speaches for you?

Mate, no one has ever written a speech for me, and no one ever will. My words are mine. If a person can't make the link between thought and rhetoric, let them not speak.

Jonathan A

HSC
tattoodguy said:
its ok for ur government to murder civilians but since its iraqies killing an aussie you have a problem.
I am not hiding behind law. You are using words like 'murder' which are legal phrases.

Australians who you say murdered iraqies, were actually 'murdering' the enemy who have also murdered millions of their own and Kurds in the most herendous attacks known to humanity. Wood is an innocent person helping re-build the country, and these militants who have captured him resort to innocent people because they are gutless. They attack journalists, civilians and visitors.

they have more right to kill him, than our government does to killl iraqies in iraq.
No, there are certain international laws in place. Military problems are taken under a different branch of Martial Law.

isnt he aiding and abetting america and the coalition - to me thats a crime.

the key point is 'to me'. No judge would care. To me, that's what counts.

i eat monkeys

HSC
Seraph said:
thought u said middle eastern

also lakemba and cabramatta are the no.1 spots for mugging

that is all/

because youve lived in those areas to know that? a few people i know that live in cabramatta get stabbed by seringes daily, had all their money stolen and we mustn't forget that the asian population have eaten all the dogs.

honestly i sometimes i am overwhelmed by the narrowminded stereotypical people that exist and continue to blind us with their arrogance.

if a white middle aged mum pulled out a maschette and decapitated an aboriginal, im pretty confident that her racial information will not be disclosed. as for targetting racial minority groups it saddens me to think that the general ideology is that if a few people commit crimes then ALL of that race are all guilty. every single syllable written contradicts each other. i dont quite understand what your trying to highlight, that you pity the people that are persecuted or that you are a racist hypocrit who repudiates the former by suggesting the need for the intorduction of capital punishment.

oh and just as a note, death penalty is useless because it doesnt serve as a detterent as proven by statistics which suggest that murder is committed on the spir of the moment.

take care

m_isk

HSC
N/A
wow. I am absolutely stunned by some of the stuff being said here. I sincerely hop this does not reflect the perceptions of wider Australian (whatever that means...so confused now) society. Tatoo dude, get out and see the world my friend, and you will see immigrants other than those on the news....or were you waiting for a story about the lebanese boy who stopped a brawl between "abos" and "wogs" down at Lakemba?
And as for the Indigenous Australians and others having the "right" to commit crimes, well that lead me straight to your profile to check your age. Couldn't believe it.

mahuligan

HSC
i eat monkeys said:
if a white middle aged mum pulled out a maschette and decapitated an aboriginal, im pretty confident that her racial information will not be disclosed.
haha as if they wouldnt - it would be a great device for today tonight to get more ratings.

i eat monkeys said:
as for targetting racial minority groups it saddens me to think that the general ideology is that if a few people commit crimes then ALL of that race are all guilty.
hopefully that isnt the general ideology. i guess it just comes down to individual ignorance and what the media presents to the public. If someone doesnt really have much contact with a particular minority group and are
constantly hearing about crimes people from that group commit, obviously theyre going to have warped views about them.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
mahuligan said:
hopefully that isnt the general ideology. i guess it just comes down to individual ignorance and what the media presents to the public. If someone doesnt really have much contact with a particular minority group and are
constantly hearing about crimes people from that group commit, obviously theyre going to have warped views about them.
the problem is that there are the social/racial/economic groupings as to where you live in sydney. just like any city (duh) and thus people don't interact with one another as much as they should. the media knows and exploits this by including racial identification for crimes committed by certain groups.
the media is not accountable, and in cases, used this distance to fuel ethnic tension. for example, im a croat, and i was shocked by the phrase used across 7/9/10 during those hooliganish events at the soccer that the conflict between Serbs and Croats was "an ancient hatred".... which is a load of shit because Croats and Serbs, for hundreds of years, were on friendly terms, and there was no such thing as the great division of races that occured during the breakup of Yugoslavia.
In the end, if you think about it, the uneducated masses who turn to the main streams of commercial news networks for their news and information are basically slaves to the source, not questioning the material presented, and are the most dangerous group in society.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
ah happens sometimes...lol i go to school in the bankstown area so i would know what ur talking about and it aint a pretty site

get_born

azzie said:
the problem is that there are the social/racial/economic groupings as to where you live in sydney. just like any city (duh) and thus people don't interact with one another as much as they should. the media knows and exploits this by including racial identification for crimes committed by certain groups.
the media is not accountable, and in cases, used this distance to fuel ethnic tension. for example, im a croat, and i was shocked by the phrase used across 7/9/10 during those hooliganish events at the soccer that the conflict between Serbs and Croats was "an ancient hatred".... which is a load of shit because Croats and Serbs, for hundreds of years, were on friendly terms, and there was no such thing as the great division of races that occured during the breakup of Yugoslavia.
In the end, if you think about it, the uneducated masses who turn to the main streams of commercial news networks for their news and information are basically slaves to the source, not questioning the material presented, and are the most dangerous group in society.
i totally agree :)

MuffinMan

HSC
yeh i hate it when they accuse lebs for what happens in bankstown and asians at cabra etc etc etc... just a load of rubbish

mahuligan

HSC
azzie said:
very well said. i agree with you though..i dont think the media purposely aims to descriminate against particular races but when you put an ignorant person infront of a tv showing some lebs or asians doing a horrible crime, theyre obviously going to get the wrong idea.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I was pretty much disgusted at the whole old-lady-being-stabbed thing. It just proves how low people can be. I hope the guy gets caught and I agree with whoever mentioned the public embarressment and torture.

I think the whole mention of the guy being Middle Eastern shows racism to an extent; yeah it could help catch the a-hole, but then again Lakemba is bascially a Middle-Eastern dominant suburb anyway..

MuffinMan

HSC
azzie said:
what sources do u use?

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
what sources do u use?
i pick and choose. independant media, bbc world service, deutchewelle etc. i read the australian, fin review etc but i always think about what im reading or viewing and question why so and so says what about which issue.

MuffinMan

HSC
azzie said:
i pick and choose. independant media, bbc world service, deutchewelle etc. i read the australian, fin review etc but i always think about what im reading or viewing and question why so and so says what about which issue.
i scab smh from school :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)