balancing HSC and job (1 Viewer)

how many hours of work (job) do/did you do per week during your HSC year?

• 0, I dont/didnt have a job

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • 1~5

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • 6~10

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 11~15

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • 16~20

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • more

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

ZJ NingNing

HSC
Everyone kept telling me not to spend too much time on a job in the HSC year, but how much is too much? I tutor 2 girls maths and the actually tutoring time is about 1 or 2 hours a week but I usually spend about 4 more hours every week preparing for the lessons. I am also thinking about getting 98+ for an UAI, well, is 5 hours every week too much to spend on a job in this case? how many hours of work (job) do you do and what UAI do you think you will get?

(I am sorry, I deleted the last thread and started again cos my survey was a bit retarded)

cal-

Banned
HSC
Under 10 hours is nothing. I do 9 and I cope with everything just fine, the money is great and it's good to have something other than school work to do (even though my job sucks ass).

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Used to do 5 hours on a Saturday but I've stopped- I really need the time.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i dont have a 'job' but people pay me to play tennis with them
so i make a fair bit of cash

but i think a job is fine for anyone

maybe missing a few weeks later in the year towards out actual HSC may be a good idea but until then money=:)

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
I do up to 15, my job is pretty darn flexible in rostering though so it's easy to get out of work or leave early when I need extra time.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
10 hours or less per week is easy enough. I had 5 days of school followed by two days of work (9-6). When I needed a break, my manager gave me the Sunday shift and then prior to and through the hsc exams I took a few months off. :)

ZJ NingNing

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I had a job that did 4 hours on a sat and sun. I agree you need some time off your studies, but when i had my job, it took my time off my friends!

So if you need the cash, take a light and simple job, but try to make special arrangements so you have time for just about everything, most importantly your studies.

I believe:
1. Study
2. Friends and sport
3. Job

are my priorities. I would try to always structure work that way.
I agree with you, friends should definitely come before jobs.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I know. I told my work I would only do 1 shift a week because I needed to study which is true but the fact is, I need time for my friends. most of my friends aren't even at my school so the weekends are my only chance. When you're working 14 hours on the weekend it ruins your social life. say no!

bassistx

HSC
Cait, I think you mean "told my boss" lol.
I haven't worked since I was like 14. If I worked now, I wouldn't even be able to get up in the morning to go to school (let alone study etc).
It just depends on how well you personally manage it, everyone's different. You could always cut back your hours...

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
during my hsc year, i only did one shift a week in retail. seldomly, 2 shifts if they were desperate and i was okay with keeping up with hw assessments etc. but every now and then i'd take weeks off, i.e. during trials and such things.

it's definitely manageable, you just gotta prioritise, quit procrastinating (or less of it) and be more efficient.

Last edited:

cal-

Banned
HSC
Honestly your best bet is to get Sunday shifts. It works great, especially if you usually go out on Saturday night.

Typically you'll still feel drunk on Sunday morning, although it sucks to get up by 12, you wouldn't have done any school work anyway, and you can go and get at least $15/hour for walking around doing nothing.

Win-win.

If you need tips on avoiding work, how to look like you're working when you're actually on your phone, avoiding customers and flat out being a terrible employee without getting fired, just ask me.

Last edited:

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
I dont know why everyone worries so much about working. I worked roughly 15+ hours/week all of year 12, and worked during the hsc as well. You need sometime to break up the study and earn some money. And to those who say u need to spend time with friends, believe it or not, you actually make friends at a job, so you can spend time with them while earning money. I got a decent UAI, and i have had friends who worked the same as me, if not some more and got 85+ UAI's. If you want a job get one now. Then come the hsc u can afford to take time off. Also another advantage of getting on now is that after the hsc u can go into almost full time work (meaning a lot more hours) while the other hsc leavers are all applying to the same jobs.

If you want a job, get one. If you dont, dont.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
ZJ NingNing said:
Everyone kept telling me not to spend too much time on a job in the HSC year, but how much is too much? I tutor 2 girls maths and the actually tutoring time is about 1 or 2 hours a week but I usually spend about 4 more hours every week preparing for the lessons. I am also thinking about getting 98+ for an UAI, well, is 5 hours every week too much to spend on a job in this case? how many hours of work (job) do you do and what UAI do you think you will get?

(I am sorry, I deleted the last thread and started again cos my survey was a bit retarded)
Well, tutoring other people helps you to drill the material into your own head.

bubbly89

HSC
Scientifically speaking, any job that takes more then 10 hours a week is going to be detrimental to your studies.

I didn't have a job during year 12, but I was co-curricular queen, I also did mass amounts of volunteering and if anything it was nice to be able to have some work which I could do and it not be perfect, to not have this constant "excel" thing going on.

I can name about 6 people who had jobs during the HSC and still got above 98, basically during the weeks leading up to the major exams they just didn't work, they used the time to study. A lot of people found that it helped them with time management.

Plus tutoring is pretty flexible kind of work, I'm sure you'll be fine.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
i worked between 12 and 15 hours a week in the first term of year 12 and i quit. was a good move. half of it was not having time to do all my school work but the other half was just being too tired when i got home. i reckon its how flexible your work is - if u can just work as much as u think u can and u can cut your hours back or get time off when u have assessments then i think u can work the whole way through. just depends how lazy u are lol

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
bubbly89 said:
Scientifically speaking, any job that takes more then 10 hours a week is going to be detrimental to your studies.
Yeah no truth to this. I would like to see the studies that prove this. ALmost all my friends worked. We all did fine. When you get to uni as well, people (generally speaking) work more than 10 hours a week. Their studies are fine. Its called setting a study routine. You just work around when you work.

Roga

HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year and I just started my job at Woolies in November 2007. Since the start of school this year, I asked my manager that I should focus on my studies. I then changed from permanent part time (10hrs+/week) to casual (3hrs/week). It's great because I get more money and even though I'm still working, it allows me greater flexibility for study and also focus on something else instead of just cramming knowledge in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)