Band 2 in General mathematics 2 to Engineering (1 Viewer)

MrMaster

HSC
I Have completed my HSC in 2018, I have been currently working in IT since I graduated year 12 with a ATAR of 55. I have been interested in how computer hardware works from a circuit level for a while now, so I wanna pursue a my interest in this field. I just want to know would I be able to handle the maths in this degree, if I did gain entry as a mature aged student in: Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Electronic and Computer Engineering from Griffith University. If I received a mid band 2 in General mathematics 2?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Could you do some certificates/learning at TAFE for mathematics before starting the course? As well as do bridging courses for 2/3/4 units worth of mathematics.

What was your attitude to mathematics in highschool?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Computer engineering isn't far off electrical engineering which is one of the math heavier engineering majors.

If you want to do engineering (but especially electrical), you'd have to buckle down and improve at maths and fill in your gaps. You'd need a reasonable grasp of 2U and 3U maths to succeed at engineering.

At an absolute minimum you would want to do a 2U and 3U bridging course or equivalent, but I'm not sure a fast paced course that skims over the whole syllabus will suffice given your general mathematics results to be honest. I don't know about Griffith, but many universities have the equivalent of a 2U/3U bridging course that can be taken prior to first year maths over a whole semester. That (or intentional, dedicated) study at home would be advisable.

klmtutor

HSC
N/A
Having only achieved a Band 2 in General Maths you will find a bridging course will move way too fast. Griffith University offers a one semester Tertiary Preparation program which would be more appropriate.

StudyOnly

HSC
Having only achieved a Band 2 in General Maths you will find a bridging course will move way too fast. Griffith University offers a one semester Tertiary Preparation program which would be more appropriate.
Unless of course, you didn't try at all/had other issues during HSC year. Try self teaching for a bit YouTubers such as Eddie Woo cover 2U, 3U content really well. Then make the decision if you want to do a bridging course or not (you will probably need it do engineering right?). If you want it bad enough and work hard enough, then you will be able to do it. :)

MONONYMOUS

HSC
I agree

MrMaster

HSC
Could you do some certificates/learning at TAFE for mathematics before starting the course? As well as do bridging courses for 2/3/4 units worth of mathematics.

What was your attitude to mathematics in highschool?
Shit, I got an band 2 for the easiest maths courses (General maths) for the HSC

MrMaster

HSC
If I can't handle the maths in Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Electronic and Computer Engineering from Griffith University, would there be any TAFE courses that allows be to play around with analogue and digital electronics?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)