• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Basic help with Car Audio (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm inclined to trust a third party professional installer purely because they can guarantee their work (ie. provide a warranty)- if I do it and I screw up, then that's my money done the drain.

Maybe once my car is out of warranty i'll start to DIY. Thanks for the instructions though loquasagacious- I'm sure they'll help other ppl :)

HSC
loquasagacious said:
DIY = piss easy as it seems we're talking just an amp+sub+wiring:
haha. thanks for the run down mate..
but i think ill leave it to the folks at strathfield..since they have a lifetime warranty on installations
heading down there today to pick out my gear.

alexxxz

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
anyone know of a cheaper place to get my stuff installed?
strathfield radio is $120
thats so expensive! $20 to do it yourself... not even!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder if Stratty installations are insured... my Dad wants me to go to this place in Parra where they are insured, but the sub/amp is gonna be $1150 for the Rockport Fosgate Amp and Punch P2 Sub plus all the wiring kits and the converters for my Honda deck. ><

HSC
thats so expensive! $20 to do it yourself... not even!
yeah i know:mad1:
but i managed to knock off $20..yippy. so its now $100

I wonder if Stratty installations are insured... my Dad wants me to go to this place in Parra where they are insured, but the sub/amp is gonna be $1150 for the Rockport Fosgate Amp and Punch P2 Sub plus all the wiring kits and the converters for my Honda deck. ><
shit man..you went all out on your subs/amps!!
what does it give out?

i got everything (pioneer amp + xplod sony 12" sub + amp kit + install) for only $478
my subs a little under powered (300W bridged amp vs 380W sub), but ill live....and not that ill be putting it on full blast anyway

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My Dad likes this shop because they said they are fully insured and are official installers for Trivett or something... I don't know the specs, but they said it's American gear and the quality was amazing when I heard it today.

www.lifestylestore.com.au <-- that's the place.

As for your install, could you provide a few more details (where you got it done for example) because I think $1000+ is a bit over the top when all i want is a bit more bass >__> Might get the Pioneer subwoofer (Stratty got it on special for $120 atm I think- no case)

HSC
i got a booking for tuesday to get my gear installed...
details..?
um..its installed at stratty, the same place where i bought the stuff..
cost: $120 ..you coudl probably negotiate that depending on what gear you get..or in my case..i stressed my budget limit and the guy was cool with it

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll wait until you get yours all done and then hear what you hve to say about it :)

I know I need to get a few other things in order for it to work with my Honda deck-

8gu power kit with rca
Alpine 4311 rca converter

... so it might end up costing me more ><

HSC
yeah, im not sure about my factory deck ...i hope its got RCA in/out, or else, ill have to fork out another ~30, or ~70 for good quality converters..
ringing up my dealer tomorrow probably.

ps. my sub barely fits in my boot...another 1/2 a cm in length and it wouldnt have fit :eek:
and i wont be screwing/bolting it on since its like a perfect fit, plus i need access to the tools/spare tyre underneath (not that i have a spare tyre anymore..)

7th Sign

HSC
I guess 100 is ok if you dont want to mess around with shit...which can be annoying sometimes....

Just wotch the strathfield people its good if your stuff is installed by one who knows what their doing, this local strathfiel lwt the young kids who work their do the installs this do dodgey jobs most of the time, this kid i know had to get the whole system re done because of them lol...guess if you get it doen right by a older worker eho knows their shit your cheering...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's my exact concern 7th Sign.

This Lifestyle Store I visited today, whilst expensive, the guys there seem to know their shit (and they are old). Their website featuring cars they've done (Lambos, Porsche, Aston, etc...) gives me the impression that they are pretty trustworthy compared to Stratty Car Radios.

HSC
i had a check of the guys doing the installations at straty, they all seem to know their stuff, and there was one guy, who was at least in his 50s, overlooking all the installations.
and there were no people under mid-high 20s

and as you can see...it barely squeezed in..:eek:

7th Sign

HSC
seremify007 said:
That's my exact concern 7th Sign.

This Lifestyle Store I visited today, whilst expensive, the guys there seem to know their shit (and they are old). Their website featuring cars they've done (Lambos, Porsche, Aston, etc...) gives me the impression that they are pretty trustworthy compared to Stratty Car Radios.

lifestyle is good ....also maby fhrx installs...

but their both very costly...but do a real good job...

Qlimax

HSC
Dude,
you drive a new car.. installing a sound system would void any electrical warantee that is covered by your manufacturer..
2 your civic is 4 speaker as said by ciel
3 your deck is inbuilt.. it would cost you much more than your simple 500 dollar budget to replace a sound system for that
speakers = speakers
subs = a speaker that delivers only bass
tweeters are small speakers delivering treble.. this is your voice and higher pitched noise
5. if you ever choose to do your system my recommendations are

1 sub, 2 would have too much bass
no tweeters, they would require to make holes in your NEW civic and actually depreciate the value of your car
grab 3way or 4way 6 inches for your car.

actually, you don't even need bass.. and your deck is not replacable as with the older generation civics. (well you can replace it with a different one, but i can imagine the costs would be high)

I'm quite sure that the specs on the civics are 4 x 6.5" speakers... the deck that comes with the new civic should deliver enough power.. so by simply changing your speakers with 3way or 4way speakers, you should be improving the sound quality a great deal!.

that way..

installation would settle you around $150 professionally done at strathfield car for new civics

2 sets of speakers would settle you around 130 each set
so yeah.. it should reach your budget..

as for all your other information with amplifiers.. you really don't need them..
if you wanna change the system.. save up around 2000 for your new car.

hope this answers your questions and ta ta.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My budget has been extended to $1k btw- but I think I'll wait a bit and think it through :)

Btw, do you know what the grills near my windshield are for then? They aren't the air con sensor nor the air vents, so I'm wondering what they are... that's where the Lifestyle guy said were the Tweeters :S

Thanks again for your advice :) You seem to know your shit (well at least more than what I know anyway).

Mr Will

HSC
Qlimax said:
Dude,
you drive a new car.. installing a sound system would void any electrical warantee that is covered by your manufacturer..
2 your civic is 4 speaker as said by ciel
3 your deck is inbuilt.. it would cost you much more than your simple 500 dollar budget to replace a sound system for that
speakers = speakers
subs = a speaker that delivers only bass
tweeters are small speakers delivering treble.. this is your voice and higher pitched noise
5. if you ever choose to do your system my recommendations are

1 sub, 2 would have too much bass
no tweeters, they would require to make holes in your NEW civic and actually depreciate the value of your car
grab 3way or 4way 6 inches for your car.

actually, you don't even need bass.. and your deck is not replacable as with the older generation civics. (well you can replace it with a different one, but i can imagine the costs would be high)

I'm quite sure that the specs on the civics are 4 x 6.5" speakers... the deck that comes with the new civic should deliver enough power.. so by simply changing your speakers with 3way or 4way speakers, you should be improving the sound quality a great deal!.

that way..

installation would settle you around $150 professionally done at strathfield car for new civics

2 sets of speakers would settle you around 130 each set
so yeah.. it should reach your budget..

as for all your other information with amplifiers.. you really don't need them..
if you wanna change the system.. save up around 2000 for your new car.

hope this answers your questions and ta ta.

hmm...you should definately try engaging your brain before your fingers next time, as the bulk of what you just said is a load of crap.

installing aftermarket speakers does not void your warranty, thats just plain ludicrous

tweeters to not require holes. they are attached with special glue that is removable and will leave no marks on your car. also, tweeters are only useful if you have a crossover in the first place, otherwise they will just blow up.

by far the best option her is to buy a cheapish amp from jaycar (their 'response' series are quite good, around 100-200 watts, and use it to run a single 8 or 10' sub in a box. you will be able to get all this for under 500, and it will sound sweet - your midrange speakers will sound better because they are not trying to deliver bass as well as midrange and treble, and as long as your amp has a crossover (which the response series ones do) the sub will give you sweet sweet bass.

HSC
one of the sales dudes at strathfield told me that what you pay is what you get in amps and subs.
after reading the specs more carefully, i realised my sub wouldve been significantly underpowered, and essentially, i would only be using less than half the potentional of my sub.
150rms amp VS 380rms sub (i think in another one of my posts, i said 300w vs 380w :eek:)
anyway..im gonna exchange it and get an MTX mono bloc instead with 250rms.

Qlimax

HSC
If you change your deck/speakers it will void your sound system warantee mate..
i know for a fact because I have already asked..
I never pointed out that it will void the whole warantee (engine, body, ra ra ra)

Do you even know that the stock deck is able to handle an amp?
I know the Euro can, as my friend asked the dealer before he actually bought his car.
To add a new amp + speaker system.. you would bloody have to change the deck

Look at his console.. It's a stock deck.. if he wants to change it.. he would have to grab another deck and find a way to install a deck.. too much hassle..

if he cant change deck and he doesn't already have tweeters.. then his stock deck would not be able to support tweeters unless there is quite a lot of rewiring done at the back of the console..

ALSO.. and yes.. i am wrong about requiring to drill holes in car.. but that glue you're talking about.. once you leave it there for over 6 months.. in australian temperature.. it will set more into the leather/dash wherever you want to put them, (that glue fucked up my mates car because he didn't want holes.. now he has patches on the dash - good work)

seriously.. there is no need for tweeters if you have good speakers..
like i said..
grab good 3way/4way speakers.. your stock speakers are 2way.. where small cone delivers treble and outer area of the speaker delivers bass.. sound quality is no where near as good this way..
4 way speakers are the same thing as having tweeters... but it's on the speaker itself.. compare it yourself..
although sound quality will not be as good as having seperate splits, but it will be adequate..

replacing your average speaker higher quality will be the best way to improve sound quality.. cheapest way too if you cannot replace your deck.!!

if you had an older generation model where you can change the deck, then yeah.. go for the deck + subs + splits.. but you don't.. even that on the 02 - 05 civics cost around 250 for installation professionally done.. with splits.. + wiring and all that stuff.

If you want..
call up honda.. and ask them if the stock deck can support an amp!..
if it can!.. then yes.. go for the amp and grab a small sub..
most stock decks are not designed to be modified... so i dunno about this.

Mr Will

HSC
Qlimax said:
If you change your deck/speakers it will void your sound system warantee mate..
i know for a fact because I have already asked..
I never pointed out that it will void the whole warantee (engine, body, ra ra ra)

Do you even know that the stock deck is able to handle an amp?
I know the Euro can, as my friend asked the dealer before he actually bought his car.
To add a new amp + speaker system.. you would bloody have to change the deck

Look at his console.. It's a stock deck.. if he wants to change it.. he would have to grab another deck and find a way to install a deck.. too much hassle..

if he cant change deck and he doesn't already have tweeters.. then his stock deck would not be able to support tweeters unless there is quite a lot of rewiring done at the back of the console..

ALSO.. and yes.. i am wrong about requiring to drill holes in car.. but that glue you're talking about.. once you leave it there for over 6 months.. in australian temperature.. it will set more into the leather/dash wherever you want to put them, (that glue fucked up my mates car because he didn't want holes.. now he has patches on the dash - good work)

seriously.. there is no need for tweeters if you have good speakers..
like i said..
grab good 3way/4way speakers.. your stock speakers are 2way.. where small cone delivers treble and outer area of the speaker delivers bass.. sound quality is no where near as good this way..
4 way speakers are the same thing as having tweeters... but it's on the speaker itself.. compare it yourself..
although sound quality will not be as good as having seperate splits, but it will be adequate..

replacing your average speaker higher quality will be the best way to improve sound quality.. cheapest way too if you cannot replace your deck.!!

if you had an older generation model where you can change the deck, then yeah.. go for the deck + subs + splits.. but you don't.. even that on the 02 - 05 civics cost around 250 for installation professionally done.. with splits.. + wiring and all that stuff.

If you want..
call up honda.. and ask them if the stock deck can support an amp!..
if it can!.. then yes.. go for the amp and grab a small sub..
most stock decks are not designed to be modified... so i dunno about this.

you are talking absolute shit. changing your sound system will not void your warranty unless you physically take apart the head unit, which you wont be doing.

and in terms of "handling an amp"....you are completely mixed up in your understanding. the signal going to the amp is just a regular audio signal, it puts no additional load on the headunit.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE HEADUNIT TO ADD A SUB/AMP/CHANGE THE SPEAKERS.

this 'rewiring' that you refer to - what you obviously dont understand is that these things called CROSSOVERS exist - they are used so that tweeters/subs can be added to systems which would not normally have outputs specifically for them. all this "fair bit of rewiring at the back of the console" is bullshit.

has your mate heard of armourall? its a car cleaning product, he should try it. once the tweeters come off, you clean the patch where they were...voila, no more patch.

4 way speakers are NOT the same as having tweeters - the most important thing about tweeters is that they are more directional than midrange or subs, so they need to be correctly orientated, ie not in your door.

i have tried to find something in your post that was correct...and i did "its a stock deck" congratulations on having eyes.

Qlimax

HSC
do whatever you want, see what happens.

if can add an amp and add subs, it's his choice.. if you want to find this out for sure..
just go ask someone from JB hi-fi or Strathfield, and get it professionally done.

with that glue.. and armourall.. how the hell would that be able to fix a patch of his dash being taken off by the glue??? have you ever thought that there would be different brands of glue? so maybe if you can specify the one YOU would recommend to him.. then go for it!.

If you want to risk so much shit into a new car.. then do whatever you want!

giving my advice, no need to fucking put my fucking advice down you fucking piece of turd

get yourself a fucking attitude fix up and stop being a fag

Also look at loquasagacious's DIY
1)Remove trim from centre console, passenger footwell and steps at the bottom of the doorframe.

2)Connect wiring to the HU(head unit) - RCA->RCA, blue turn-on to ignition.

3)Pop bonnet locate where the wiring loom passes through the firewall, pull rubber shroud away, pass power cable through hole and shroud.

You would already have to take apart your console right there to run the RCA cables through,

this is the proper way of doing it! and this is what strathfield/JB Hifi would do anyway.. + they give you like a 5 year warantee on it anyway!!.. so that would replace the warantee from the manufacturer.

He would require rewiring on the fucking stock deck too..
READ
quoted by sere- "I wonder if Stratty installations are insured... my Dad wants me to go to this place in Parra where they are insured, but the sub/amp is gonna be $1150 for the Rockport Fosgate Amp and Punch P2 Sub plus all the wiring kits and the converters for my Honda deck. ><

There is rewiring that is required for the stock honda deck!..

I wouldn't recommend DIY due to it being only what.. 1 months old max?

fucking moron - get an attitude change you fucking fag, have an opinion? GIVE IT OUT MATURELY.. Or is this the way you talk to everyone? I'd be amazed if you can go up to a total random on the street and say your stupid for doing this, or your all bullshit for doing that.

and oh yeah.. congratulations for being the fucking biggest dickhead in this forums that i've seen so far

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)