Bass players unite! (ripoff of trumpeters unite :D) (1 Viewer)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
trumpet geek said:
i would like to contribute to this bass players thread! Hehehe. Yeah i used to play a bit of bass once upon a time back in those junior high school days when i was in a rock band and stuff... anyway i would just like to say that the bass is always the most important in a band because its the lowest instrument therefore people have to adjust their tuning to them and also in big bands and stuff you can play without a drummer, but you cant play without a bass cos otherwise people wont be able to improvise cos they need a ground to stand on... if you know what i mean... so yeah bass players are not allowed to play out of tune... too many rock bands these days play way too loud and all they care about is playing as loud as they can and they dont care about tuning and seriuosly it sounds awful when you listen to it.... so yeah ok ill shut up and go back to my trumpet thread!!
nono, don't shut up!
you supported us and we LUV you for that :)
you rock my little ex-bass guitarist!

i heard a person rip on bass players today on the big arvo (don't ask me WHY i was watching it...)
this guy was interviewing a band without a bass player and he said "So you guys don't have a bass player... that must bring up your band IQ automatically!"
i'm in the process of writing him a letter bomb.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh oh oh i saw some band .... was it the white stripes? like they have that chick drummer and a guy guitar/vocals and they dont have a bass player - therye sHIT! how can you play without a bass player seriously! Like yeah well most rock bands these days are like carbon copies and they all sound the same but like the fact that they dont have a bass player makes them sound different but like.... talk about thinness of texture!!!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol, how ironic, their songs are based on repetitive bass lines that gets in your head!
everytime i walk into the music building, i hear at least one year 7/year8 kid playing seven nation army... that was a good song, UNTIL THE KIDDIES RUINED IT!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh especially after my brother tries to play stuff on his guitar - it just ruins everything!!!!

HSC
Hey Guys
My Musicman is the SUB one but it is still a Musicman but it is a very good bass i might add it plays awesome and has got a nice action and feel and produces a great tone.
Yeh my one i sall black with the aluminium bit in the middle but yeh im saving up again for a stingray 5 string maybe not to sure yet, bit low on the finances at the moment but its all good.

BTW the SUB basses are fully manufactured and put together in California so yeh dont worry about the production being in mexico so yeh there good go out and buy one if u cant afford the stingray model or the other models out there.

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
trumpet geek said:
oh especially after my brother tries to play stuff on his guitar - it just ruins everything!!!!
lol! how annoying... but i reckon it'd be nice to have a brother who can play music. my sister is so music-illiterate, she played flute for 2 years and i'm better than her and i taught myself! :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i think i'd like a warwick rockbass, they're not too bad for a cheaper alternative to warwick basses...i had a look at one last year when i was getting my new bass, but i'll have to look again. i want a new bass! :D

Bassgoddess

hey guys
ima bass player too, but i'm relatively new to the bass scene
what songs you guys like playin?
i like pretty basic rock stuff, like punk songs but i wanna learn some stuff that's not easy :)
what do you recommend for a beginnner evolving into intermediate?

HSC
BASS PLAYERS DO IT WITH RHYTHM.

Bass players here - what are you guys doing next year (if you're just finishing yr 12 or been out for a while)? Where I live there's a shit load of classical music courses and places - not my scene. There's a lot of music engineering courses - not my scene.

I'm investing in some private weekly tuition as I've always done, I'm hoping now the hsc shit is over I'll be able to concentrate on what I want - ie bass bass and more bass. maybe some drums too :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
most unis only accept classical instruments like the con, and if you wanna do bass at uni, you'd most likely have to do jazz. some unis accept bass guitarists, like at southern cross. they have a contemporary music course which bassically (ha! a pun...) allows you to do whatever style of music you want. pity it's southern cross... :p

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i better take that back before i offend anyone.. :)
noel gallagher, (wow, it feels weird saying that) if you do want to do contemporary music at uni, think about southern cross. apparently it's a really good contemp. music course and the bass teacher is really good, i think his name is greg lyons?

HSC
haha, yeah it would feel weird talking to one of the snobbiest, arrogant guitarists in the world. Haha.

Oh yeah I applied for southern cross ... I think I'm sending in a video instead of doing an audition, because Im on schoolies during the audition period - I know I know pretty lame excuse, but I dont wanna be trudging 7 hours away from schoolies for a 10 minute audition then going back up... heh.

Im not that keen on it anywayz now - I've heard good and bad things about it, if I get in I'll probs defer for a semester, and have some serious tuition. Or I was thinking of applying for the Institute next yr... I have no idea ...

What are you doin Crikket?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol! schoolies is so much more important than uni :) i thought my auditions were on the same week as my schoolies too so i wasn't going to turn up for them... haha.

yeah, i'm auditioning for southern cross as well, seeing as i live near and i'll have no trouble transitioning :D but like you i'm not really going for it coz that means i'd have to stay in lismore! :s:s:s:s:s

go defer and think about it, i think. anyone else doing music at uni?

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i played bass all through-out music at my high school. got really good marks aswell. better then when i played piano.
i am currently saving my money to purchase a bass guitar and then once i get better, am looking to join a rock band. coz i want to be a rockstar!
but yeah, i really loved playing bass.
and because im doing pathways and my timetable has so many free spaces, i aloud to take up a prelim course next year, so im seeing if there any space in any of the music classes. and since i go to a performing arts school, i should get more pracs then from what i got at my other school.

HSC
Ok bass peeps! I've made my plan!

I'm scrapping going to uni or tafe or whatever altogether next year, 2005, and i'm going to practice bass like a mad bitch, getting lessons every week, doing heaps of theory and study by myself, with my teacher and maybe my dad.

I'm gonna form a band pretty soon, and continue with my friend to jam on his stuff, and hopefully get gigs around and get a name for myself.

Then in 2006 I'm going to the Institute of Music to do performance major in bass guitar, der, and im gonna do that 4 year course and go out into the music world.

God it feels good to get that sorted!

Cos recently I just realised that nothing at uni interests me, i could do an arts degree but it wouldnt interest me because I'd always be going back to bass and maing more time for bass, but not getting anywhere with bass.

Ah it all makes sense, and its partly thanks to my music buddy from schoolies! Getting drunk and talking to a muso friend about everything musical is good fun, i recommend everyone try it.

funkoncrack

HSC
I play bass and have for 6ish years now.

Here's some info:
Basses: Musicman Stingray 3 band eq, Ibanez BTB406 6 string, Samick P-bass copy and a random one I found in a cupboard at school.
Amp: Hartke 350w head with a quad and Hartke 15"

How do I react when people say bassists don't do anything?
I just ignore them.

My favourite bassist would have to be James Jamerson (go watch Standing in the Shadows of Motown)

I'm kind of in a band, we haven't played in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)