ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Gay hate gang blamed for trio's cliff plunge
March 9, 2005 - 5:18PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Victim .... Ross Warren.

Three gay men who died in Sydney's east were probably thrown off a cliff by violent gangs targeting homosexuals, a coroner found today.

Senior deputy NSW Coroner Jacqueline Milledge today labelled the police investigation into one of the cases as "grossly inadequate and shameful" saying officers lost crucial evidence that could have identified his killer.

Ms Milledge said police initially dismissed the deaths of Ross Warren and John Russell as accidental, and failed to investigate the disappearance of Frenchman Gilles Mattaini.

Although the men went missing near Marks Park, a popular gay beat at Tamarama, police failed to link the cases with similar attacks on gay men or consider the possibility of foul play, she said.

Mr Warren, a 25-year-old television newsreader with WIN Wollongong, went missing in July 1989.

Friends located his car near Marks Park and his keys in a rock pool at the bottom of a nearby cliff.

Mr Mattaini, 27, disappeared in 1985 while walking near Marks Park.

Only the body of Mr Russell, 31, was ever found - at the base of a cliff at Marks Park in November 1989.

Ms Milledge found Mr Warren and Mr Russell were murdered, but there was insufficient evidence to determine how Mr Mattaini died.

Although there were no suspects, police knew of "a number of gangs of youths that were systematically engaged in the assault and robbery of gay men in Marks Park and other areas", she said.

Four other gay men were murdered in Sydney's east between 1987 and 1990.

Many gay men bashed at Marks Park told police their attackers had threatened to throw them off the cliff, Ms Milledge said.

"There is no doubt that at the time of Mr Warren's and Mr Mattaini's disappearance and Mr Russell's death, that was a modus operandi of some gay hate assailants," she said.

"This strongly supports the probability that Mr Warren, Mr Mattaini and Mr Russell met their deaths this way."

Ms Milledge criticised initial police inquiries into Mr Warren's disappearance, which were closed within a week, as "grossly inadequate and shameful".

She also said it was "disgraceful" that police lost important evidence - a clump of hair likely ripped from an attacker - clutched in Mr Russell's hand.

Had police properly investigated the evidence they may have identified his killer, or at least realised he did not die accidentally, Ms Milledge said.

One witness told the inquest the gay community commonly thought police at the time did not consider gay victims a priority.

"In fact, some offences went unreported because it was felt that police would judge the victim and nothing would be achieved," Ms Milledge said.

She made 14 recommendations, including reintroducing the police Gay Liaison Officers in service training program and encouraging crime prevention strategies to minimise risk at gay beats.

Ms Milledge praised now-retired Detective Sergeant Stephen Page, who reopened the investigation in 2000, as "committed and abundantly talented".

Outside court, Mr Page said original police inquiries could have been handled better, but hoped suspects would still be identified.

"I think if we'd managed it a lot better back then, we wouldn't have been giving evidence before a coroner; it would have been before a jury and we would have had true finalisation for the families," he said.

AAP
Fuck i hope these bastards who commited these crimes burn in hell.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeh, one thing he should actually be complaining about

of course he won't.

PoeticDuck

HSC
i know some of it!!

or have a vague understanding....well i know enough to see violent criminals get away with their crimes all the time.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
PoeticDuck said:
i know some of it!!

or have a vague understanding....well i know enough to see violent criminals get away with their crimes all the time.
'mitigating factors'

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Why would Brogden open his mouth. Wasn't the Liberal party in power during that time period?

Comrade nathan

HSC
Xayma said:
Why would Brogden open his mouth. Wasn't the Liberal party in power during that time period?
Don't know, my mistake then.

But for some reason it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

S

Sheehan :)

I wish i could feel sorry for gay ppl....but its not happenning.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
ahh, isnt it true that if a gay man hits on another gay man, its a partial defence if the straight fella off's him? i didnt red the article, but yeah

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
if they werent gay they wouldnt have to worry about being beaten up. it's elementary

Abbeygale

HSC
sped_kid01 said:
ahh, isnt it true that if a gay man hits on another gay man, its a partial defence if the straight fella off's him? i didnt red the article, but yeah
I very much doubt that the 'gay panic' defense gets much credence nowadays.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Abbeygale said:
I very much doubt that the 'gay panic' defense gets much credence nowadays.
I don't know of it's situation in Australia but 'gay panic' defence in the USA (where it is most famous) never has applied to a homosexual hitting on another homosexual but required advancing onto the perputator. Acquittals were very very rare (I don't know of any) but it occasionaly got a reduced sentence (Murder to Manslaughter)

I wonder if the reverse could work, if a woman hit on a gay man whether it would be mitigating circumstances if he off'ed her.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PoeticDuck said:
...i know enough to see violent criminals get away with their crimes all the time.
But you have no idea of the complexities of the case, all you see is the verdict and whatever facts the news report gives you

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Probably the least insane thing you've ever said grag.

grag balbrady said:
if they werent gay they wouldnt have to worry about being beaten up. it's elementary

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Just coz their gay doesnt meen that they should be moving targets. How would u like it if everytime u walked down the street you were always scared that someone will bash you up?? Its fucking crazy. Its just that these fucked up ppl think differently to us - they can't just be like "wow their homosexual .. so wat? they aren't hurting me so its ok?" As a straight guy i find this fucked up - how can u kill someone else over such a small stupid thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)