• Total voters

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Excel VS Macquarie

Battle of the Study Guides.

Which one do you prefer?

-VOTE-

Yes I know they each have their pros and cons.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
dont have either, but macquarie cover looks better lol. excel book covers look like no brand.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
depends on the subject, eg bio = macquaire is better
but then there are some subjects like english where they are good for plot summaries
and others like geography its good to have both cause Excel is good for skills and Macquaire is good for info. So i can't really vote

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Excel is better in physics and with improved version, chem.

I don't know about other subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Our teacher said that Excel is written for the wider market, i.e. targets the band 3-4 range
whereas Maquarie tries to reach into the band 4-5 market...

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Our teacher said that Excel is written for the wider market, i.e. targets the band 3-4 range
lol then macquarie phys is an epic failure coz excel phys is more attractive than macquarie phys in terms of content coz excel is more comprehensive.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I have used both brands of study guides and Excel and Maquarie are good in their own respect.
I agree that the Excel Physics study guide was definitely more appealing to read, despite those outdated links.
However the Maquarie Chemistry study guide was more concise than the Excel version.
The quality varies from subject to subject.

But I never got a single Band 4 or less.

lol then macquarie phys is an epic failure coz excel phys is more attractive than macquarie phys in terms of content coz excel is more comprehensive.
Neville Warren writes a mean ass good study guide for Physics.

excel is for bogans who have no hope and buy the book a week before the hsc in a state of panic.
Disregard this fool's post.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I really had a very hard decision to make... as I like using both and of course each has its own pros and cons to it! >< In the end I elected Excel since it's better for Physics and the maths :)

Macquarie is good for SOR though ^^

Tough choice.

shady145

Banned
HSC
I really had a very hard decision to make... as I like using both and of course each has its own pros and cons to it! >< In the end I elected Excel since it's better for Physics and the maths :)

Macquarie is good for SOR though ^^

Tough choice.
the new excel physics is appealing... i dnt have maquarie but my friend does and he prefers maquarie, reason: its smaller...lol

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
the new excel physics is appealing... i dnt have maquarie but my friend does and he prefers maquarie, reason: its smaller...lol
I have the newest Prelim Physics and purchasing the HSC ones soon (hopefully I can get used ones for cheaper somewhere)... and it's very good. Prelim chemistry sucks I reckon... although i will go through it and extract what is good before the exam.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
i bought the MX2 excel and it was totally useless
Yea? Alright, I was trying to decide whether it was any good. The Excel 2U and 3U books are alright... (2U is a little basic/easy though) and the 3U Excel has some interesting/challenging examples.

Do you recommend any particular book for MX2? I have Fitz and not really sure if I like it.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Yea? Alright, I was trying to decide whether it was any good. The Excel 2U and 3U books are alright... (2U is a little basic/easy though) and the 3U Excel has some interesting/challenging examples.

Do you recommend any particular book for MX2? I have Fitz and not really sure if I like it.
"You" suggests that you've asked Dumbledore but I'll answer too anyway.
Excel 4unit author (S.K.Patel) had written a smaller but thicker blue book, which, I think, just says Maths Extension 2 (not sure).
That one is pretty thorough.
Cambridge is good too.

I used combination of both.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
"You" suggests that you've asked Dumbledore but I'll answer too anyway.
Excel 4unit author (S.K.Patel) had written a smaller but thicker blue book, which, I think, just says Maths Extension 2 (not sure).
That one is pretty thorough.
Cambridge is good too.

I used combination of both.
Thanks for that :)

I'll add them down and decide which ones I prefer.

Tistime345

HSC
yo they all suck, just buy a coroneos past papers book and learn how they do the question, thats the path to success, i should know

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Excel for sciences.
Macquarie for humanities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)