BB/HR students alert (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
so the interview went okay... i think, it was fun actually :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
sukiyaki said:
:eek:! wow a fun interview

good luck anne i hope you get it!
lol i don't either way

it only pays 14 something an hour .. when they told me my face fell lol and they asked if it would be a problem, i said no ... i dont think they believed me

mserica

HSC
Look on the bright side the minimum wage is 12.75 an hour.... so they pay above!!!

- Would you take it if you were offered the role?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Far out, $14!? Thats terrible pay! I really do not like companies who think they can pay you like that just because its "experience".... And its not like they dont have the funds to pay you a decent wage. You know how this would impact you psychologically - low self-efficacy etc etc... They should, at least, have it open to a salary review every 12 months.

And, its not even like the place is close to you, Anne! If you get it, you should demand a travel allowance! ;)

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I don't want to skew Anne's decision if she's offered the role, but $14 is... I got more than that in a retail position. On the other hand, they pay 'badly' at Maccas, but it's well recognised... (if you capitalise on the experience well, and go in the right directions). Working in HR for siemens, I suppose, might be the same... but $14... Combined with 4 days a week, and the long hours Mserica mentioned... :eek:

mserica said:
Look on the bright side the minimum wage is 12.75 an hour.... so they pay above!!!
Which instrument dictates the $12.75? Are you referring to the new workchoices legislation (ie the "standard")? -- $12.75 is what they'd have to give to someone working in McDonalds putting lettuce on hamburgers. The idea is that companies pay above this for staff who're better trained/qualified... if they don't, basic economics would say the position won't be filled, or mightn't be adequately filled (ie pay them $12 and have a lettuce-handler runnig your HR department). Further, I'd imagine Siemens would have an agreement of sorts which is still in force, dictating the rates. I'd imagine $14-something would be pretty close, if not the minimum they pay for the role.

Objectively, $14 is... Well...I'd find it hard to look on the bright side, from the perspective of a $18/hour+ (which I thought was average!), no-stress, easygoing HR position.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
mserica said:
- Would you take it if you were offered the role?
Shouldn't the question be: If you knew the pay was $14 p/h, would you apply?

Sorry, not to 'gang up' on you or anything, its just that Skittled and I have been talking about it - we enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeah 14 bucks an hour! :S:S...

The interview was fun and everything went really well, with lots of laughs and teasing (teasing of me that is lol! and the financial department), the interviewer was friggen hilarious lol they talked about a second interview with all the HR advisors/managers and stuff ... my other friend said his interview went for aroun 40 mins and he didn't get informed that there was a consecutive "round", mine went for over an hour, so im thinking the interview went really well and they told me they'de have an answer for me by the end of next week... not sure if this is a good sign or not, because having worked in recruitment before... people usually tell u straight off if you've made it to the second round but i guess they will need to do background/reference checks but mehhh.

I was the last person interviewed by the looks of it and i sort of asked them some unorthodox questions that turned the tables on them at the end i.e "so judging from this interview, what do you think my strengths and weaknesses are, and what concerns do you have that i need to clear up in order for me to be considered the top candidate"

LOL their answer was hilarious lol aww i love those women already!

The two people interviewing me asked how much i was getting now.. which is 17.75 and 24 an hour.... they looked at each other giving each other some knowing look which i suppose is "i doubt she will be happy with 14 an hour" ...

As for will i accept the position or not? ... I'll make that decision once i've reached that crossroad, i haven't even officially made it to the "second round" yet.

My instincts say yes i will accept this position ... my head says no

It's four days a week... 9:30-5:30 around.

Assuming its 14.70 (its 14 something)... i'll get around 470 a week.. GROSS after tax, thats around 330-340 a week. for working 32 hours. That is horrible! ... i would get gross $600+ working at kmart working those hours.

Also they expected me to work 3 days leading up to exams... but i said i'de be doing 2... i still have that one day at my other internship and 2 days at kmart.. im not working 3+1+2... 6 days leading up to exams! I'm willing to work 4 days but i'de have to cut my kmart shifts.

Having said that though, the place looks extremely intimidating... i had to wear a security tag just to get pass reception

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
MaryJane said:
Shouldn't the question be: If you knew the pay was $14 p/h, would you apply?

Sorry, not to 'gang up' on you or anything, its just that Skittled and I have been talking about it - we enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate :)
lol your right mj.. i wouldn't have applied if it was 14 something an hour!

I get more working labour type jobs in a warehouse!

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
clairegirl said:
...Having said that though, the place looks extremely intimidating... i had to wear a security tag just to get pass reception
Ohh! That changes everything! I'd so take that job. ;)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Skittled said:
lol

the place seems alright, i wouldn't mind working there... its only the pay thats troubling me .... i should have just have gone....."yes it would be a problem, that pay is horrible, i'de get paid 600+ working more at my current job lol

having said that though.. i hope no one from siemens stumbles across this board :S:S lol i still want to weigh up my options. The way I see it is... if i get this... i can go straight into HR after i graduate well assuming my plan goes into place

06-(sem 1) Kelly internship
06(sem 2) Siemens internship
07(sem 1) Siemens (but depends i might leave earlier if the pay does get to me)
07(sem 2)- MEXICO!!!
08(sem 1)- some HR entry level position/part time
08(sem 2)- if i decide to do honors i'll have to do this semester... however i'll only be doing 2 subjects so im hoping to do HR full time (entry level) at the company i did part time in sem 1 of 08

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Your plan looks awesome Anne. Good lot of experience..
clairegirl said:
having said that though.. i hope no one from siemens stumbles across this board :S:S lol i still want to weigh up my options.
I wouldn't worry in all seriousness; you've not said anything bad... I think MJ an I have just shot our options, though! ;)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Skittled said:
Your plan looks awesome Anne. Good lot of experience..
I wouldn't worry in all seriousness; you've not said anything bad... I think MJ an I have just shot our options, though! ;)
im guessing you wouldn't take it then?

what about you fornstar, mj, mserica etc everyone else? ... would you take the job despite the pay? edit: or lack thereof :\

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Skittled said:
lol skittled i just read your post properly lol... i didn't mean it that way.. i didn't like the secruity tag thing at all! i hate intimidating places .. lol i worded it funny didn't i ... my bad.. ide much prefer the likes of a professional but "homely" looking work environment... lol

I just meant that the security tag thing concocted images of beauracracy (Sp?) and errm ugliness.. which is another thing on my "con" list. However i say its alright coz the inside looks a lot more friendly/homely and their cafeteria is awsome!

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
clairegirl said:
lol skittled i just read your post properly lol...
lol I was just playing, clairegirl -- not taking the piss or anything, just being silly.

Don't know that I'd take the job. If they were more flexible about their hours/working requirements, I might, but I couldn't work 4 days a week... and I've voiced my thoughts about the $14. :)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i dont have any HR experience and would work for free!!! :D

good luck with it Anne

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
you would not work for free just to get HR experience.. lol

ohh actually whooops i did hahaha

mserica

HSC
Well ive worked for a major news corporation and security tags, photo id were the norm, you kinda get used to it - i agree it is scary at first but then you see the reasons behind it, and the monitoring of staff hours etc.

If i was starting out in HR i would do it, i would take it look at the company it is highly recognised and honeslty if i had a position available for a HR Entry level i would take someone who has worked there rather than someone who has done HR at the a small firm, or company.

The question is if you need the money to survive then no dont take it, but if you after experience you should get a variety from them!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
mserica said:
Well ive worked for a major news corporation and security tags, photo id were the norm, you kinda get used to it - i agree it is scary at first but then you see the reasons behind it, and the monitoring of staff hours etc.

If i was starting out in HR i would do it, i would take it look at the company it is highly recognised and honeslty if i had a position available for a HR Entry level i would take someone who has worked there rather than someone who has done HR at the a small firm, or company.

The question is if you need the money to survive then no dont take it, but if you after experience you should get a variety from them!

Thats so true erica..

I don't need the money to live off.. i leech off my parentals (in terms of board and other stuff)

Hrrm... we'll see...

thanx for letting me see the other side erica!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)