BCom/BSc first year subjects (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im thinking along the lines of finance and maths majors. i look at that first year planner at the unsw portal and it seems like acct is not a core subject. i always thought it was...please explain.

thanks

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Finance and maths?

Sem 1
ACCT1501
ECON1101
MATH1131 or MATH1141
FINS1612

Sem2
ACCT1511
ECON1102
MATH1231 or MATH1241
FINS1613 or MATH1081

I would recommend not doing MATH1081 in first semester, although you can if you want to. Doing one maths course first will give you a feel for university style maths.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
Finance and maths?

Sem 1
ACCT1501
ECON1101
MATH1131 or MATH1141
FINS1612

Sem2
ACCT1511
ECON1102
MATH1231 or MATH1241
FINS1613 or MATH1081

I would recommend not doing MATH1081 in first semester, although you can if you want to. Doing one maths course first will give you a feel for university style maths.
math 1081 discrete maths is pretty easy - it's not like calculus/algebra stuff in math1a and 1b. you can easily do well even if u do it in session 1.

however, i recommend that you do discrete maths before you do computing 1 as ur other 1st yr science subject ( you need to do at least 24uoc of 1st yr science in comm/sci). the ideas from counting theory and modular arithmetic are useful in creating algorithms.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Do the computing 1 in first session, if you don't you might run into some trouble later on with clashes. Also, FINS1612 can be easily skipped since it's not prerequisite to most of the finance subjects.

Raginsheep

HSC
Is it better to follow the plan on the site or make your own?

jayde87

HSC
so if i want to major in psychology... i just do accounting 1a, 1b, micro, macro and psychology 1a, 1b?

can we do more than 3 courses per semester?

thanks in advance

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Affinity said:
computing first semester is more fun :p
Agreed!

Discrete is hardly a subject which shows what Maths at uni is about.

MAICHI said:
Do the computing 1 in first session, if you don't you might run into some trouble later on with clashes. Also, FINS1612 can be easily skipped since it's not prerequisite to most of the finance subjects.
FINS1612 is core course and is co-req for FINS1613 which is pre-req for FINS2624 which is pre-req for most of the FUN Finance subjects.... get my drift..... DO FINS1612

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
jayde87 said:
so if i want to major in psychology... i just do accounting 1a, 1b, micro, macro and psychology 1a, 1b?

can we do more than 3 courses per semester?

thanks in advance
Yes that is correct.

You are expected to do 24UOC (units of credit) per semester for Bcom/Bsci, which means FOUR courses per semester (6 UOC per course).

Affinity

HSC
You don't need FINS1612 to start 1613, Macroeconomics and accounting will suffice as prerequisites.

Four courses per semester is standard.. it is highly unlikely that the commerce faculty will allow more. The chaps at the maths department are more flexible though.

Last edited:

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
In Session 1 are you allowed to have 4 courses of mix of COmmerce and Science courses or does it have to be one or the other ? and do the courses have like order... as in you should do this one before the other one. Generally i am really lost on what courses i should pick for session 1.... a list of about 17 of them appeared and i have to chose 4.... from waht i read.... which ones do i choose ?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Razengen said:
In Session 1 are you allowed to have 4 courses of mix of COmmerce and Science courses or does it have to be one or the other ? and do the courses have like order... as in you should do this one before the other one. Generally i am really lost on what courses i should pick for session 1.... a list of about 17 of them appeared and i have to chose 4.... from waht i read.... which ones do i choose ?
Yes you can mix the courses up from either faculty. If you tell us what degree and majors you are doing, better advice can be given. Yes most courses have to be in order because there are requirements for you to do one before another.

For commerce/science you should be doing what Timmy listed above except you don't have to do FINS, unless you are majoring in Finance.

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
Yes im doing a Bcom/Bscience .... planning to major in Finance and Health and sport science.... the timetable that Timmy suggested looks like sem1 is all Commerce related.... and has no Science involvement... is that more ideal than doing say 2 courses of COmmerce and 2 courses from Science ?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
Agreed!

Discrete is hardly a subject which shows what Maths at uni is about.

FINS1612 is core course and is co-req for FINS1613 which is pre-req for FINS2624 which is pre-req for most of the FUN Finance subjects.... get my drift..... DO FINS1612
Discrete is made a fairly easy introductory subject because it's for all students, not just Maths students (mostly computer science students) and for students doing ordinary level maths.

In terms of content, it is useful for later yr algebra/number theory/combinatorics.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
That will be up to you, university is very flexible and as long as the timetable works out you can do what ever you want. It's not more ideal, just that sometimes you might require core subjects to take other subjects in later sessions, so you just do them all first. It really is up to you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)